Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-18-2005, 12:19 AM

alarm reset question

Hi All - been reading the old posts regarding alarms. Mines got a gremlin that causes horn to sound once, and parking lights flash - usually at 3:00 am (but otherwise works fine). Since my other car got broken into about 3 weeks ago -every time I hear the honk, I get up, go outside, walk around the car, etc. If I turn off the alarm, I'm paranoid the same a.. hole who broke into my truck will break into the svx.

Anyway - reading other posts i saw mention of unplugging the harness to the alarm to do a reset. Since mine is a 92, and alarm is in the glove box - can I simply remove the neg battery cable to reset the alarm (a lot quicker then taking out glove box)? Does power need to stay off for just a minute, or for a day or longer?

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:28 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Set up a video camera to record your car to see if someone is triggering it or possibly it's just the weather.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to sharky512345
my alarm went off while i was driving about a month ago
Old 05-24-2005, 11:09 AM

any ideas?

The alarm goes off without anyone or anything nearby. I've been looking out the window and seen it go off.

Does anyone know if disconnecting the battery will reset the alarm (so I don't have to take out the glove box on my 92)? How long would I need to disconnect battery? A minute? Hour? Day? Week?

T.I.A.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Disconnecting the battery will not do any good. The single beep you get at night and sometimes in the middle of the day is the shock sensor warning. This is happening because the 92 SVXs have a problem with the dash "popping" due to the fasteners being too tight and not allowing for gradual expansion and contraction. You may have heard the popping during cold mornings right as the heater starts to kick in. Even SVXs which have had the dash TSB performed, like mine, will still have this problem to some extent. The reason the alarm generally falses at the middle of the day or night is because that's when the ambient temperature is at the highest/lowest, and the most likely time for the dash to give a big pop.

Now on to what you can do about it. If you want to keep the factory alarm, about all you can do is turn down the shock sensor sensitivity. Since the glovebox is such a pain to get out, it would be best to turn it down liberally, or even all the way, the first time so you won't have to keep taking things apart. If it's already at the lowest setting, then you're going to have to install some rubber isolators to dampen the false alarms from the pops. Ideally, you would replace the alarm with an aftermarket model with either remoted mounted or remotely adjustable shock sensors. This would also be a good time to install a remote starter and trunk release while you're at it.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpcsvx
The alarm goes off without anyone or anything nearby. I've been looking out the window and seen it go off.

Does anyone know if disconnecting the battery will reset the alarm (so I don't have to take out the glove box on my 92)? How long would I need to disconnect battery? A minute? Hour? Day? Week?

Last edited by kuoh; 05-25-2005 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:01 AM
aka sir_romeo

Send a message via MSN to kuroneko_sama Send a message via Yahoo to kuroneko_sama
i seem to have an issue with my alarm turning on randomly, i cant seem to park the car without having the alarm setting itself even sitting in it not running for more than a minute or 2 causes spontanious "self setting" and the beeping changes periodically from 3 beeps to one beep to 2 beeps, etc)

im glad its all up for being secure at all times, but there are times that i dont want my alarm set. is there a way to just be able to have the alarm set only when its locked?
Car #26..'97 SVX Silver (120k and climbing)
previous SVXi:
Car #24..'94 SVX Ebony 216k (sold)
car #18..'97 SVX LSI "Ebby" Pearl 175k (sold)
car #19..'97 SVX LSI Brilliant Red 103k (sold)
car #14..'92 SVX Claret LS-L Touring (sold)
car #13..'94 SVX Laguna Blue LS (sold)
Old 05-28-2005, 09:34 PM

Thanks for the info

Thanks, Kuoh, for your info. I'll attack the glove box and turn down the sensitivity settings.

Sir Romeo - if your car is like mine, you have a "security" button on the left side of the dash (kinda behind steering wheel) next to fog light switch and cruise control switch. You push that once so light is NOT flashing when car is running. That will allow you to lock/unlock doors with key fob, but no alarm will go off. When you lock or unlock, you'll hear 4 beeps. Often, mine doesn't lock the first time I hit the fob button - I have to push the button a second time to lock it.

Does anybody know - if I take my car to the dealer for these TSB's - will they fix it free or do I hafta pay?

Thanks everyone.

hpcsvx