Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-24-2004, 02:19 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Oh...... We are talking about 275hp at the wheels??? Never mind... I meant at the crank

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 08-24-2004, 04:19 PM
tancred

LOL, sure change your story now marine...

Well, I would love to see any SVX that can do that all motor, it is just a lot of expensive modifications, but I am starting to like my SVX being a NA, it runs cooler, I cant say it doesnt break as much, but it SHOULDNT break as much as a turbo, or SC'd car...But, it does what it was designed to do...so thats really all that matters to me, it wasnt designed to be a S|Ck @S$ Dr@gster....no it was a "luxury car" so...hell, if a performance chip is the only NA power adder so be it...

Old 08-24-2004, 04:22 PM

230 plus 125 from zex go figure.14.8 on motor and 13.2 on slicks and gas.A nitemare on any street.
Old 08-24-2004, 06:09 PM
5 speeds rock! :D

Did you mean on all motor, or with nitrous? I've never dynoed it, but a HP calculator says I'm getting about 255.70 HP at the wheels, and about 332.41 HP at the flywheel based on my 1/4 mile times (with nitrous).

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 08-25-2004, 11:01 AM

These are the results of my vehicle on the dyno at Subaru of Gwinnett, done by Jason Porter. The car itself came to me more or less like this from my mechanic when he sold it to me. Forced cold air intake, stebro exhaust for starters, supercharged, ecu tuning, etc. I'm currently working on getting the funds to twin-turbo. I plan on leaving the supercharger in and having it shut down at 10 psi to eliminate turbo lag. I'll get back to the forum later with the entire list of mods once I speak with Chris (the man who sold me my car).

130k miles when I bought her May 28th

June 10th, 2004 -- Never forget. Well, at least I won't =( *Mourns for his rear-quarter panel*

September 20, 2005 -- The day she finally gave up the fight

April 25th, 2006 -- Bought another SVX!

'92 Teal on Black Subaru SVX LS-L with the touring package. 133k miles when bought on April 25th.

... 135908 as of May 7th =)
Old 08-25-2004, 11:20 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Xodi-SVX
I plan on leaving the supercharger in and having it shut down at 10 psi to eliminate turbo lag. I'll get back to the forum later with the entire list of mods once I speak with Chris (the man who sold me my car).
Tell me your mechanic put in forged pistons with dished heads to lower the compression?!! 10 psi on a 10:1 compression ratio would be insane and asking for trouble...

Also, you plan to add twin turbos and keep the S/C?!!!! Do you want this car to be a drag racer??? With all that weight up front, your handling will deteriorate quickly.

I would suggest choosing either the turbos or S/C but not both. You could use sequential turbos of different sizes and have the small turbo kick in low down and the big turbo kick in higher up in the rev range. The 90's Supra TT and RX-7 used sequential turbos and had little lag.

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 08-25-2004, 11:47 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Pictures, Please.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by svxfiles
Pictures, Please.
Very true! Post lots of pics!!!

-Chike

Old 08-25-2004, 12:32 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Quote:
Originally posted by Chiketkd

Tell me your mechanic put in forged pistons with dished heads to lower the compression?!! 10 psi on a 10:1 compression ratio would be insane and asking for trouble...

Also, you plan to add twin turbos and keep the S/C?!!!! Do you want this car to be a drag racer??? With all that weight up front, your handling will deteriorate quickly.

I would suggest choosing either the turbos or S/C but not both. You could use sequential turbos of different sizes and have the small turbo kick in low down and the big turbo kick in higher up in the rev range. The 90's Supra TT and RX-7 used sequential turbos and had little lag.

-Chike
i don't know much about this.. but i doubt that the combined weight of both supercharger, and twin turbos, with piping and all, would be more than 100 lbs.. now, 100 lbs isn't "light" but you could easily stiffen up the rear to remove the understeer incurred by this added weight, and the added bonus in terms of power would be huge if set up right. I'm guessing that since it was a mechanics car, they didn't cut too many corners when installing the supercharger and working on the transmission. however, pictures would be amazing..

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 08-25-2004, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by drivemusicnow
i don't know much about this.. but i doubt that the combined weight of both supercharger, and twin turbos, with piping and all, would be more than 100 lbs.. now, 100 lbs isn't "light" but you could easily stiffen up the rear to remove the understeer incurred by this added weight, and the added bonus in terms of power would be huge if set up right. I'm guessing that since it was a mechanics car, they didn't cut too many corners when installing the supercharger and working on the transmission. however, pictures would be amazing..
The twin turbo set up on the '90-'96 300ZX TT (my former college car) weighed in excess of 200lbs - including the downpipe, turbos, piping, intercoolers, etc. A roots style supercharger can add over 80lbs in weight and well over 130lbs if an intercooler and the necessary piping and coolant is used.

Therefore, with a S/C & twin turbo set up, weight can increase by well over 300lbs, all at the front of the car with most of it before the front axle. The SVX already has a poor 60/40 weight distn front to rear, and adding 10% of the car's weight to the front is going to cause handling to be greatly compromised. Suspension tuning can remove alot of the understeer, but it'll be hard to make a 4000lb SVX handle like a 3600lb NA version.

The power would be phenomenal though and if tuned right, his SVX could be extremely quick!

-Chike

Old 08-25-2004, 04:36 PM
5 speeds rock! :D

I thought that Jason Porter's position was that twin turbo on a US SVX was not an option due to space limitations??

A right hand drive car might be different.

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 08-25-2004, 07:31 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Xodi-SVX
These are the results of my vehicle on the dyno at Subaru of Gwinnett, done by Jason Porter. The car itself came to me more or less like this from my mechanic when he sold it to me. Forced cold air intake, stebro exhaust for starters, supercharged, ecu tuning, etc. I'm currently working on getting the funds to twin-turbo. I plan on leaving the supercharger in and having it shut down at 10 psi to eliminate turbo lag. I'll get back to the forum later with the entire list of mods once I speak with Chris (the man who sold me my car).
So, knowing of Jason's work to date, he'll have plots of the dyno runs that you'll be able to post here....right? This will be great, as we should be able to start a "dyno plot folder" on the site (I'll donate my "100% stock" plots!)
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 08-25-2004, 07:34 PM
Superbeast

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXRide

So, knowing of Jason's work to date, he'll have plots of the dyno runs that you'll be able to post here....right? This will be great, as we should be able to start a "dyno plot folder" on the site (I'll donate my "100% stock" plots!)
-Bill

100% stock with a wink, wink and a nudge, nudge. Just like that "stock" suspension.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 08-25-2004, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Subafreak
100% stock with a wink, wink and a nudge, nudge. Just like that "stock" suspension.
Well Bill still has a paper filter in his airbox. The only thing I know of that'll add some low end torque to his car (over stock) is the high-flow secondary cat he's got. Other than that, his car is 100% stock...

-Chike

Old 08-26-2004, 08:13 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Subafreak

Hey! Stop picking on me, Jesse!
-Bill (posterboy for 100% stock SVXes around the world)

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker