How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-18-2002, 07:14 PM
greenSVXer

engine compression

what are the numbers that i'm suppoosed to obtain for the engine compression?
What else should I look when testing and inspecting an SVX?
Old 05-19-2002, 02:08 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
170-210 psi @ 200-300 rpm.

Reading through past posts will give you an idea of things to watch for in particular areas. To try to list everything would be more like an online shop class. If you need help with a certain area we'd be more than happy to assist.

Last edited by Beav; 05-19-2002 at 06:33 AM.
Old 05-19-2002, 05:23 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Top offic

Beav, I have a question for you only a little related to compression issues, hence the header.

My car is due its 60K service. I have a cambelt, and have recently changed other items, filters etc. I have a clicking tappet on the right bank as you face the engine. This will mean the rocker cover off on that side at least. I also have seepage past the nuts holding on the rocker cover. My question is this; would I be safer to buy a full seal set, which comes as a kit from Subaru.com?
Or should I just buy what I think I need?

I also have a bad oil leak somwhere behind the cam belt cover. This may be the crank seal, I don't know. What normally leaks here, it seems a common failure? Would I be wise to replace the water pump while the thing is stripped down also?

Appreciate your view on this.

TIA

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 05-19-2002, 07:05 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
To me it looks like 16 bolt seals plus 2 cover gaskets are $64, cam and crank seals another $20. That's about 1/3 of a complete set. The question becomes how important is the rest of the set to you? Hopefully you'll never need the head gaskets, and if you do, by the time you need them the cover gaskets and seals will need to renewed. I guess if I were in your shoes I'd just buy what I needed.

If you're having a lot of leaks it could be due to the aging of the seals, etc., but please do check the entire PCV system. If it doesn't work properly the case pressure will force oil past your new work. I replaced my PCV valve and the leaks I had at the covers and bolt seals completely stopped, without replacement. Also be attentive to the seals, I've just been reading a trade magazine that states a lot of shops have experienced Subaru cam and crank seals missing their tensioning springs. The article's author stated that a couple dealership parts counters agreed that it was an issue. Also noteworthy was a mention that some cars were built with the crank seal installed backwards.

Once you have the t-belt off take the time to actually determine the cause of the leak. Being cavalier at this time is not productive. What may appear to be a crank seal may indeed turn out to be the oil pump body to engine block gasket (RTV?) leaking. Before buttoning up the completed job be sure to thoroughly clean the entire area with spray cleaner or equiv. in case another leak pops up. It will make determing the cause of the new leak much easier.

The water pump replacement might be a good thing, I temper my recommendation by the skill and comfort level of the individual asking. Prefaced in that light, I'll say I didn't because the t-belt changeover is a quickie job for me. For those less inclined and/or without a number of 'advantageous' tools I'd probably recommend they go ahead and replace the pump while the replacing is easy.

Last edited by Beav; 05-19-2002 at 07:08 AM.
Old 05-19-2002, 07:49 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Thanks for the advice

Beav.
My problems here are compounded by the fact that the SVX was never imported here, so the local main dealers know nothing about them, and want to know even less. Also, my car is a Japanese import, so they have a policy of refusing to do any work on those. Stated reason is that the JDM models are different than UK models, and all the information [when and if available] is in Japanese. The real reason is they do not want the competition of people or companies importing their own cars from Japan, so they make it difficult to service them knowing this will affect the resale value.

I will be getting a freelance guy who does a lot of work on imported Imprezas here to do the cambelt, and I am hoping that because of this he will have the tools and the knowhow to manage the pulleys and timing.

Thanks again

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl