Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-06-2017, 09:12 AM
Sue isn't really striped

airbag questions (accident, didn't deploy, wonder what needs fixing now)

I recently got in a high speed accident (see http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64301 )
where I lost steering on the highway and crashed into the cement median. The airbag did not deploy, I'm told it's because I rotated the steering wheel several times just prior to impact (and therefore assume I snapped the ribbon cable).

There was remarkably little damage to me or the car, I suppose I hit at just the right angle: shredded the front driver's side tire, bent and ruined the strut, road rash on a few different areas but that seems to be it. Was a tad surprised at hitting my head on the ceiling since I'm not tall, but impact threw me forward and up before seatbelt grabbed: didn't hit too hard but was wearing a hairclip/pin that got jammed into my scalp. Also hooked my thumb in the wheel during panicked wheel-turning. Nothing awful.

Dont know if airbag would have normally deployed. I hit at almost full speed (just under 60 mph) but at an angle so stop wasn't immediate. Overall glad airbag didn't deploy because it would have only increased problems.

Now have questions on what else likely needs replacing (on a '92):

- Seems like ribbon cable and whatever else has to come with it should be replaced.

- airbag sensors? (not sure how they work)

- anything else? Any reason I should worry about brakes or seatbelts or whatever?

Should I be concerned about airbag unexpectedly deploying now? I worry there's a tiny possibility random frayed wires could connect when I turn the wheel. And are my airbag sensors somehow stuck in a "yikes an accident" position?
Old 06-06-2017, 12:45 PM

Registered SVX
Re: airbag questions (accident, didn't deploy, wonder what needs fixing now)

turning the steering wheel will not damage the ribbon cable in itself, if the steering sector is connected to the column. Continual rotation if the steering free wheels would. yours was not free-wheeling.

Also, you can check the diagnostics. If you turn key to on, and you see airbag light, and then it goes off when you start car, the Airbag system checked out fine and is active. If the light stays on, then you have a fault.

You just didn't hit the frame rail hard enough to trigger the sensor for deployment.

The system either works entirely or you have nothing and a airbag light on meaning the system fault somewhere.
97 SVX Lsi 70k
2003 s2000
91 RT4WD 166K
Old 06-06-2017, 01:57 PM
Sue isn't really striped

I rotated the steering wheel several times (5? 10?) with zero effect on the direction of the car right before impact.

The airbag light is on now.
And horn doesnt work.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:00 PM
Sue isn't really striped

"free wheeling"

Wasn't mine? There was absolutely zero communication between steering wheel and tire direction.

Tags
airbags, ribbon cable, srs