Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-26-2003, 06:58 PM

Blew my Engine

An awfull thing happened to me on the way to the dealership to have the noise diagnosed. In My last thread I asked what the noise was and said that I took the svx to an Auto-Electrical shop who told me to take it to the dealer.

I was on the perimeter about 15 min. from home at the speed limit ie. 100km/hr or 60m/hr. when the SVX lost power and I pulled over and shut it down immediatly as steam blew out of the hood. I had changed the coolant and hoses in the summer and had the cam belt and all others done 2 yrs. ago. so this was not good. It gets worse and worse.

I was not far from the dealer and was lucky to get a ride. They had the 1992 SVX taken to the dealer. My fist call was to replace the rad. and then $1368. parts + labour= $2142. I paid.

The next call really did a number on me, a new "short Block" he said at a cost of $3655. not including labour, + some other parts of lesser value. What to do ? Well I had to buy another car and had them deliver my Svx to my home. Any help from members is welcome. I have already spent thousands on my SVX what to do?
Old 10-27-2003, 12:50 AM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
if it were me id just get a new engine. or a used j spec one.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:23 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Where does one go to get a used J (Japan?) spec engine? And do they fit the USA SVX?
Old 10-27-2003, 05:38 AM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
it is my understanding that one can find and buy j-specs from japan through the net for a reasonable price from used junked vehicles. shipping is another matter for those of you in the lower 48. i am also under the impression there are few if any differences in the engines from j to a-spec so long as the year coincides.
i only know someone that has done this. i have no further helpful information.

Old 10-27-2003, 04:50 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

I don't get it, why do people think that the Jap. SVX engines will do any better??? I lived in Australia for 12 years and we have all the Jap cars down there... The main diffrence in the engines is the fuel... The only two unleaded fuels in Adelaide S.A. where I lived where RON98 and RON100... that's 98 and 100 octaine... the engines are tuned to take that fuel... if you bring over a Jap engine that is tuned for that fuel than you are doing nothing at all to increase your performance on our ****ty 91 and 93 octane fuel that we have over here... This same thing happened to my friend who has a Honda civic... He ordered a B16b(from a Type R civic I think) from Japan, when it got here it ran like **** because it wasn't times right for the fuel... Tell ya what, I'll give ya the website that is the largest auto dismantler in the southern hemisphere... http://www.adelaidejap.com.au/ Just go there and tell them what you want if you are set in believing that Jap spec engines are better than the American spec ones... They will ship internationally if you pay it... Believe me, ANY engine that you want they can get for you... Good luck

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 10-27-2003, 05:52 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

www.car-part.com

Happy hunting!

Todd
Old 10-27-2003, 08:12 PM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
the point is that used svx and xt6 engines are A LOT easier to find in japan then they are here, and usually are cheaper than repairing or getting a brand new one.
also we do have octane booster (keep it on the D.L.) so our fuel is no big deal.

Old 10-27-2003, 10:19 PM

why get a engine from japan that was designed to run on higher octane for no real perfromace gain, octan boost cost money probley $2 every fill up at the minimum. You could get the enigne with out the ecu and use the US ecu so the timing will be set for our gas. The engines shouldent be diffrent other than the mapping set for it, wich is in the ecu.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:37 PM
*Special* Member

Send a message via AIM to Bwana
Quote:
Originally posted by GreenMarineSVX
This same thing happened to my friend who has a Honda civic... He ordered a B16b(from a Type R civic I think) from Japan, when it got here it ran like **** because it wasn't times right for the fuel...
Me thinks if you have enough mechanical ability to do an engine swap, re-tuning to accept different octane should be quite simple.
1996 Brilliant Red L (AWD). Bought: 6-14-04 - Sold: 3-3-07 - 15.370 @ 89.65
1992 Claret/black LS #4086 (GF's). Bought: 6-30-04 - Sold: 7-29-07
1994 Pearl White LSi Bought: 2001? Sold: 2004?
Old 10-27-2003, 11:12 PM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
its either 1 or 2 grand now or over the course of a few years at the pump. im just throwing the option out there as a possibility.
but doesnt everyone want a lower mileage engine? thats the real point of focus i wanted to bring up. everything else is relative.

Old 10-29-2003, 05:28 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I wonder what's left of the black 92 SVX that was stolen from the dealership and written off. All I know was that it was shipped to Ontario. The engine and tranny were still strong having been replaced/rebuilt.

Perhaps you could talk to Frontier Subaru and see if you can wring any info about that SVX out of them.

My dad may be able to help you with the engine. He's going to get a lot more SVX experience when he helps me with my 5spd conversion. He should be able to do the work for for much cheaper than the dealerships in Winnipeg will charge you.
Old 10-29-2003, 05:45 PM
Strictly Subaru

Smile I do have one

I just bought a 1995 SVX AWD. I will have an engine for sale once I take possesion of it. I'm located in Vancouver, so shipping to you would be reasonable via canadian freightway. Let me know if you are interested. You can see it runnning if you'd like, and then I will pull it out. Let me know if you are interested. Thanks.
Old 10-30-2003, 07:31 AM

Interested in the Engine

Hello S.S,
I am interested in the 1995 SVX engine but if you read my post,
Blew Engine,part2, I'm not sure if mine is finished.
I would like to know how much time I have to make a decision, the price of the engine and if it would be as is I mean as pulled out or stripped down. Also how many Km.on the SVX.

Yes I would like to here it (SVX) running or Rod might drop by,he lives off Cambie, around Oak,as I recall. For nowI would if you could send me info.
Thanks, Bye for now.........Ralph