Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > ECU Tune Projects

Old 03-18-2007, 01:24 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
rebuilt front pump installed

new seal installed into diff case

old axle seal being driven out of diff caps

seals and orings replaced on diff caps and reinstalled with prior lash

diff flange prepped

new converter tube seal installed
sealant applied to diff flange
ready to be installed to transmission case

differential mated to transmission

manual lever installed
parking prawl shaft installed
accumulator springs installed
1/2 accumulator spring replaced with double spring

built valve body installed

transfer clutch solenoid valve assembly removed
passages and filter cleaned

Last edited by longassname; 03-20-2007 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:26 AM
Just some dude.

transfer clutch piston re-installed with new seals
transfer clutch piston retainer replaced
notice the bonded seal on the outsie of the retainer (brown)which seals on the inside of the piston (silver)

new lathe cut seals on output shaft--the fluid which opperates the transfer clutch flows through a hole in the shaft between those seals

new transfer clutch pack installed
new transfer clutch solenoid valve installed

through bolted drive gear pressed onto shaft
new lathe cut seals installed
(through bolted drive gear is sold seperately)

transmisison with driven and drive gears installed
new extension housing gasket
ready for extension housing to be bolted on

completed built transmission ready for new filter and pan to be installed
ready for massive power
ready for extended miles
ready for improved fuel economy
ready for more power to the wheels instead of heat to the fluid

Last edited by longassname; 03-20-2007 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:03 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
The transmission to me at first looked massive, then I realized that it had the front diff housing on it too
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 03-19-2007, 08:47 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
thats one bad ass trans....for once i wish i had an auto
Old 03-20-2007, 02:20 PM

I've been following the thread with interest because when the tranny goes I want to replace with your prgraded tranny. I have 155,746 miles on the original tranny so I've been concerned as to when it will quit. When the tranny needs to be replaced does it all go dead at one time or do you start losing one gear or another until all gears go? I don't have the money to spend on replacing the tranny just because it will go bad at sometime in the future. Too many other projects and expenses. But I'd like to be prepared when it does go, if I have some warning and can arrange with one of the Tom's to do the installation. The car's a daily driver and can't sit for months waiting for a part. How many do you plan on keeping in stock and what kind of turn around time are you planning for shipping the tranny. Too bad your only doing one 3.90.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:50 PM
Just some dude.

I'm going to keep one in stock as soon as I get caught up. If you want the 3.9 I can build it for you.

The style in which your tranny will go out can vary widely. It all depends on what burns out or clogs up worst first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvan
I've been following the thread with interest because when the tranny goes I want to replace with your prgraded tranny. I have 155,746 miles on the original tranny so I've been concerned as to when it will quit. When the tranny needs to be replaced does it all go dead at one time or do you start losing one gear or another until all gears go? I don't have the money to spend on replacing the tranny just because it will go bad at sometime in the future. Too many other projects and expenses. But I'd like to be prepared when it does go, if I have some warning and can arrange with one of the Tom's to do the installation. The car's a daily driver and can't sit for months waiting for a part. How many do you plan on keeping in stock and what kind of turn around time are you planning for shipping the tranny. Too bad your only doing one 3.90.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:04 AM

definetly interested when the time comes. I was hoping that the tranny would only lose a gear as a signal that it needed to be replaced that way I could drive it to one of the Toms, rather than a tow which would cost alot.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:47 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
where in NY are you... I may even be able to come pick up the car when the time comes

Tom
Old 03-21-2007, 12:31 PM
SVX owner wannabe

What's the advantage of the 3.9 or 4.44 over the 3.5XX that came from the factory? Won't the computer get confused with the different gearing?

Your work looks promising. I'd almost like to negociate a rock bottom price with someone selling an SVX with a bad tranny so that I could install this one and not have to worry about being stranded.

Last edited by fasdude; 03-21-2007 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:45 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
well as long as it is summer, I can loan you my green '92 to drive around while your's is getting the trans installed (shouldn't take more than a day if Mike is shipping a whole transmission to me) Unless you really want another SVX

tom
Old 03-21-2007, 01:51 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasdude
What's the advantage of the 3.9 or 4.44 over the 3.5XX that came from the factory? Won't the computer get confused with the different gearing?

Your work looks promising. I'd almost like to negociate a rock bottom price with someone selling an SVX with a bad tranny so that I could install this one and not have to worry about being stranded.

better acceleration...no, the TCU won't get confused.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 03-21-2007, 02:50 PM
Just some dude.

I got the 3.9 transmssion to match up with an r180 rear end out of an 02-05 sti. The SVX uses an r160 rear end which seems plenty stout enough for a stock SVX but I got this for a supercharged car. In 06 the sti went to the 3.545 gear ratio the SVX uses so now I will be using an 07 sti rear end in my car and going back to 3.545 gears.

I prefer the 3.545 gear ratio. There are those who prefer higher gear ratios though. The higher the gear ratio the faster you will go through your gears, the more your transmission will be shifting, and the higher the rpm your cruise speed will be at.

I hope that answers your question to your satisfaction. and now I would like to ask that all the prosayers and naysayers not jump in and give their opinions on gear ratios. There are plenty of threads on this network filled with gear ratio oppinions. This thread is on our performance transmission build. We can perform the same build on a 3.545, 3.9, 4.11, 4.44, and even do some mix and match and make an awd 3.7 if someone wants to pay for it--so opinions/debate on gear ratios really have nothing to do with our build or this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasdude

Old 03-26-2007, 07:12 AM
New SVX Owner

what an idea

This is a great idea. Kudos LAN for going through all the hard work and labor to find out how to make our cars last for another many years. I'm fortunate that I don't have any tranny problems yet (previous owner took good care of my car) and from my research here, I don't think I'm going to have any problems in the future(crosses fingers) . If something were to happen though, how would I go about getting one of these modern marvels into my car out here in the middle of the country? Do you know anyone who can install one out here? Just in case.

I need a vacation, but I didn't want an unplanned drive to NY to be it.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:44 AM
Just some dude.

Thanks, I don't know who the trustworthy mechanics are out there but surely there are 1 or 2? Given a complete transmission from us a good shop should be able to put it in or if you are a do it yourselfer you could put it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtyem
This is a great idea. Kudos LAN for going through all the hard work and labor to find out how to make our cars last for another many years. I'm fortunate that I don't have any tranny problems yet (previous owner took good care of my car) and from my research here, I don't think I'm going to have any problems in the future(crosses fingers) . If something were to happen though, how would I go about getting one of these modern marvels into my car out here in the middle of the country? Do you know anyone who can install one out here? Just in case.

I need a vacation, but I didn't want an unplanned drive to NY to be it.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:29 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to UPnorth362
what would the cost of the trans be to come and pick it up at your shop, in miami, or tampa?
IT'S 5:00 SOMEWHERE!!!

92 Liquid Silver SVX LS-L

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: