IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2007, 05:12 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
That's the ballpark I'd expect for ya but I would've thought you'd be even a little cheaper given your age, number of vehicles and record. Our total bill for 100k/300k, limited tort, 5k in extra medical, 2 vehicles with full coverage (one even a business policy), SVX with glass, XT with just liablity is $1300 a year. The truck and legacy alone are $930 of it! SVX comes in about $190 a year for me so long as I stay under the 5k miles for limited use Then you gotta consider locations too and I'd say were about even on that maybe a slight edge toward you.

Mine runs as low as anyone I know locally...but I don't have the SVX on a Limited use policy, which might make the difference...heck, I doubt I put 5,000 on either the XT6, nor the SVX in a year, as I ride my bike when ever possiable...might check into that.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 02-19-2007, 11:37 AM
I kill more trannies then god

Quote:
Congrats and get yourself glass coverage. Costs me $12 a year for my SVX and NO I DON'T HAVE FULL COVERAGE ON IT! $12 vs $1000 is a big difference.
i never thought i would say this but ben was right it cost me like $5 a month to add on windsheild coverage, not full coverage, just windsheild, thanks ben
Old 02-19-2007, 05:23 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Pricier than mine Jeff but alas you're younger a swingin single and probably don't have the anal account wife to ensure you're credit is immaculate. $60 a year still is great piece of mind though considering it would take about 20 years of paying it to buy a new windshield. By that time you're windshild will be swiss cheese out there I'd think as you're in a sand state for winter weather aren't ya?
Old 02-19-2007, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Pricier than mine Jeff but alas you're younger a swingin single and probably don't have the anal account wife to ensure you're credit is immaculate. $60 a year still is great piece of mind though considering it would take about 20 years of paying it to buy a new windshield. By that time you're windshild will be swiss cheese out there I'd think as you're in a sand state for winter weather aren't ya?
yeah vrs the price of a window, and actually my cradit is immiculate, i don't know my exact score but i got $4,000 credit line just by asking at my bank, the guy who set it up told me i was one of the first people my age he had seen get that much
Old 02-20-2007, 04:19 AM
Soobologist

Send a message via AIM to subeman90
Registered SVX
...and keep your score that way too..it will help you 10 fold later on in life!

so you gonna do a 5 speed swap?
Old 02-20-2007, 06:08 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by subeman90

Yeah its amazing how much it effects the price of everything you need like insurance, health care, jobs etc...

Jeff when I bought my SVX my credit union didn't even run my credit. I filled out the form while she wrote me the 8k check. It helps when you've got a 4 digit account number starting with 1 as well I'm sure. Wasn't saying you didn't have good credit but you don't have a ton of credit history which also plays a big part into it. Just wait til you get married. You're driving must get 40% better as your rates go down about that much.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subeman90

eventually yes but for now i'm gonna throw a leg tranny in it and call it good its a 5spd swap or dragon and we both know which one of those i'm gonna pick
Old 02-24-2007, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Yeah its amazing how much it effects the price of everything you need like insurance, health care, jobs etc...

Jeff when I bought my SVX my credit union didn't even run my credit. I filled out the form while she wrote me the 8k check. It helps when you've got a 4 digit account number starting with 1 as well I'm sure. Wasn't saying you didn't have good credit but you don't have a ton of credit history which also plays a big part into it. Just wait til you get married. You're driving must get 40% better as your rates go down about that much.
not a ton but i have two credit cards that i use constantly and i havent had so much as a late payment since i got the first one 4 years ago, and they ran my credit for the $4k to see how much to offer me
Old 07-11-2007, 04:00 PM
Sconnie

Send a message via MSN to paulmeisterpk
My tranny is doing the same thing as this guy's was. It will go into gears when you first start the car up, but when the fluid gets warm, I lose everything. Could it be a pump has gone bad or a screwed up valve body? The trans is out of the car already and I'm deciding whether to rebuild it or not.
Thanks,
Paul
Old 07-11-2007, 08:51 PM

go with a 5spd swap, or at the very least a 4.11 auto, unless you do a lot of freeway.
the trannie was totally shot, i junked it and put a 4.11 legacy auto in, i wish i had done a 5spd
Old 07-12-2007, 12:24 AM
Sconnie

Send a message via MSN to paulmeisterpk
Well I started pulling mine apart tonight and found the brake band was scarring up the peice underneath it. What would cause this? I haven't got the planetary out yet, but thats the only thing I've found so far other than a semi-dirty filter in there.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:23 AM

you will get more responces if you start your own thread
Old 07-13-2007, 06:21 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmeisterpk
Well I started pulling mine apart tonight and found the brake band was scarring up the peice underneath it. What would cause this? I haven't got the planetary out yet, but thats the only thing I've found so far other than a semi-dirty filter in there.
Pay special attention to the valve body and anything which could be causing a drop in line pressure. A faulty or obstructed solenoid valve seat could be the problem and in particular solenoid "A", as could any other valve seating or passage obstruction.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!