Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-12-2013, 01:03 PM

Re: Fuel Pump AND Fuel Guage Tank Mechanism

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
Got all the cr*p out. Enjoy the horror. Next step, corrosion cleaning, lines replacing and GALVANIZATION. Hope they don't cost me much, my wallet is all ***ed up nowadays
Hey, that mess looks familiar! It may be different for you, but with mine I was able to just wipe off all the corrosion to reveal the original paint underneath. you might give that a try before you spend money on galvanization.

Also, while you have it out, you should take the plastic "boxes" off the fuel sending units and check out the actual mechanism itself. If your gauge was acting crazy there's a chance the fingers and contacts are gummed up. When they're working right you should measure between 0 and ~50 Ohms depending on the position of the float (0 = float up in "full" position), just as a sanity check. Be careful with the arms and such though, they're irresponsibly delicate.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:05 PM

Holy C**p - are the photos fairly standard looking for parts from fuel tank ???

Or is this because the car has been sitting around with min. fuel & venting has allowed air to get into tank????

I would suspect that the corrosion is way past being able to be fixed on some of those parts - I think a U-PULL is your best option.....unless you can still get them from a dealer?.

Would this must bad metal cause bad fuel ?
Old 08-12-2013, 01:23 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

There is no U-pull over here Stephen. I WILL overhaul everything, including the inside of the plastic boxes. Because of the low quality of fuel around here, I have no option but to galvanize the parts, even if I buy them new, it is the same thing. The parts are rusted out on the outside, I simply cannot get it, even if I dip a piece of metal inside seawater for 6 years, it wouldn't turn out like this!

For the metal cap, I removed everything attached to it other than metal, and I am starting with the rust treatment as we speak. I have a very powerful compound that I got locally for my Mercedes project.

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:38 PM
The Molinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
James do you have any pictures of the process?
If I'm tha James you were asking.. Sorry for late reply.. REAL busy prepping for business booth with new supplement product that has helped me and others greatly.. booth at car show Concorso Italiano this Friday in Monterey I took my 308GT4 Dino Ferrari to..for 17 years in a row! .. Sold it last September.. What a switch from car display to vendor booth .. Ha!

Looks like you got a crazy situation well under control.. more power 2 U!

BTW.. My gauge stopped working also. I'm back to odometer reading!

Thanks, Jim
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 08-12-2013, 01:40 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Carefully trying my rust eating compound on those parts. Since the inside of cover is not easy to clean with a wire brush, I am simply applying the liquid inside and leaving it overnight. When done, it will eat all the rust away and cover metal with a protective black sludge which can be easily buffed away to show the shiny metal (as underneath metal shown).

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.

Last edited by SilverSpear; 08-12-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:37 PM

There are no U-Pull shops where you are ????

(or is it just that there are not enough SVXs in your part of the world, like here in NZ). So you end up having to buy new bits?.

What about if someone in the USA/Canada/Europe can get better second hand parts to you ????

Any helpers out there.....
Old 08-12-2013, 07:13 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

Try evaporust used it on many parts and it eats the rust off without damaging other parts and is reusable and bio friendly.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 08-15-2013, 01:33 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURTEESS View Post
There are no U-Pull shops where you are ????

(or is it just that there are not enough SVXs in your part of the world, like here in NZ). So you end up having to buy new bits?.

What about if someone in the USA/Canada/Europe can get better second hand parts to you ????

Any helpers out there.....
There is no U-pull, rather there is They-Pull-For-U and charge you some amount according to mood. Furthermore, I know someone who has a parts SVX, some distance up in the mountains, but I cannot trust him with the trip. Many times he said something on the phone and turned out to be different when I got there.

Rust cleaning process ongoing. Will post pics soon, thanks guys for your help.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:22 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX

Thought to do a thread of my own, but not worth throwing threads here and there over the same topic. I am simply overhauling each and every bit of what is in the tank. Here is an example:

After removing the lines and using my rust treatment compound on the brackets, here is an example... halfway I mean:

After this, I am heating them with my torch to make sure not a bit of rust remains in the pores, and cool it down with WD-40

On monday I am taking all those to Galvanization.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:36 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX

After cleaning all the parts from rust and replacing some bits from the cover at the machinist place, I took them to galvanization (or some process called smthg smthg Chromate). Bill so far:
- Machinist: $10
- Galvanization: $4 ( he charges on a per Kilo basis)
- Bolts, Nuts, Hoses and Clamps: $13
- Replacing old lines with copper ones & silver soldering: $8

Now the big question is, I have a Walbro that I bought years ago, can I use it as a replacement unit instead of the original one? or will my gas mileage be affected?