How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-17-2001, 08:35 AM
Henry

Injector cleaning services?

They apparently hook up to the fuel rail and pump solvent through the injectors. Cost is $60-75.

Anyone try this? Effective?
Old 11-17-2001, 04:34 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Injector cleaning services?

Quote:
Originally posted by Henry
They apparently hook up to the fuel rail and pump solvent through the injectors. Cost is $60-75.

Anyone try this? Effective?
I haven't had this service performed on my SVX, but, I did on my Peugeot. There was an amazing increase in both performance and gas mileage.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 11-18-2001, 12:38 AM
The Road Less Traveled

I've had it done on the SVX.

Engine was definitely smoother, and slightly better gas mileage (within 5 percent). I'd figure, 150k miles, it probably needed it anyways.

I'm always skeptical of the bottle stuff, because it becomes so diluted with the gasoline.

My 2 cents. YMMV.

VK
Old 11-18-2001, 05:51 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Is that a service that a subaru dealer has to do?
Old 11-18-2001, 11:35 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Just about any shop can do it.

I think my dealer charged 0.1 hour labour, 0.2 tops, and whatever retail price is for the chemical. They hook it up to the fuel line somewhere and burn it like fuel for the car.

I paid $80CDN for the service last year.

VK
Old 11-19-2001, 08:13 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
This morning I saw an injector-cleaning service on, of all shows, NASCAR Tech. Ugh. For me, watching a NASCAR show is kinda like a horror movie. It's disgusting, but I still can't stop watching.

The service was a three-part kit made by 3M. I missed the first part. The second is a throttle-body cleaner - no big deal, you can do that with a 50-cent can of carb cleaner. The third part was cool. It was a pressurized can you hang from your hood. From there is a valve and a hose, which you connect ot your fuel rail. You open the valve and then start the car. The fluid, supposedly, cleans the injectors while the car runs off it.

How safe this stuff is to have burning in your combustion chamber, I don't know. I have, however, generally found 3M's products to be safe and high-quality. But I still want someone else to try it first.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 11-19-2001, 08:50 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I've used several types, on my cars and on my customers cars (heheheh...guinea pigs.....j/k.) Anyway, I've not seen anythingg detrimental occur from any of them, but to be safe I'd stick to the brand name stuff.

From a maintenance perspective I wouldn't bother doing it, maybe at 50,00 or 100,000 mile intervals. For that type of service I'd use the 3-M type stuff. If you're having problems I'd search out a shop that has the Snap-On Motorvac system. It actually hooks up to the fuel system (not the same as the stuff in a can, a bit more involved. some hook-ups take 30-45 minutes) and flushes it out, forward and backward I beieve. Chase down a Snap-On truck or stop by a shop and ask for their Snap-On dealers phone number. Ask the dealer for a shop that has one (and not a bad idea to ask him if where he would take his car to - as a tool dealer you see a lot of scary stuff .)

If your having really bad problems (constantly plugging filters and/or injectors, burning up fuel pumps, etc.) the only real cure is to remove the fuel tank and flush it and the lines, injectors, etc.

Beav
Old 11-19-2001, 09:47 AM
Lowered SVX

i took mine to the suby dealer.

had them flush the fuel system for me. it was about $80 i think. it really did make the car run a little better.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"