IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2007, 12:43 AM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Questions about programming security system

I have a few questions about the factory security / keyless entry system.

First, here are several threads that describe the programming / reprogramming procedure:
reprograming a remote keyless

Programming the Remote

security system

Plus there are a few more documents in the Security System folder of the How-To Locker.
When programming, you do not need to start the engine. You only need to turn the key as far as the on (ignition) position. The security module can't tell whether you started the engine or not.

Frequently not mentioned: You need to completely close both doors and the trunk before you begin the procedure.

According to cars101.com, system is standard/optional in these years/models (USDM):
  • 1992 — standard, all models
  • 1993 — standard, all models. Trivia: Door lock rocker switch added to center console.
  • 1994 — optional L, LS; standard LSi
  • 1995 — optional L, LS; standard LSi
  • 1996 — optional L; standard LSi
  • 1997 — not offered L; standard LSi
On any models that were shipped without the security system, it could, of course, be purchased and installed as an accessory.

System was not available in Canada or Japan (harness/wiring not even present).

Last edited by SVXdc; 05-31-2009 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:44 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Here are my questions. Please answer only if you know for sure (preferably because you've verified in your own SVX, or you can point to a thread where someone else said they had). Be sure to mention whether your car is USDM (or has any mods that might affect security system functionality).

1) A Subaru document says that "the electronic control unit must receive five transmitter codes for the system to operate" (up to 5 transmitters one time each, or a smaller number of transmitters pressed multiple times on some or all of them to add up to 5).

Some people's instructions say to enter 4 (a couple of the documents in the How-To area are inconsistent within the same document!).

Does programming only 4 codes work?
Should work, since you can program just 2.

Has anyone tried programming 5 different transmitters?

2) Has anyone tried fewer? One person wrote that when you have just one transmitter, you only need to press its button twice, then you're done. Is that correct?
Yes, programming 2 slots works. But are you required to program at least 2? Or can you enter just 1?

3) At what point does the system forget the previous transmitters --
A) As soon as you successfully enter programming mode (even without storing any transmitters)?
No.

B) After programming the first one?
No.

C) Not until you have reprogrammed (written over) the previous transmitter's slot? (for example, if the old one was in the 3rd slot, does it stay until you program something new into the 3rd slot?)
Yes, this is what's happening. See my post #23.

D) Not until you have reprogrammed all slots?
No. You are not required to enter 5 slots for the programming session to be successful (it's just a smart thing to do, to insure you have erased any potentially bogus codes).
4) One person wrote that to get into programming mode, you need to press the security button 'not too slow and not too fast'. Approximately what rates work? Is twice per second too slow?

5) To turn the system on or off, does the ignition key need to be in the "on" position, or just inserted into the ignition (but not turned), or key not needed at all?

6) The security module has a fuse. Is the value 1 Amp?

7) The instructions say that you can arm the system using the door lock slider or the key in the driver's door. Does the "lock" button on the center console work too?

8) Subaru's instructions also say that after arming the system using the slider or key, the system automatically locks the doors 20 seconds after the last door is closed. Is that correct?

9) If the passenger's door is open, when the driver closes his door, then tries to arm the system with the transmitter, does it arm after the passenger finally closes that door?

If the passenger closes that door without holding up the door handle to keep it locked, does the system lock the doors 20 (or whatever) seconds later?

10) A Subaru document says that the system turns on the dome light when you disarm. Does it really? I'm wondering how, since the module doesn't seem to have a wire for that. Perhaps on 92 and 93s, as a side-effect of unlocking the doors?
Confirmed. All model years. The module triggers the dome light via the door switch "input" pin. See my post #19.

Last edited by SVXdc; 06-02-2009 at 01:12 AM.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:56 AM

Send a message via MSN to 2NI
Quote:
10) A Subaru document says that the system turns on the dome light when you disarm. Does it really? I'm wondering how, since the module doesn't seem to have a wire for that. Perhaps on 92 and 93s, as a side-effect of unlocking the doors?

I have the car since yesterday ('92) and I'm having big trouble with this stupid Subaru security system also...

Security ON: I can arm/desarm the alarm with the remote but the doors won't lock???

Security OFF: Doors lock/unlock OK with remote???

And that brings me to you: the answer's right here, quoted in BOLD.

Maybe you have one for me now before I turn totally crazy?
Old 03-03-2007, 10:11 AM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
I have programed one and two different remotes without the additional steps and they work fine.

I have never programed 5 or more though.

All of these are very good questions and I will work on trying some of them to see what the answers are.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 03-15-2007, 09:59 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NI
Security ON: I can arm/desarm the alarm with the remote but the doors won't lock???

Security OFF: Doors lock/unlock OK with remote???
I don't have the factory security system -- my SVX didn't come with it, and I always thought they were too expensive to add (especially since many people say theirs have gone bad).

I wonder if, when the system is on, it won't lock the doors until all of them are closed. Perhaps in your SVX the security module thinks that one of the doors is open -- either a bad door sensor switch or bad wire or connection?
Old 03-15-2007, 10:40 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Here's my theory about programming remotes:

The system has 5 "slots" to learn transmitters. It has no function to "forget all previous remotes" like newer systems do. So you can only erase an old remote "slot" by overwriting -- programming something new into that slot (option C under #3 in my earlier post).

There may be some additional rules -- such as you must program at least two slots. That would explain #2.

But if my theory is correct, you could program 5 transmitters, go back and reprogram just the first 1 or 2 slots, and still have numbers 3-5 from before. If that's true, then that would be a good reason to always program all 5 slots -- so you're sure to erase any bogus ones that an evil person tried to sneak in.

Also, regarding #10: My '96 does not light the dome lights when I unlock the doors via the pin on the security module harness. So I'm fairly certain that 94-97 won't either. I'm not sure about 92/93. Answered (thanks, svxcess, for making me do some more tests). See update in post #2.

Again, anyone who can test any of these and answer, please do. A bunch of the questions can be tested by one person with one transmitter. One of the upcoming meets would be a great opportunity to check numbers 1-3 -- there will likely be a bunch of people who have the factory system, so there will be more than 5 different transmitters to play with.

Last edited by SVXdc; 04-26-2007 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:44 AM
Network Design Administrator

My 93's lights have always come on/off with the remote.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:52 AM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
The remote only has one button right? If i got a universal remote only the lock/unlock functions would work with the factory syste, and remote start and panic mode would not function, correct? Has anyone picked up an after-market system with remote start that functions properly? I would htink most shops would not like to install into our cars.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 03-15-2007, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySVX
The remote only has one button right? If i got a universal remote only the lock/unlock functions would work with the factory syste, and remote start and panic mode would not function, correct? Has anyone picked up an after-market system with remote start that functions properly? I would htink most shops would not like to install into our cars.
IIRC there are actually 2 buttons on the PCB Board... but only one is pushable when installed in the casing...

I actually have an aftermarket alarm installed in my car from a place called 'Soundsource' in Burlington, NJ... he quoted for me a remote start when I got the alarm, but I decided against it, so I know its possible.

My current alarm has internal and external radar, which is nice for parking with the windows down/sunroof open in the summer.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)

Old 03-15-2007, 11:12 AM

Do you happen to remember what he quoted you. I have a few different remotes i want to try out and program my car for, just to see if they work.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 03-15-2007, 11:31 AM

I paid $425 for the alarm, internal/external radar... installed with lifetime support (although I no longer live there)... I think it was only going to cost me another $125 or so at the time for the remote start... but do keep in mind this was back in 1997-2001 timeframe...

Jon (the owner) is a stand up guy and I would reccomend his services to anyone. I have found cheaper prices in the internet for things I have bought from him, told him so and he price matched...

You will pay premium for some of the things he does, but once you set foot in his store, and he talks to you a bit, you will completely understand why, and be willing to pay it.

Last edited by RSVX; 03-15-2007 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:50 AM

Agreed. There is defidently something to be said for the quality of customer service and quality of workmanship that you recieve. I have a few places blacklisted for that reason alone.

Old 03-15-2007, 11:58 AM

Wow, he actually has a website now!!

http://www.thesoundsource.us/

Old 04-25-2007, 11:16 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

We interrupt the above thread hijack to BUMP this thread and again ask for answers to the questions in post #2.

If you have the factory security system and can test, please report what the "proper" operation is. Be sure to say your model year, since 92s and early 93s may work differently. Also mention if your car is something other than USDM.

If you have unrelated questions, please start a new thread.

Thanks!
Old 04-25-2007, 11:20 PM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Someone with an aftermarket got a stock module they wanna mail me to test?