How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-25-2002, 04:20 PM
billisa

Unhappy Help! Water pump$$$

When my local dealer said they could fix it today, I brought my SVX in late last night for a potential water pump replacement. When I called this morning, they said it was indeed the water pump and that it would cost $199. for the pump (not incl. gasket/coolant) and 6.0 hrs. labor. After calling 1st Subaru parts who sell a Subaru pump for $74.00 and then Subaru of America who say that the Subaru pump list price is $99.95, I protested. The dealer then said they put in a non-Subaru pump gotten from NAPA, list $202.00 (given to me for $199.00). The dealer refused to tell me what kind of pump this was, nor would they show me the invoice for it. I had called another dealer (too late), who said a new pump would be $99.95 with 4.2 hrs labor. The dealer I had the service done knocked the labor down to 4.5 (claiming it took 6 hours). Bear in mind, since the timing belts had just been done 8,000 miles ago, this wasn't part of today's work.

So, essentially for a water pump, gasket, thermostat and some coolant, I paid about $630.00.

Any thoughts? Thanks for your time.
Old 10-25-2002, 04:28 PM
Boone

Aside from screwing customers I don't think SOA would look kindly on dealers using aftermarket parts. Drop a dime?
Old 10-25-2002, 04:45 PM
billisa

Forgive me Boone..

I can be very dense, so could you elaborate? I think I held my own in complaining to the pres./gm of the dealership, but he tried to make it seem as though I shouldn't have a problem, and that they were doing me a favor taking $600+ off my hands.

Any specific insight you could give would help me in drafting a letter to SOA, or the CT ATTY General. Thanks.
Old 10-25-2002, 04:59 PM
Boone

Maybe someone else can help you with exactly how dealers are obligated to do business. I would think that they are supposed to use genuine Subaru parts at a standard mark up and charge hours from the Subaru book. The hourly rate can vary some, of course. Otherwise it would seem logical that they are violating their "license" from SOA.
Old 10-25-2002, 06:24 PM
billisa

Here's what they said...

They don't use a Subaru book, but a Chilton's manual to figure labor hours! While SOA didn't know about the non-Subaru parts, they did say dealers could charge whatever price they wanted for a given part, and it was up to the consumer to "shop around." I indicated that with a leaking water pump, driving around to find a more cost efficient dealer might not have been the best idea.

It wasn't till I pushed the parts manager on why the price was so much higher than a Subaru pump that I was told this was a non-Subaru item. I would have thought non-Subaru parts would be cheaper?

Thanks for the insight Boone, and taking the time.
Old 10-25-2002, 08:22 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
This thread makes me happy that I can do my own work.
Hopefully everybody will shop around some after hearing about your experience.......at least it will have helped them out, maybe that will make you feel you got something else from the ordeal.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 10-25-2002, 08:45 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Shoulda called me, for $630 I might have come up there and done the job myself. Prolly been done in an hour or so and could have had a nice weekend away on your nickel. Probably would have installed a new timing belt while I was there.

Seriously. if it took a tech six hours to do the job he must have spent four of those hours at Hooters - it is Friday, you know....

Dealers are normally required to buy $xxx dollars in parts/model sold/year. They are also usually required to buy xx% of the national average. They need to keep their CSI (consumer satisfaction index) at or above a certain level in order to qualify for specials, discounts, allotments and additional dealerships, etc.

However, they can still do anything they want. They can trim back their parts inventory investment to not include parts for a limited production model that doesn't interchange with more popular models. Especially when considering the model hasn't been built or sold as new in the past five years.

3.8 Hours is the typical charge for labor and that includes r&r timing belt. Add an outrageous $200 pump, $10 anti-freeze and $266 (@$70/hr.). $12 for a t'stat and .7hour more labor for it equals $537 + tax. I hope they took you to dinner first and lit your cigarette afterwards.
If I were concerned about being gouged, I'd be calling NAPA and finding out what the 'street' price is for that pump. They're usually a lot more competitive than that.

In regards to legal action - that varies from state-to-state. Some states put a limit on what can be considered a reasonable profit while many others avoid the mess by offering 'Caveat Emptor' as the credo to buy by. That is, until one of the lawmakers gets burned, then the gloves come off...
Old 10-25-2002, 08:48 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Unhappy

Sorry, Bill - I think you got a tad hosed on this one. I got similar work on mine last June from a Suby dealer in Baltimore.
Total for following was $880.50 parts & labor:
Timing belt, thermostat, water pump, V-belt, A/C belt, crank & one cam seal replaced.
All parts were Subaru. The pump cost $109.02, part #21111AA033.
Labor for all was $560.00. I know the feeling though. It ain't like you can go shopping with green stuff leaking on your shoes.
Always do the water pump with a belt change.
'Til next time - Ron

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 10-25-2002, 09:08 PM
billisa

What a weird feeling!

At first, one feels vindicated when knowledgeable people confirm your suspicion that you got hosed. Then it becomes all the more apparent just how hosed you got!

I do appreciate all the insight. Now I have to decide whether I want to pursue this (and pump up the sense of being hosed), or just forget it (and hope the lingering hosedness will just fade away)...
Old 10-25-2002, 09:20 PM
billisa

Exclamation Guess what?

I checked out the NAPA site and found my pump (NWP559254) for $129.00! (Not $199.00)

Someone mentioned getting a "street price." Just curious, can anyone find out what that might be on this item? I'd really appreciate it. Or, if someone could find out reliable info on what a dealer might pay for this item, I'd love to know.
Old 10-25-2002, 10:32 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
The dealer's cost varies, depending on how much they normally spend per month, whether or not they stock $xxx in parts, etc. Besides, that's none of your business anyway, no more than they have a right to know how much you paid for the car that you're trying to trade in for a new one (hypothetically.) Or how much your company profits on whatever it is you/they sell.

Taking advantage or price gouging is a despicable practice, and one that won't earn them many repeat customers. Make sure you let everyone know. Check with your local consumer affairs office and see if there's anything that can be done.

Good Luck

BTW - 'street price' is what you would pay at the parts store. Common practice is that the store charges walk-in customers less than list (5-10% less), however most repair shops I've worked in go by the MSRP. We could sell you the parts below cost but we'd just make up the difference in the labor rate. How do you want it sold to you?

Last edited by Beav; 10-25-2002 at 10:35 PM.
Old 10-25-2002, 10:35 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Re: Guess what?

Quote:
Originally posted by billisa
I checked out the NAPA site and found my pump (NWP559254) for $129.00! (Not $199.00)

Someone mentioned getting a "street price." Just curious, can anyone find out what that might be on this item? I'd really appreciate it. Or, if someone could find out reliable info on what a dealer might pay for this item, I'd love to know.

I personally don't mind paying a dealer for marking up a part 10-20% for resale. I deal with items in my trade that can be bought on the cheap, but my interest in serving you, the customer, begins to wane when I realize you'll just do me a brain-pick, then expect my folks to install your "find" & warrant it for next to nothing. No meat on my table. Now if the mark is 100%!? Yeah - the nozzle has penetrated.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 11-08-2002, 11:16 AM
Registered Abuser

I just bought a water pump at CARR Subaru in Beaverton, OR for $70.
94 Barcelona - FWD SOLD
92 Ebony - 3.90 SOLD
94 Laguna ROLLING w/4.44s/Ecutune ECU +TCU/STI springs/Infiniti M45 rims