SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-21-2007, 10:31 AM
OOC for a while

Send a message via AIM to 94SubieSVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaSteevo
Acetone is the active ingredient in nail polish remover. As crazy said it's pretty harsh stuff. I've been told up to 3oz is safe per 10 gal of gas, so I figured 4oz was a safe amount for our 16 gal tank.

To test your TPS you can check the voltage on the signal wire (I believe it's the white one) with an autometer. The correct reading is around .97-1 if I remember, but a search should turn up more info. The ECU reconfigures itself for the TPS reading though, so I'm not sure if that would have a big effect.

P.S. Missed the post with the 2000+ reading, that is insane!

Im not sure if I'm gonna put the acetone in since since I've had the car I put fuel injector cleaner in and the guarenteed to pass. IDK if too much can ruin things or not though.

When testing the TPS does the car need to be running? Or can I take it out and test it that way?

Yeah 2000+ is ridiculous, there's no way it can jump 500% from the 2nd reading just from a fuel filter.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:46 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94SubieSVX
Im not sure if I'm gonna put the acetone in since since I've had the car I put fuel injector cleaner in and the guarenteed to pass. IDK if too much can ruin things or not though.

When testing the TPS does the car need to be running? Or can I take it out and test it that way?

Yeah 2000+ is ridiculous, there's no way it can jump 500% from the 2nd reading just from a fuel filter.
Here's the how-to on the TPS.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300

Last edited by SubaSteevo; 08-21-2007 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:14 PM
OOC for a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaSteevo
Here's the how-to on the TPS.

Awsome! that's next on the to-do list
Old 10-02-2007, 03:36 PM
OOC for a while

Whatttttt

Ok so I had it re-inspected for the 4th time today. I didn't change anything, just had to inspect it so I can get more time until I get my exhaust done. I had mommy drive it since I had school. All the other times it was inspected it was above 80 degrees F except today it was in the morning at about 60 degrees F. Also, I didn't drive it for a while before so everything was all warmed up. Somehow it passed with an HC reading of 38!!! I have no idea how that happened since I did nothing to the car since the 3rd inspection. How weird is that?? Anyway, I'm a happy a$$ camper since I don't have to worry about driving a failed car around anymore
Old 10-02-2007, 10:53 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94SubieSVX View Post
Ok so I had it re-inspected for the 4th time today. I didn't change anything, just had to inspect it so I can get more time until I get my exhaust done. I had mommy drive it since I had school. All the other times it was inspected it was above 80 degrees F except today it was in the morning at about 60 degrees F. Also, I didn't drive it for a while before so everything was all warmed up. Somehow it passed with an HC reading of 38!!! I have no idea how that happened since I did nothing to the car since the 3rd inspection. How weird is that?? Anyway, I'm a happy a$$ camper since I don't have to worry about driving a failed car around anymore
Glad to hear you finally passed

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 10-03-2007, 05:18 AM
OOC for a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaSteevo View Post
Glad to hear you finally passed
Thanks
Old 12-18-2007, 01:42 PM

Here are some notes from a Wiki (generic):

High hydrocarbon emissions from a vehicle may be caused by improper ignition timing, faulty ignition, misfiring problems, vacuum leaks, worn piston rings or valves or an exhaust gas recirculation system incorrectly operating at idle. One fouled spark plug can result in extremely high hydrocarbon emissions. Start by replacing the spark plugs and plug wires. Replace every single vacuum line under the hood. Replace them one at a time, so as to not get confused. Clean you EGR Valve of any carbon deposits, and make sure it is functioning correctly. Pour a can of a good Fuel Injector cleaner such as Seafoam or Techron in a full tank of fuel. Leave the cheap stuff on the shelf, as is does very little good. To remove built up carbon deposits, inject it through the intake by following the directions on a can of Seafoam. Have someone check the timing on this vehicle. Check the smog pump to see if it is functioning. A compression check will verify if you have worn rings or a burnt valve.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:09 PM
OOC for a while

Idk if you read this from the beginning but I had had some hesitation at highway speeds. So OT plugged it in and showed something with the left O2 sensor. He checked it, it was wired up wrong because it was a universal O2 sensor with no plug. Since it was all screwed up it would retard timing and some other things which werent good. Anyway I think that could have been the culprit or the whole thing.