Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum

Old 08-17-2003, 01:10 AM
TonyShaleUK

Midlands meet - SVX Crusade pics

First pics from the first day of the meet...

Make your own sequence of it - if you can make out the pics!

5 cars made day 1 in very sunny weather:

Me (black over 2-tone silver Jap import)
Phil and Belha (Black over Claret Jap import - with rear wheel steer!)
Angie and Phil (Black over black UK spec - but when the sun is in the right direction, it's a subtle red metallic!)
Andy (Silver UK)
Arthur (Green UK)

Age span from 91 to 96 (registered 97).

We parked up in Kenilworth Castle ruins - rather like Robin Hood meets Darth Vader! There we did some strenuous talking and swapping of info, websites and spec comparison. A bottle of wine was on offer for the 'Anorak of the day' who spotted the most differences between Jap and UK specs.

Off to Stratford on Avon for an evening dinner, with the Spot the Difference winners Phil and Belha being awarded the bottle of wine with 25 differences! Three of Andy's responses "Funny writing in the handbook", "Uk spec drivers are better looking" and "UK cars can get spares from main dealers" were discounted from the count. He wouldn't have won with them included!!

And finally, a 'knightcap' at the 'Dirty Duck' pub, a famous venue for theatre goers and 'luvvies' from the Shakespeare theatre opposite.

We are hoping for another 2 cars to join us at the National Motor Museum later this morning. There is also a BMW gathering there, so we hope to show them what a decent car looks like!!!

Tony
Old 08-17-2003, 02:41 PM

Great weekend, lets get together again.
Well done Tony for a seamless set of venues, like clockwork.
Had a good run back, with a few of the "other club" trying it on.

If it works I should have attached one picture from Kenilworth Castle, I think I have shrunk it just enough to blurr the number plates.

Regards

Arthur
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kenilworth-svx.jpg (86.1 KB, 169 views)
Old 08-17-2003, 03:30 PM
Green1995SVX

It sounds like you folks had a beautiful time! I wish I could have come.

Mike
Old 08-17-2003, 04:14 PM
TonyShaleUK

Day 2 of the meet

More pics in my locker. Sorry, but you'll have to work out the sequncing - damned if I know how to add pics in a specific order!

Day 2 saw fine weather and 5 cars again - 4 from yesterday and an additional silver UK 93 car - driven by Ian. And the photographer from International Motors, the UK Subaru importer.

Numerous photos later and he departed. Just before Andy arrived, late. He had been entertaining himself with a BMW M series 3. Shan't say much other than he reckons it was a draw overall, although our finest did leave the Beemer once a certain speed was reached......

At the museum, a huge BMW and Lanchester (a good old Coventry manufacturer many years cesased trading) was on at the same time as our humble gathering. But we got plenty of visitors - including a group of Japanese who work for the company that made the SVX gearbox. Communication was difficult due to language barriers, but Ian tried his hardest to get 6 new gearboxes in apology for the bad job they made of the original! Beemer 3 series convertibles were many and cruising past - almost without fail stopping to drool (well, that's what we reckon anyway!) over our beasts. Very few of the other Beemer drivers were interested in more worthy vehicles tho.....

So we wandered off around the museum, returning to find our numbers had swelled by one black 92 Jap import driven by Matt. Like the magnificent 7 all over again. A strenuous picnic saw our adventurers hit the hi-ways and byways to wend their weary way home.

Hopefully, there will be more pics from the other guys 'n gals over the next few days.

I hope that you all got back safe and sound, especially Phil and Belha with there musical brakes.....

'Til next time.....

Tony
Old 08-17-2003, 04:40 PM
Phil & Belha

Thumbs up A Great Weekend

Hi Tony,

Thanks again for all your hard work. You did a fantastic job, which can't have been easy whilst working away from home. We had a really enjoyable weekend, and we're looking forward to removing our anoraks and cracking open that bottle of wine.

Will be uploading some photos in the next few days.

P & B.
Old 08-18-2003, 02:21 PM
Ianorris

Midlands meet

Tony and all the visitors to the scenic Midlands:

It was great to meet up with you all - I just wish we hadn't been in the midst of house work and could have spent more time with a great bunch of people.
Congratulations to Tony on superb organisation. I hope all those who hadn't seen the BMIHT museum before enjoyed it. It's a very good display and not well enough known.
However, now that people know that it occasionally hosts SVX meets, it will become much more popular.
Best wishes to all and here's to the next time!
Ian & Linda
Old 08-18-2003, 05:32 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Hi Ian

Glad to see you are onboard - my SVX made it into Unique Cars so would be great to see a UK report appear in it down under!!

Cheers

James

(Sydney, Australia)

PPS: we are probably going to be coming to the UK in June 04 to work so I'll have to tag along to one of the meets!

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 08-19-2003, 02:31 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
Hi all, just got back to sunny Guernsey.

Many thanks to Tony for such wonderful organisation, and thanks to the rest of you for putting up with my boring conversation.

Unfortunately I was bitten by the meet-monster on the way home as I developed a clunking noise from the front of the car, which got progressively worse. It initially sounded like a stone rattling around on the undertray, but became a loud clunk in the last few miles. The car feels the same to drive, so I hope it isn't anything too serious. I will have to crawl under it tomorrow.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954
Old 08-20-2003, 01:31 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
They're back!!!

Hi Fellows and Gels,

Just got back from our few days away. Glad you all had a good time, and all got home safe.

Phil and Angie sent me a text, which didn't arrive for a bit because I was in and out of jurisdictions, roaming. Thanks guys, will be in touch.

Phil S., I suspect your singing brakes could be the little metal spike they put there to warn the pads are getting low.

Andy L., sorry to hear about your clunk. Sounds serious. Do you want to sell it now??

Will have a bit of fun checking out all the pics.

All the best,

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 08-21-2003, 02:02 AM
Phil & Belha

Hi Joe,

You're almost right about the brakes. One of the two backing plates on the nearside front inboard pad is missing - so there's no squeal to tell you it's low - just get a nasty grinding noise when it gets down to the backing plate. That pad seems to wear down quicker than the others because the back side of the disk is scored.

But a new set of pads will fix it.

Andy recommended the EBC Greenstuff to us, but a friend in the motor racing community told us not to touch them with a 10ft pole and recommended Pagid. Their website, and my limited understanding of German, leads me to believe that they don't make front pads for the SVX only rear ones.

We're now trying to decide whether to stick with OEM pads or try a different aftermarket brand. I seem to remember a thread on this site suggesting that the disk-warping problems reported by some members are due to the use of cheap aftermarket pads. Maybe we'll just order some OEM pads from the US - it will probably be cheaper than our local dealer.

Phil & Bel.
Old 08-21-2003, 02:04 AM

Tyred out ??

Hi everyone

When I remember to bring my camera to work I'll post my pics. Every time I tried to get a group shot at the museum another car turned up........

On the "meet Monster" front, Angies car failed it's MoT on tyres yesterday. Plenty of tread across the section but down to the canvas on the inside edge of the fronts....... Will be getting tracking checked, anyone have the figures to hand ?? I can't find the handbook at the moment (home office is a mess.....)

We have gone for Bridgestone Potenza RE720's as a tyre choice. I've had them on the mini for a while, they have the currently fashionable curved flutes from the center to the edge of the tyre and a nice big rim protecter bar to help prevent damage. Will keep you posted......
Old 08-21-2003, 02:40 AM

Phil

Nothing wrong with EBC, they are a british company with years of experience in the motorcycle brake scene. The car pads are colour coded to heat range, black being coolest (OEM), then green (fast road/mild trackday use), red (heavier cars/regular trackday use/motorsport), yellow (hard motorsport/endurance racing) and then blue (24hrs' du LeMons ??). Another positive of EBC pads is they produce very little dust.

Nothing wrong with Pagid either, they are alledged to customise the pad material for each application, hence they cost a a little bit more to buy.
Old 08-21-2003, 06:12 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: Tyred out ??

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil Hill
Hi everyone

When I remember to bring my camera to work I'll post my pics. Every time I tried to get a group shot at the museum another car turned up........

On the "meet Monster" front, Angies car failed it's MoT on tyres yesterday. Plenty of tread across the section but down to the canvas on the inside edge of the fronts....... Will be getting tracking checked, anyone have the figures to hand ?? I can't find the handbook at the moment (home office is a mess.....)

Phil

Wheel alignment details:

Front:
Camber -0 degrees 25 mins +/- 45 mins
Caster 4 degrees 50 mins +/- 45 mins
Toe 0 +/- 3mm
Kingpin angle 16 degrees 00 mins
Wheel arch height 380mm +10 -20 mm

Rear:
Camber -0 degrees 40 mins +/- 45 mins
Toe 0 +/- 3mm
Wheel arch height 335mm +10 -20 mm

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 08-21-2003, 03:24 PM

Buying parts from the US

Andy, who was the source you mentioned in the US ?

The supplier I mentioned in the UK is a subaru breaker in Sleaford, if anyone wants his details send me a private mail.

Arthur
Old 08-21-2003, 04:08 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
Re: Buying parts from the US

Quote:
Originally posted by Arthur-UK
Andy, who was the source you mentioned in the US ?

The supplier I mentioned in the UK is a subaru breaker in Sleaford, if anyone wants his details send me a private mail.

Arthur

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...threadid=11499

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: