Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-18-2007, 11:26 PM

Is it a heating problem, or not a problem at all??? Also engine knocking in "D"?

Hi all.

My SVX tends to heat up fairly fast, BUT it has never ever went past the middle of the temp gauge. I question if this is normal because on my sister's Nissan, it does not climb that high. I'm at the middle of my temp guage within maybe.. 10-15 mins of driving/idling. Again, it has never went past, but I always feel uneasy seeing it rise so fast. I felt it was T-Stat, so I went to go buy one (A Prestone one). But looking at previous threads, this one wont fit? ? ? Which AUTO STORE ones do fit? I only have 2 days to work on my car, so I can't wait for the OEM from subaru.

My second conundrum: the svx idles with a thump thump thump, consistent when im at a stoplight. BUT when I put the car in neutral, it goes away completely and it idles quietly. Obviously tranny related, but what can solve this problem?

THANKS IN ADVANCE for helping this N00B!!!!
Old 02-19-2007, 05:11 AM
What blue lights?

Send a message via AIM to GOT2HAVESVX
My SVX doesnt even come 1/4 way to the middle way to heating up! When I put a synthetic oil in it now it hardly comes off the C ! But I still get awesome heat. I dont have a clue about the clunking, I got a noise myself thats driving me nuts! But its car when I hit a bump! GOOD LUCK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallion
Hi all.

My SVX tends to heat up fairly fast, BUT it has never ever went past the middle of the temp gauge. I question if this is normal because on my sister's Nissan, it does not climb that high. I'm at the middle of my temp guage within maybe.. 10-15 mins of driving/idling. Again, it has never went past, but I always feel uneasy seeing it rise so fast. I felt it was T-Stat, so I went to go buy one (A Prestone one). But looking at previous threads, this one wont fit? ? ? Which AUTO STORE ones do fit? I only have 2 days to work on my car, so I can't wait for the OEM from subaru.

My second conundrum: the svx idles with a thump thump thump, consistent when im at a stoplight. BUT when I put the car in neutral, it goes away completely and it idles quietly. Obviously tranny related, but what can solve this problem?

Scott & Audrey's Subaru SVX's

1995 Green
1992 Black
Old 02-19-2007, 05:33 AM

It's normal for the temp gauge needle to rest just below halfway at full operating temperature. If it barely gets off the "C" something's wrong; maybe the sending unit going bad.

dcb
Old 02-19-2007, 05:51 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Hi all.

Stallion, when the car is in D, there is more load on the engine. The slow running solenoid is supposed to compensate for this, and for other loads, by adjusting the tick-over.

This solenoid could be dirty or faulty.

When your car is going thump thump, are the revs very low? Do the revs go up higher when you select neutral?

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-19-2007, 08:21 AM

Registered SVX
Hiya,

My JDM sits just below half no matter what the temp is outside, in traffic or driving.

Darren.

11/94 SVX Alcyone, Mica Black, VL Spec 4WS, 71K Miles, 1 owner from new & was part of a private car collection in Japan.

Nissan R34 Skyline Stagea

91 Lotus Elan SE Turbo

1966 MGB Roadster, Tarten Red, Wire Wheels, Leather, 23K miles from new

You can tell the men from the boys from the speed of their toys.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:10 AM

Yeah, in D it idles somewhat low, maybe 300-400? But in N it idles just a TAD higher = 500.

My temp sits right in the middle, not below but right in the middle. I always feel unsettled about how fast it heats up and that it's sitting right in the middle rather than a tad below the middle. UGH
Old 02-19-2007, 10:34 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Yeah, in D it idles somewhat low, maybe 300-400? But in N it idles just a TAD higher = 500.

My temp sits right in the middle, not below but right in the middle. I always feel unsettled about how fast it heats up and that it's sitting right in the middle rather than a tad below the middle. UGH
That seems to be idling too low. The thumping you are getting could be the engine on the verge of cutting out, and just picking itself up.

These things are factory set in the software of the ECU, and you should be on an even tickover of about 650.

The only thing I can think of is your TPS which sends the voltage to the computer, it may be set at a wrong base level.

Do a search on TPS adjustment. It is easy to do, and if it sorts your problem you will be very happy with how simple it was.

Your temp gauge sound OK to me. Check if the main rubber hoses from your radiator are rock solid to squeeze after heating up, or if you can squeeze them, and push water through.

If they're solid, it indicates air in the rad, possible gasket problem.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-19-2007, 03:16 PM
What blue lights?

Send a message via AIM to GOT2HAVESVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb
It's normal for the temp gauge needle to rest just below halfway at full operating temperature. If it barely gets off the "C" something's wrong; maybe the sending unit going bad.

dcb
By barely coming off the C I mean like 3 needle widths. Its lower when its colder but thats expected. Audrey

Scott & Audrey's Subaru SVX's

1995 Green
1992 Black