Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-09-2007, 07:17 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
High Pitch noise starts at 2000 rpm

Well being enjoying me car, noticed when I accelerate starting at 2000 Rpm I can hear a kinda high Pitched noise, not like metal on metal or anything its different. Hard to describe . Anyone have any idea what I should start to look and check?

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 08-09-2007, 08:52 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Is it only while driving or can you do it while revving in Park?
Old 08-09-2007, 09:01 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
While in park got it up to 2000 rpm and it did , its like a whistle high pitched, again hard to describe :/

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild

Last edited by Wikedjuggalo; 08-09-2007 at 09:08 PM.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:43 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Checked Transmission fluid , oil etc. all good, any ideas?

Old 08-09-2007, 11:33 PM
OOC for a while

Send a message via AIM to 94SubieSVX
Check the drive belts. If they're a little worn they will squeal. That's what happened to me at least. It sounded like a dieing cat
Old 08-09-2007, 11:56 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94SubieSVX
Check the drive belts. If they're a little worn they will squeal. That's what happened to me at least. It sounded like a dieing cat
Sounds Reasonable, its has 170K miles on it, no telling when/if its been replaced I'll check on it tomorrow

Old 08-10-2007, 03:17 AM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Does it sound like the sound in my videos?

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40027
Old 08-13-2007, 01:14 AM
Still rebuilding my block...
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to cozykat Send a message via MSN to cozykat Send a message via Yahoo to cozykat
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
It might also be bearings in your compressor or alternator going.
I have been having a high pitched sound myself but only when I am at higher rpms. Originally, me and Dustin (odepaj) took a listen with a regular screw driver and were thinking it was my AC compressor going because I could hear the same high pitch sound inside it while sitting at idle. Then I asked Scott (SA SVX) to take a look since he rebuilt his AC system. Well, he suggested listening to my car with a screw driver with a wooden handle and he noticed that when my AC is off, you can still here this high pitch whine but it sounded more hollow. So after listening to my alternator.. it seems the sound is originating there and traveling into my ac. All my belts and fluids are recently replaced but I had the sound long before as well. It was just more noticeable when I replaced the power steering pulleys. My next plan is to have my alternator rebuilt/replaced and see if the high pitch whine goes away. I am hoping so since I can't locate the sound coming from anywhere else - it really seems to be focused inside the alternator.
I will see when I get her back from the paint shop if I can put her "whine" on youtube as well.
TTYL

'93 LSL Anniversary Edition - 02/93 - 150,998 Daily Driver - Forged EG33 (long block), 6MT swap, and re-upholstered interior
'92 Pearl - 100k Side restoration project
Locker | Old Locker | Shutterfly | ReadingIX | Facebook | Instagram
Old 08-13-2007, 02:47 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozykat
It might also be bearings in your compressor or alternator going.
I have been having a high pitched sound myself but only when I am at higher rpms. Originally, me and Dustin (odepaj) took a listen with a regular screw driver and were thinking it was my AC compressor going because I could hear the same high pitch sound inside it while sitting at idle. Then I asked Scott (SA SVX) to take a look since he rebuilt his AC system. Well, he suggested listening to my car with a screw driver with a wooden handle and he noticed that when my AC is off, you can still here this high pitch whine but it sounded more hollow. So after listening to my alternator.. it seems the sound is originating there and traveling into my ac. All my belts and fluids are recently replaced but I had the sound long before as well. It was just more noticeable when I replaced the power steering pulleys. My next plan is to have my alternator rebuilt/replaced and see if the high pitch whine goes away. I am hoping so since I can't locate the sound coming from anywhere else - it really seems to be focused inside the alternator.
I will see when I get her back from the paint shop if I can put her "whine" on youtube as well.
TTYL
I am not seeming to have any mechanical problems, but it just bothers me . If something is getting to the point where it is going bad, I wanna catch it before it is completely bad. I will attempt to do some investigating as soon as I have some time .

Old 08-13-2007, 09:57 PM
Still rebuilding my block...
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to cozykat Send a message via MSN to cozykat Send a message via Yahoo to cozykat
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo
I am not seeming to have any mechanical problems, but it just bothers me . If something is getting to the point where it is going bad, I wanna catch it before it is completely bad. I will attempt to do some investigating as soon as I have some time .
Yeah, same here. My car runs great but the annoyance of the high pitch sound made me investigate. It just embarrasses me.

'93 LSL Anniversary Edition - 02/93 - 150,998 Daily Driver - Forged EG33 (long block), 6MT swap, and re-upholstered interior
'92 Pearl - 100k Side restoration project
Locker | Old Locker | Shutterfly | ReadingIX | Facebook | Instagram