Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-06-2010, 12:15 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Great deal on snow tires!

I just bought 4 of these and there are four left:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/215-5...item255def207d

$50 for Blizzaks is a GREAT deal!

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 10-06-2010, 01:01 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Re: Great deal on snow tires!

10 minutes after I posted this, someone bought the last 4. I hope it was one of you.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
Old 10-06-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
I just bought 4 of these and there are four left:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/215-5...item255def207d

$50 for Blizzaks is a GREAT deal!
Good price but...
What are you going to do with them?
If a person has a clue how to drive in the snow, they certainly don't need snow tires on a SVX. Al-weather works like a dream.

Keith
Old 10-06-2010, 01:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to StatGSR

^ are you serious? for one thing you can stop and turn with snow tires... All seasons don't work in the summer or the winter....
Old 10-06-2010, 02:04 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatGSR View Post
^ are you serious? for one thing you can stop and turn with snow tires... All seasons don't work in the summer or the winter....
Yeah, crazy thing about traction...the more you have, the better off you are. Sure, I can keep control of my car driving racing slicks on 6" of snow. But it would take me a lot longer to get to work!

So did a forum member get these?

Old 10-06-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatGSR View Post
^^Back to "driving 101"

Keith
Old 10-06-2010, 02:33 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
Good price but...
If a person has a clue how to drive in the snow, they certainly don't need snow tires on a SVX. Al-weather works like a dream.

Keith
Really, I always thought it was if a person had a clue how to drive in the snow they certainly don't need the penalties associated with AWD in the first place. As was already stated, real winter tires give you the opportunity to buy real summer tires not master of none all season crap.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:43 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
Really, I always thought it was if a person had a clue how to drive in the snow they certainly don't need the penalties associated with AWD in the first place. As was already stated, real winter tires give you the opportunity to buy real summer tires not master of none all season crap.
FWIW, a SVX equipped with snow tires only gets stopped by about 15 inches of snow; as experienced by me during the Februrary blizzard

Tony, my only advice would be to check the age of the tires when you receive them. If they're more than 3-5 years old, get your money back. 3-5 year old tires are more hassle than they're worth (read: tread separation is no fun).
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 10-06-2010, 03:35 PM
Hater

Exclamation Re: Great deal on snow tires!

The SVX was a BEAST in the snow with some crappy Weatherhandler snow tires - much better than the LGT with Blizzaks. This was probably due to the SVX's FWD bias, and skinnier tires.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 10-06-2010, 04:07 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
The SVX was a BEAST in the snow with some crappy Weatherhandler snow tires - much better than the LGT with Blizzaks. This was probably due to the SVX's FWD bias, and skinnier tires.
Does the LGT have LSD in rear like the SVX?
1997 Ebony #308 113k "The Black Diva"SOLD
1992 Black over Liquid Silver 152k SOLD
1992 Ebony 251k 444 SOLD
1999 Silver SLK230 134k SOLD
1997 Green Outback 137k SOLD
2013 Honda Accord I4 SOLD
2015 Subaru Crosstrek 30k
2018 Tesla M3 30k
Old 10-06-2010, 04:22 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
Good price but...

Keith
Wearing no seatbelts also works like a dream, as long as you never hit something.

I drive in the snow and ice 5-ish months of the year. There are no "all season" tires that I would trust on my car once the snow is flying. AWD is great, but doesn't help you stop one bit. My snows might get me stopped a bit shorter, but if that extra 10 feet is the back end of a stopped semi then I got my money's worth out of them.

I also like getting the best cornering performance I can from my car during the summer, which means I run high performance "summer tires". Last year, just for kicks, I left them on for the first snowfall. My AWD tank couldn't climb a driveway with a slight grade.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 10-06-2010, 07:45 PM

Don't know about summer tires. Don't know about cheap all weather tires. Don't know about cheep snow tires.

All I know is that for the last 20 years I have driven Subaru's with premium M&S tires several thousand miles in snow conditions without a problem.

In most cases There were so many cars that had spun out beside the roads, including freeways that it reminded me of a war zone. From the conversation going on here, more than likely some of you were there beside the road as we drove by.

My 90 legacy brought me home several years ago from Reno on a highway that was actually closed to traffic. Only vehicle we saw was a big 4wd rig from Canada that was on our tail with us traveling 70-80- mph all the way. The snow was several feet deep on both sides of the road that it almost seemed like we were driving in a tunnel.

In the SVX a few years back I-5 north was closed and the whole freeway was like a parking lot. Hundreds of people spent the night on the freeway and many just got out and tried to walk home. My wife worked 25 miles away and got off work at midnight. I drove the 25 miles and picked her up and drove her home. I didn't see one car moving on I-5 north the whole 25 miles of my trip to pick her up.

I have mentioned several times that "we pray a lot".

Keith
Old 10-06-2010, 08:01 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
Wearing no seatbelts also works like a dream, as long as you never hit something.

I drive in the snow and ice 5-ish months of the year. There are no "all season" tires that I would trust on my car once the snow is flying. AWD is great, but doesn't help you stop one bit. My snows might get me stopped a bit shorter, but if that extra 10 feet is the back end of a stopped semi then I got my money's worth out of them.

I also like getting the best cornering performance I can from my car during the summer, which means I run high performance "summer tires". Last year, just for kicks, I left them on for the first snowfall. My AWD tank couldn't climb a driveway with a slight grade.
You are talking crazy like you are a tire expert or something. ;-) Imagine, Blizzaks stopping or cornering better on black ice and snow than even the best all-season tires. And, imagine, wanting such a thing.

Two things I know to be true are:

1. Blizzaks are better than all-season tires on black ice (can't be seen) and snow.
2. If a man equates being wrong with being a failure or a loser and that man fears being a failure or a loser then that man will argue with anyone that does anything different than he does.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:08 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

My SVX made it over wintry Mt Rose pass countless times when I worked in Incline with just A/S tires. Just had to be careful.

On the other hand anyone who has done a good amount of winter driving in mountains on snow tires can appreciate how much grippier they are, especially when you need to stop fast on a downgrade. They give you more traction to play with.

So we are all right, the SVX is awesome in the snow, but even better with snow tires.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:22 PM
Alleged User

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
2. If a man equates being wrong with being a failure or a loser and that man fears being a failure or a loser then that man will argue with anyone that does anything different than he does.
LOL so true.

I run a set of dedicated snow tires on my WRX in the winter, and all I can say is 350+ hp and AWD equipped with snow tires is the most fun I've ever had in any car.

I ran all-season tires for years on all my cars, but ever since I switched, I'll never buy another set of all-seasons for anything. When it's time for new tires on the SVX, it will get two sets - one dedicated to winter and one for summer.

1997 SVX LSi Bordeaux Pearl
1995 SVX L AWD Polo Green - 277k miles
1986 Pontiac Fiero 3.4L Twin Dual Cam V6