SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2001, 09:25 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Angry Someone broke into my SVX

We awoke to the sound of a car horn honking over and over last night around midnight. We live on the second story of an apartment complex and usually I park pretty close to under our bedroom window. Not sure how long the alarm was going, but by the time I roused myself out of bed and made my way to the window it had stopped and all the cars below seemed fine. No one was around either. At that point I was still not sure it was my car alarm and since none of the cars were flashing lights I assumed it was someone else's and they had shut it off. Thought I saw the interior lights on in my car, but could've been the street light and I didn't feel like getting dressed and going all the way down there. Well about six hours later I went down to drive to work and from the back I could see the interior lights still on and the green glow around the ignition. Discovered the driver's side door was only half shut, that's why the lights were still on. I was able to open the door without hitting the remote and then popped the trunk to see if anything was gone, lifted it and the alarm went off again! So everything was locked and armed, I didn't leave the door ajar like that. Besides, I hadn't drove it for a day and half so the lights/battery would have been dead by then. So it was confirmed someone had broken in last night. Nothing missing, no damage, even the battery was fine with it's six hour workout. The alarm did its job! Just wish I had been quicker out of bed to see the guy! Ah the joys of living in an apartment complex.

So this brings up a good topic, any one have any experiences with this on their SVX? I'm wondering how they got it open so easy, not even a scratch on the door or window. And the power locks work fine, I had always been told that a slim jim can ruin power door locks, the security at the mall I used to work at would refuse to help people with power door locks who locked their keys in. Anyway, glad they didn't get anything or cause any damage. Just a topic for thought today.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 10-22-2001, 09:29 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Someone broke into my SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by MacGyver
We awoke to the sound of a car horn honking over and over last night around midnight. We live on the second story of an apartment complex and usually I park pretty close to under our bedroom window. Not sure how long the alarm was going, but by the time I roused myself out of bed and made my way to the window it had stopped and all the cars below seemed fine. No one was around either. At that point I was still not sure it was my car alarm and since none of the cars were flashing lights I assumed it was someone else's and they had shut it off. Thought I saw the interior lights on in my car, but could've been the street light and I didn't feel like getting dressed and going all the way down there. Well about six hours later I went down to drive to work and from the back I could see the interior lights still on and the green glow around the ignition. Discovered the driver's side door was only half shut, that's why the lights were still on. I was able to open the door without hitting the remote and then popped the trunk to see if anything was gone, lifted it and the alarm went off again! So everything was locked and armed, I didn't leave the door ajar like that. Besides, I hadn't drove it for a day and half so the lights/battery would have been dead by then. So it was confirmed someone had broken in last night. Nothing missing, no damage, even the battery was fine with it's six hour workout. The alarm did its job! Just wish I had been quicker out of bed to see the guy! Ah the joys of living in an apartment complex.

So this brings up a good topic, any one have any experiences with this on their SVX? I'm wondering how they got it open so easy, not even a scratch on the door or window. And the power locks work fine, I had always been told that a slim jim can ruin power door locks, the security at the mall I used to work at would refuse to help people with power door locks who locked their keys in. Anyway, glad they didn't get anything or cause any damage. Just a topic for thought today.
A slim-jim *can* break power locks, but it's not assured that using one *will* break something. My guess is that this is how the person gained entry to your car, and ran as soon as the alarm went off.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 10-22-2001, 09:58 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
Glad to hear your SVX escaped damage. Not everyone reporting recent break-ins has been so lucky.
Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.
Old 10-22-2001, 03:58 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Someone broke into my SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

A slim-jim *can* break power locks, but it's not assured that using one *will* break something. My guess is that this is how the person gained entry to your car, and ran as soon as the alarm went off.

Nick, I agree. If you've ever had the door panel off and seen the lock mechanism, it is quite flimsy. It's an easy pry for a slim jim, unfortunately. But, on the fortunate side, the alarm did do its job. A considerate thief is a very nice thing to have -- in other words, they didn't break your fixed glass, like some I've heard about.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 10-22-2001, 06:07 PM
Zombie

having done this for dealerships when I was turning wrenches, I can say that if it is done properly slim jimming will not break a power lock. If you are thrashing around in ther looking for the mechanism it will, and unfortunaly, thats what most people do with a slim jim....
Old 10-22-2001, 10:00 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:
Originally posted by Zombie
having done this for dealerships when I was turning wrenches, I can say that if it is done properly slim jimming will not break a power lock. If you are thrashing around in ther looking for the mechanism it will, and unfortunaly, thats what most people do with a slim jim....

Luckily enough, I have photos of the SVX's door open up so if I ever needed to slim jim the SVX, I know where to go for it. On the other hand, that's what the second key is for guys.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 10-23-2001, 12:09 PM
Lowered SVX

wow that was a close one.

i live in an apt. too and i always worry about someone doing something stupid. it is not rare for me to look out my window and see someone oogling my car. just makes you nervous.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 10-23-2001, 12:12 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: wow that was a close one.

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
i live in an apt. too and i always worry about someone doing something stupid. it is not rare for me to look out my window and see someone oogling my car. just makes you nervous.
So, why would someone ogling your car make MacGyver nervous?
Subaru Ambassador

Old 10-23-2001, 12:48 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

Re: Someone broke into my SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by MacGyver
Besides, I hadn't drove it for a day and half so the lights/battery would have been dead by then. So it was confirmed someone had broken in last night. Nothing missing, no damage, even the battery was fine with it's six hour workout.
I think I read in the owners manual, where the battery will disconnect (or something) before it runs down. Some kind of failsafe. Wife has the car, or I'd look.

Steve
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 10-23-2001, 03:13 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Re: wow that was a close one.

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
Well, Randy "Mr. PUNctuation" Johnson's comments aside, I know what you mean Leo. While it is with great pride that we see people checking out our cars, at the same time you.... excuse me A PERSON has to wonder if the oogler is tempted to foul intentions...

Oh well, I'm sure none of us would give up the stares and oogles this car gets!

Old 10-24-2001, 12:27 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via AIM to nvrmore100 Send a message via Yahoo to nvrmore100
Re: Re: Re: Someone broke into my SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
A considerate thief is a very nice thing to have -- in other words, they didn't break your fixed glass, like some I've heard about.
I used to work at a car auction...you would be amazed at the ways people's vehicles would be creatively opened. The most common I've seen is the obvious slimjim, or break a side window. Other's included cutting battery terminals so alarms no longer function, and my favorite, the rear window pry. For those that have never seen this, someone will take a large screwdriver/crowbar and pry the edge of the rear window until it shatters. Unfortunately because almost all rear windows are coated the glass sticks to the coating and can be simply lifted off the car in one piece.

Bast@rds!

Ryan

http://www.ryanmacdonald.com
http://www.digitalvertigo.net
http://www.open-innovations.com
Old 10-24-2001, 01:10 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: Someone broke into my SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by nvrmore100

I used to work at a car auction...you would be amazed at the ways people's vehicles would be creatively opened. The most common I've seen is the obvious slimjim, or break a side window. Other's included cutting battery terminals so alarms no longer function, and my favorite, the rear window pry. For those that have never seen this, someone will take a large screwdriver/crowbar and pry the edge of the rear window until it shatters. Unfortunately because almost all rear windows are coated the glass sticks to the coating and can be simply lifted off the car in one piece.

Bast@rds!

Ryan
I was very impressed with the gentlemanly manner in which the SOB got into my former Suzuki Sidekick to steal the recently installed Kenwood Mask unit: He unzipped the rear window (it was a convertible), stepped up on the rear bumper and unlocked the passenger's side door. Then, RIPPED the radio out. I found blood on the broken surround, so, I at least had the satisfaction of knowing he'd cut himself. It also pissed me off that the radio would be useless to him, since he did not know the security code. Oh well.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 10-24-2001, 02:21 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Someone broke into my SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

It also pissed me off that the radio would be useless to him, since he did not know the security code. Oh well.
I had a similar experience, perhaps that guy migrated your way from the west coast! This was back in the days before coded mask units, I had a removable face plate Pioneer. Still the guy tried to pull it out, despite the fact that a face plate would cost him more than he could make selling a hot stereo. In this case he didn't succeed, all he managed to do was break a piece of plastic where the faceplate connected. Which was enough to render the unit inoperable. Of course he had already shattered a side window and broken several pieces of dash moulding to get at the stereo, so I was already into my $100 insurance deductible, might as well have them pay for a new stereo too. All told, I think the insurance ended up having to pay out over $1000 to cover everything, and the idiot got absolutely nothing for all his destruction.

All this happened on a Saturday night, around 9pm in the middle of a well lit 24 HOUR supermarket parking lot. I had left the car there, thinking it was safer than leaving it in my empty work parking lot, to carpool with a friend to a movie. By the way, this wasn't my SVX, this was back in 1993 when SVXes were for the upper class of society. It was my 89 Trans Am.

Disclaimer, in light of today's earlier discussions My particular Trans Am, perhaps not representative of Trans Ams, or GM cars, or even American cars, as a whole, was very fast, fun to drive, stylish (the only thing on this list left to personal opinion), and with no major repairs at 130,000 miles, I dare say... very reliable.

Old 10-24-2001, 02:30 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: Someone broke into my SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by nvrmore100

Bast@rds!

Ryan
I used to have a Toyota pickup and the side window just behind the passenger door was removed from it with a crowbar once. The stereo (an inexpensive Kenwood CD player) was removed in much the same way, but with far more damage.

The worst part (even worse than having no music for three hours) was that I found the truck like this in the parking lot of the Amtrak station in Albany - three hours from home on a February night. It was about 15degF that night. I drove the whole way home yelling obscenities as I shivered.

I never got the stereo replaced - I just had the gaping hole until I bought the SVX that October.

I had had that truck since my junior year in high school, and it was the first vehicle I had the title to. It was my friend. I've never felt so violated as when I saw that window (intact - the only good news) laying there and realized that someone else - a stranger - had been where only I was allowed.

Of course, that was the second time the truck had been broken into. The first time was to steal my CB, antenna, the change in the tray and my Reese's Pieces. Bastards. They left the Fritos, though.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 10-24-2001, 10:23 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Cool Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Someone broke into my SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

I used to have a Toyota pickup and the side window just behind the passenger door was removed from it with a crowbar once. The stereo (an inexpensive Kenwood CD player) was removed in much the same way, but with far more damage.

The worst part (even worse than having no music for three hours) was that I found the truck like this in the parking lot of the Amtrak station in Albany - three hours from home on a February night. It was about 15degF that night. I drove the whole way home yelling obscenities as I shivered.

I never got the stereo replaced - I just had the gaping hole until I bought the SVX that October.

I had had that truck since my junior year in high school, and it was the first vehicle I had the title to. It was my friend. I've never felt so violated as when I saw that window (intact - the only good news) laying there and realized that someone else - a stranger - had been where only I was allowed.

Of course, that was the second time the truck had been broken into. The first time was to steal my CB, antenna, the change in the tray and my Reese's Pieces. Bastards. They left the Fritos, though.
It's funny - In my 40 plus years of car ownership, I've never had a car broken into, or anything stolen. I generally had cars that were not on anyone's most desirable list, & usually left them unlocked, even in sleazy neighborhoods. I figured if they wanted any of my mid-range or less stereo stuff, they were welcomed to it. At least the car wouldn't be trashed getting to the semi-goody, & if car theft were the goal, the windows would be smashed/jimmied anyways. The SVX is the first car I've owned with an alarm, & I've never used it. It's not a desirable parts car, at least to the professional thief (oxymoron?), & if any doofus wants the stock stereo, OK, it's my chance to do an upgrade. There's no deterrant to vandalism & I do now lock the car occasionally, but I'm not a fanatic about it.
Oh, I did have a '57 Buick stick shift stolen in front of my girlfriend's house in Wash, DC, back in the early 60's. All the windows were open & the ignition switch didn't lock. If any car said "Take me!", this was it. I recovered the car at a police station the same night. Nothing broken or stolen. A simple joy ride.
Go figger'. Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.