SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2003, 10:10 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
OT: I'm a daddy!!!!!

well, not that kind. I went to portage wi for easter dinner with my fiance's parents, and... well, her sister's boyfriend lives on this farm, and a few days ago there was a squirrel in the chicken roost, and so they trapped it and killed it. Guess what? It had two babies. I LOVE SQUIRRELS, and I'm nursing them back to health. They'll be released into the wild, so dont worry, I'm not going to keep them as pets. Anyway here's a link to another forum about the subject! I"M EXCITED!
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...33#post1355933

This is what they look like:

http://www.wild-life-rehab.com/SQU3.jpg

Thought I'd share my joy!!!

- Rob
Old 04-20-2003, 11:32 PM
alacrity024

a friend of mine had a tame squirrel when he was a kid.. it was pretty rad. the thing would just sort of hang out on your shoulder.. unbelieveably fun pet.. see how you like them and consider keeping one.. at least you'd know HE was safe.

-adam
Old 04-21-2003, 08:13 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
GAH! Man, you scared me. Well, have fun raising the squirrels. Without being raised in the wild, I wonder how well they'll cope once you let 'em go.

As I understand it, they require a lot of understanding if you keep them as pets. I know you're not planning to, but I know of people who have.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 04-21-2003, 09:07 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
LOL I read the other link, Rob, and looks like this isn't the only forum where you have a... reputation.

I've always liked squirrels though.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 04-21-2003, 10:20 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
I absolutely LOVE squirrels, Rob! Good luck with raising them. I hope they are able to adapt when it is time to let go of them. I have always wanted to find a baby squirrel and raise it as a pet. It is one animal that I wish people would try to breed and domesticate. Not sure I would feel too comfortable with a first generation domesticate running around my home but if someone could breed the wild out of them I would consider it.

Best of luck and give them a cuddle for me, you lucky bastage!

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 04-21-2003, 01:10 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

They're REALLY cool. If you don't mind I guess I'll keep you updated on them. Last night, they discovered the joy of 'cheerios'. They LOVE them! I also woke up at 8am this morning to give them some 'breakfast'; a squirrel formula composed of one cup whole milk, 1 tbs of white karo syrup, and a 200mg pill of vitamin E. You feed them with a syringe (no needle though) and they hold it with both hands and suckle on the end. It's really cute. Heh. After my first class this morning I had to run to the library, then I woke them up (lazy things) and fed them again. They LOVE the formula!

Anyway, they'll be fine in the wild. I'm basically only going to handle them when they're little like this; in about a month or two they should get a bit more 'flighty' and at that point, I quit touching them. That way, they remain 'afraid' of humans. I'd love to keep one as a pet, but honestly I don't really have the room for one, and my apt next year doesn't allow pets. I still need to name them though... Im thinking about naming them after samuari or something. :P

SQUIRRELS ARE AWESOME!

I never understood why people like birds so much.... birds poop on your car, and they're kinda boring. Squirrels are acrobatic, funny, intelligent, and ... they NEVER poop on your car.

- Rob
Old 04-21-2003, 01:16 PM

in NJ it is Illegal to keep an animal like that. you have to bring them to a place where they would be properly taken care of, such as a wildlife rescue place. they know how to properly raise them so that they can be let go into the wild...

how do you plan to teach them how to live in the wild?

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 04-21-2003, 01:30 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Thumbs up

Who cares about releasing them back. Just keep them. My grand father used to have one as a pet. Those are pretty cool.

L
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 04-21-2003, 01:38 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

It's illegal here too, but I don't really give a flying .... crap. "Land of the free"? Puh-lease. The mom was killed, and they'd have frozen to death last night if it hadnt been for me. I've rehydrated them, given them food and warmth, and have learned a ton about them. I vote that they can stay with me for a while, not some government place. :P

Anyway, the way you teach them to live in the wild is by doing a 'soft release'. Basically, you put their CAGE out in the wilderness, for a few days. LEave it shut. Keep feeding them though. Then, after they get used to the temperature, sounds of nature, etc, you fashion a 'filter' for the door so only something the size of a squirrel can get in or out. Keep putting food in the cage, but less and less. Eventually nature will take over and they'll be free.

It'll be pretty emotional to release them, I bet.

- Rob
Old 04-21-2003, 01:38 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

PS: I spose there'd be a TINY TINY chance of me keeping one of them... the one with half a tail. I'm just not sure he'd be able to jump from branch to branch as well as other squirrels. We'll see I guess.

- Rob
Old 04-21-2003, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane
It's illegal here too, but I don't really give a flying .... crap. "Land of the free"? Puh-lease. The mom was killed, and they'd have frozen to death last night if it hadnt been for me. I've rehydrated them, given them food and warmth, and have learned a ton about them. I vote that they can stay with me for a while, not some government place. :P

Anyway, the way you teach them to live in the wild is by doing a 'soft release'. Basically, you put their CAGE out in the wilderness, for a few days. LEave it shut. Keep feeding them though. Then, after they get used to the temperature, sounds of nature, etc, you fashion a 'filter' for the door so only something the size of a squirrel can get in or out. Keep putting food in the cage, but less and less. Eventually nature will take over and they'll be free.

It'll be pretty emotional to release them, I bet.

- Rob

i hope that does work, but if i were you, i would keep them...i wouldn't want to take a chance to letting them go, and even if you didn't touch them when they get a little older...they would still smell you and get use to that.

they wouldn't stay at the government place...most of the animal rescue places are people that are properly trained but are not employed by the government, just liscenced. they have treated and released thousands of animals, it is no easy task, and they have the proper training to do it.

Kelli

if you want to raise um, keep um
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 04-21-2003, 01:47 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
I say KEEP EM!
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 04-21-2003, 02:17 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

http://www.hal-pc.org/~jbsum/squirrel.html#Formu

Here's some info for you squirrel lovers. Like I said, most squirrels will NOT be happy as pets. They want to run around trees, go exploring, and be free. Inside, they'll create disasters. Shredding anything, eating wires, getting into things they shouldnt be in, etc.

I'm probably going to release both of them, but like I said, the only worry is the one with half a tail.

- Rob
Old 04-21-2003, 03:12 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
I wouldn't worry about "Stubby", Rob. Squirrels tails are not prehensile and don't have much to do with their agility. They are too light to be used for balance. They are used mostly as communication tools and to attract mates. If anything, he just won't get laid as much the squirrels with the longer appendages (isn't nature universal? ). My property is full of squirrels of all sizes and colors and they all do just fine. I even recall seeing one with a short tail.

Just do what you can and release them with your best blessings. Let nature do the rest. You'll have already given them more than they would have had.

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 04-21-2003, 07:04 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Wink

SQUIRRELS ARE AWESOME!

I never understood why people like birds so much.... birds poop on your car, and they're kinda boring. Squirrels are acrobatic, funny, intelligent, and ... they NEVER poop on your car.

- Rob [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, Rob, but they keep getting stuck in the treads of my AVS dbs, & make braking difficult.

OK, OK....JUST KIDDING!!! I swerve for all wildlife, & stop to rescue box turtles when possible.

Ron(maybe I WILL make it to heaven).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.