How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-02-2003, 06:24 AM
billisa

oil pump... just replace?

I have a 92LS-L with about 165,000 on it. Runs great. I am wondering, should the oil pump be replaced as a matter of good, long-term maintenance? I'll be away for a week soon and had considered just having it done. I've pretty much kept up on all the other stuff...
Old 07-02-2003, 08:43 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Oil pump replace

I'd do it at the second t belt change (or about 150k). Subie pumps are good for about 180k before they crap out. Rebuilding is possible but only gets a few more years out of it. Buy a new one they aren't that expensive but I wouldn't do it unless you're doing something else in there.
Old 07-02-2003, 08:52 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Re: Oil pump replace

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob
I'd do it at the second t belt change (or about 150k). Subie pumps are good for about 180k before they crap out. Rebuilding is possible but only gets a few more years out of it. Buy a new one they aren't that expensive but I wouldn't do it unless you're doing something else in there.
no offense but where did you come up with the 180k estimate?
phil
Old 07-02-2003, 08:59 AM

Re: Re: Oil pump replace

Quote:
Originally posted by Phast SVX

no offense but where did you come up with the 180k estimate?
phil
Well starting with the How to Keep Subaru's Alive book which says they'll last about 120k (going by 1980's technology for the seals), most mechanics will recommend replacement or at least a rebuild at the second (or 3rd t-belt change). Plus the fact that everyone I personally new that had one go in a Legacy based engine it went around the 150-200k mark, RARELY BEFORE!!!! Usually they would just start leaking b/c the seals would crap out. Granted you have a lot of people that have 'em for 250k but to me its pretty much like a water pump. Much cheaper to pay the $100 or so for a new one before it goes then deal with the aftermath if you don't.
Old 07-02-2003, 09:58 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I had a 97 OBS and the oil pump went at about 90k miles. The plate on the back of the rotor housing came loose. It's held in with six(?) flat head phillips screws. The pumps wear out because the rotor and the plate wear. The clearance between the rotating and stationary parts increase. This causes internal circulation in the pump and a lowering of discharge flow/ pressure. On the OBS it pushed out the oil seal. So if you see the oil seal pushed out of the housing, the pump is really bad.
I have two used oil pumps now from the SVX. One with 150k miles and the other with 110k miles, well that's if they were never replaced and there's no way for me to know that. I have been meaning to check the clearance of the rotor to plate. It would be interesting.
Old 07-02-2003, 10:25 AM
billisa

So, I'm getting the sense from you all that at 160,000 I should replace mine. Now, I don't have anything else that I know has to be done, so it would just be the oil pump... While the tech is in there, is there anything else that should be done? How big a dela is changing the oil pump?
Old 07-02-2003, 11:47 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

The oil pump is way in there. The T-belt has to come out so consider the, Water pump, Cam seals and Crank seal. If your T-belt isn't due you may want to wait on doing the oil pump.

The idler pulleys for the alternator and a.c. compressor are due too.

The ones that keep me guessing are the T-belt sprokets and idler pulleys...... someday those bearings are going to go. I hope with a lot of warning.
Old 07-02-2003, 01:28 PM
billisa

maybe I'll wait...

I did the idler pulley on the a/c just last month, the t-belts were done 20k ago, the cam seals about 10k ago... the idler on the a/c gave me about 2 weeks of warning, then it seized...
Old 07-02-2003, 01:45 PM

Water pump? It is much cheaper to do it all at the same time regardless of if it is going bad or not. Then again. If they put a bad part in you're in the same boat so it is kinda apples to apples.
Old 07-02-2003, 07:53 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
The crank seal is in the front of the oil pump, so the crank seal will come with the oil pump, it is right behind the t-belt, if you haven't replaced the water pump before, go ahead and do it to, tthe cam seals are oly like $8 each so do them too, then everything in the front of the engine will be new again...oh yeah, put a new T-belt on to
All of these things will be easy to do when you get it down to the oil pump.

Just did all that myself...except the oil pump.....now my lifters are pecking ...shouldn't have cheaped out and got a Oil pump while I was in there, now I have to take it all back apart oh well, thats just the way my luck has been running lately
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 07-02-2003, 07:55 PM
billisa

I forgot the water pump...

Did the water pump last December. It and the idler pulley are the only two things that have ever gone on this car... The rest was just maintenance I thought should be done...
Old 07-03-2003, 05:55 AM
billisa

So let's say I get the oil pump done anyway, and therefore the T-Belts. Is this a job my own mechanic can do or are special tools required (for special tools, I'm thinking more about the T-belts...).
Old 07-03-2003, 06:00 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
No special tools required
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 07-31-2003, 04:38 PM

I was reading another post that said that most of the time the only thing that needs to be replaced is the oil pump o-ring, not the entire pump. What's your guy's opinion?