IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2007, 08:07 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foofmonger
Here's the deal. The car is at a transmission shop not with an oil change guy.
They are not experts with Svxs. I did call a Subaru dealer service manager who was somewhat familiar with parts, issues, etc. but again I didn't get the
feeling that I was talking to an expert. However, the one thing that they said was that the 1995 model and transmission are different from any other year and that a 93 transmission would not mount to a 95 flexplate which is what I was shown when I went to the tranny shop. The transmission was in and all connected except the holes do not line up at the front end of the transmission where it connects to the engine via the flex plate. I stood under the car and the guy pointed out that the new tranny didn't line up which I did see to be true. At that time we did not know that there was a Legacy torque converter on the transmission. One other twist to this story is that we already had one transmission that we bought from a place in New Jersey that imports used engines and transmissions from Japan directly and that did not fit this car either. This was at another garage and we thought that that the problem was that the Japanese version was not compatible so we returned it for a refund. Right now I am not sure what to do. No one seems to want to speak to the 1995 issue and whether this is causing the problem. The transmission repair guy feels that he need a 95 transmission to make everything fit. Help.
OK.
I just went to
www.subaruparts.com
and looked up a 4wd, SVX, 1997, 1996, 1995, 1994, 1993, and 1992 flywheel.
ALL show part #12332AA052
If you are trying to use a Legacy torque converter, don't.
Please use the SVX torque converter, and an SVX flexplate/flywheel.
I tried to look this stuff up last night, but my computer was,,,,just messin with me!
I have installed alot of 1996 and 1997 Legacy Outbacl transmissions over the last four years, and my share of stock SVxi trannys, and the flexplate has never been an issue.
If you want your mechanic to call me, thats ok too.
301-707-3437
Tom
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 08-11-2007, 11:11 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Why is nobody mentioning that whoever sold him the transmission probably sold him the wrong one. He said it was a 93 svx transmission he was putting onto his 95 svx? It sounds like it came with a legacy/impreza/not-svx torque converter. If the transmission came with a legacy/impreza/not-svx torque converter it's probably not an svx tansmission. That means the gear ratio of the transmission is likely not going to match his rear end either.

Look at the torque converter again. You will find that the tabs with the bolt holes are 1" wide tabs not 2" wide tabs like your svx converter. That will clearly identify the torque converter as not an svx torque converter. All SVX torque converters have 2" wide tabs.

Having identified the torque converter as a not-svx torque converter you can pretty much assume you have the wrong transmission. You are going to have to pull the transmission off again no matter what but once it's off you can choose to get a new svx torque converter, use the vin off the top of the trans to identify what it is off of, and have svxfiles build you a rear end.....or send it back and try once again to find the correct transmission. I'm sorry to hear you've gotten boned over twice now.

(If you have money you can also consider getting a built transmission from me which comes with the correct/new torque converter)
Old 08-12-2007, 10:59 AM

Thanks for the advice. I gave Tom's reply to the garage in case they had a question. And Michael you are also right on the point about the torque converter because I contacted the person who sold us the transmission and told them that the transmission was not fitting and that is when I learned that they had put a Legacy tc on the Svx transmission. When I mentioned this to the transmission repair guy he said that noticed that the torque converter looked like it was "forced on" or something to that effect. Anyway, where we stand now is that the transmission is coming out again and our original 95 tc is going on the 93 transmission. My question right now would be whether using the Legacy tc by the former owner for a couple of thousand miles could have screwed up the transmission or is it ok?
Old 08-12-2007, 12:51 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
You shouldn't re-use your old torque converter. The reason you are supposed to use the torque converter that comes with a transmission is presumably the transmission you are getting as a replacement is good and therefore the torque converter shouldn't be full of metal,etc. Presumably the transmission you are replacing is bad and therefore the torque converter in it may be full of metal. You should get a rebuilt/new svx torque converter since you didn't get one with the transmission that was sent to you.

Also I would still get the vin off of that transmission and double check what car that transmission came out of to make sure you are running the right gear ratio. I find it hard to believe that someone installed an svx transmission with a legacy torque converter. It's a lot more likely they installed a legacy transmission, torque converter, and flex plate in an svx--hopefully with a matching rear end.

If you install that transmission without changing rear ends and it isn't a 3.545 what then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foofmonger
Thanks for the advice. I gave Tom's reply to the garage in case they had a question. And Michael you are also right on the point about the torque converter because I contacted the person who sold us the transmission and told them that the transmission was not fitting and that is when I learned that they had put a Legacy tc on the Svx transmission. When I mentioned this to the transmission repair guy he said that noticed that the torque converter looked like it was "forced on" or something to that effect. Anyway, where we stand now is that the transmission is coming out again and our original 95 tc is going on the 93 transmission. My question right now would be whether using the Legacy tc by the former owner for a couple of thousand miles could have screwed up the transmission or is it ok?