Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-20-2001, 08:03 PM
sk8ing19

Angry My Baby Got hit!

Hello all

I have just got done doing the water pump and timming belt last week, then to have her hit this week. It's really not that bad my friends say but it's my baby. See heres what happened, I am sitting at work doing nothing, when one of the guys from Sams comes into my store and informs me, my baby was hit by a cart. thats right violated by a shopping cart. I really didnt think a cart could do this much damage but it hit right above the bumper on the drivers side rear (I will post some picts). The dent is about 5 inches long and .5 deep with groves from the cart and the pain is now cracked in a circle around the dent( I would say around $600 in damage due to having to repaint the rear quarter and the body work that will be needed). Now really pissed off I take a little look around the lot to see if there are any cart people outside. There was one standing not more the 15 feet away somking a cig and just staring at the car.

Well I filled out a claim with Sams, even thought the managers where all saying I wont get paid, due to the fact that there is a sign saying that they are not responsible for any damage done to cars due to carts. Well there is also a thing called acting in good faith, and not having more then one cart person (that is not on one of his twenty somoking breaks) on the lot on a busy friday, does not show me an act of good faith. I guess I will wait to see if they are going to pay, and if not be forced to take further action.

Does anyone have any ideas on how much damage like that may cost?

Just needed to rant.

Later
Chris
Old 10-20-2001, 10:27 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Re: My Baby Got hit!

It's hard to say what it'll cost, it depends on quality of paint and what labour rates go for.

On the lower end of the scale, it could be done for as little as $300, assuming $30 labour rate for the body shop (which is by the way what I paid for a similar boo boo on my car just a few months back). Those are the prices (converted to USD) that I paid.

Damage on my car was a 12 inch long scratch that got pressed in about 1/2 inch to 1 inch in the left rear quarter panel above the bumper. My GF backed out of an angular parking spot and "caught" the bumper of the cube van in the next spot.

Your mileage may vary...

VK

Quote:
Originally posted by sk8ing19
Hello all

I have just got done doing the water pump and timming belt last week, then to have her hit this week. It's really not that bad my friends say but it's my baby. See heres what happened, I am sitting at work doing nothing, when one of the guys from Sams comes into my store and informs me, my baby was hit by a cart. thats right violated by a shopping cart. I really didnt think a cart could do this much damage but it hit right above the bumper on the drivers side rear (I will post some picts). The dent is about 5 inches long and .5 deep with groves from the cart and the pain is now cracked in a circle around the dent( I would say around $600 in damage due to having to repaint the rear quarter and the body work that will be needed). Now really pissed off I take a little look around the lot to see if there are any cart people outside. There was one standing not more the 15 feet away somking a cig and just staring at the car.

Well I filled out a claim with Sams, even thought the managers where all saying I wont get paid, due to the fact that there is a sign saying that they are not responsible for any damage done to cars due to carts. Well there is also a thing called acting in good faith, and not having more then one cart person (that is not on one of his twenty somoking breaks) on the lot on a busy friday, does not show me an act of good faith. I guess I will wait to see if they are going to pay, and if not be forced to take further action.

Does anyone have any ideas on how much damage like that may cost?

Just needed to rant.

Later
Chris
Old 10-21-2001, 10:43 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Really sorry to hear about the cart damage. Thanks for the warning.
Old 10-22-2001, 12:09 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via AIM to nvrmore100 Send a message via Yahoo to nvrmore100
Damn!

That truly sucks man.

Ryan

http://www.ryanmacdonald.com
http://www.digitalvertigo.net
http://www.open-innovations.com
Old 10-22-2001, 02:58 PM
Member Incognito

Registered SVX
Re: My Baby Got hit!

Quote:
Originally posted by sk8ing19
Hello all

I have just got done doing the water pump and timming belt last week, then to have her hit this week. It's really not that bad my friends say but it's my baby. See heres what happened, I am sitting at work doing nothing, when one of the guys from Sams comes into my store and informs me, my baby was hit by a cart. thats right violated by a shopping cart. I really didnt think a cart could do this much damage but it hit right above the bumper on the drivers side rear (I will post some picts). The dent is about 5 inches long and .5 deep with groves from the cart and the pain is now cracked in a circle around the dent( I would say around $600 in damage due to having to repaint the rear quarter and the body work that will be needed). Now really pissed off I take a little look around the lot to see if there are any cart people outside. There was one standing not more the 15 feet away somking a cig and just staring at the car. . . . Just needed to rant.

Later
Chris
This must be the weekend for SVX's getting damaged. I was run off the road yesterday by someone evexuting lightning-fast lane changes in an Expidition. I tried to slam on the brakes and make a 90 degree turn down a sidestreet but was going too fast and ended up on a median strip on top of a sign. I have to take my car to get it looked at on Friday to get an estimate from the insurance company. No leaks and the airbag didin't go off, but one of the tow hooks has been pushed up and the exhaust looks to be damaged somewhat. Ungood

"Flossie" - 92 black over pearl LS-L (sold)
"Gorgeous George" - 98 Audi A8 (traded)
"Gorgeous Genny" - 02 Audi S8 (sold)
"Green Giant" - 00 Land Rover Disco II
"Grey Wülf" - 05 Volvo S60 R
"Silver Surfer" - 92 black over liquid silver LS-L
"9 of 7" - 97 bordeaux pearl, formerly with Earl Steele
Old 10-22-2001, 03:04 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Re: My Baby Got hit!

Quote:
Originally posted by SvXit

This must be the weekend for SVX's getting damaged. I was run off the road yesterday by someone evexuting lightning-fast lane changes in an Expidition. I tried to slam on the brakes and make a 90 degree turn down a sidestreet but was going too fast and ended up on a median strip on top of a sign. I have to take my car to get it looked at on Friday to get an estimate from the insurance company. No leaks and the airbag didin't go off, but one of the tow hooks has been pushed up and the exhaust looks to be damaged somewhat. Ungood
Friggin' SUV drivers. I suppose they kept on going?

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 10-23-2001, 10:07 AM
Member Incognito

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: My Baby Got hit!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

Friggin' SUV drivers. I suppose they kept on going?
Of course; the piece of pud! And since I was unable to get his tag this will probably go on my record as being my fault, so there goes a perfectly clean driving record. Did I mention that the other driver was a piece of pud?

Old 10-23-2001, 10:13 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: My Baby Got hit!

Quote:

Of course; the piece of pud! And since I was unable to get his tag this will probably go on my record as being my fault, so there goes a perfectly clean driving record. Did I mention that the other driver was a piece of pud?
People suck. Stay away from them.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 10-23-2001, 10:37 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My Baby Got hit!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

People suck. Stay away from them.
Hey, I have no trouble with people. It's mankind I don't trust.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 10-24-2001, 11:44 AM
Member Incognito

Registered SVX
Re: Re: And More Re!: My Baby Got hit!

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Hey, I have no trouble with people. It's mankind I don't trust.
Me, good. Mankind, ungood. O.K., I think I've got it! One thing I guess I'll find out about on Friday is what will happen paint-wise. I know my front bumper will need to be replaced (if one can be found) and I guess the insurance folks will ask about the damage to the back of my car. The one good thing that could come from this is a repaint of the pearl white portions of the car if it proves too difficult to match the paint.

Old 10-24-2001, 01:15 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: And More Re!: My Baby Got hit!

Quote:

Me, good. Mankind, ungood. O.K., I think I've got it! One thing I guess I'll find out about on Friday is what will happen paint-wise. I know my front bumper will need to be replaced (if one can be found) and I guess the insurance folks will ask about the damage to the back of my car. The one good thing that could come from this is a repaint of the pearl white portions of the car if it proves too difficult to match the paint.
Best of luck, Olu. I was hoping for the same, when my fender got crunched. Unfortunately, these guys were able to match the color to a tee (and, if you remember, it isn't even the original Pearl). I did, at least, get the piece of cladding from the LF fender well and under the door replaced, which was one of my worst cosmetic flaws (cladding had been scraped and black was showing through).
Subaru Ambassador

Old 10-24-2001, 08:15 PM
Zombie

wow... I guess I'm stupid. I diddnt even know that was cladding... I thought it was just car. I learn something everyday.
Old 10-24-2001, 08:24 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Zombie
wow... I guess I'm stupid. I diddnt even know that was cladding... I thought it was just car. I learn something everyday.
HAHA! You're not stupid. The lower part of the door and the lower part of the body from behind the front wheelwell to the rear bumper are an ABS plastic cladding. Seems to be a Giugaro thing. He also did it on the Lexus ES 300.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 10-24-2001, 09:18 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

For what its worth

the cladding on our cars is made of TPO (thermoplastic olefin) not ABS (acrylonitrile butadiene styrene). ABS is not tough enough for the impact resistance needed for this part.

Changing voice and clearing throat....
Sorry for the above display of utterly useless polymeric nomenclature, I'm a plastics geek by training and career
Old 10-25-2001, 09:07 AM
Zombie

I got a destint image in my head of the geeky dude in the Simpsons.... the one who always wears the labcoat.....