How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 03-21-2006, 12:32 PM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
Don't forget that a large part of polution produced by pure biodiesel or the biodiesel part of B20 was absorbed by the oil producing plant a few months/year earlier, so it is cycling the polutants from air to solid to liquid and back to air, not adding what was essentially stored for millions of years in oil deposits.

I went to this site

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymake/bymanuNF.shtml

and compared gasoline VS diesel engines of the same year in the same vehicle with the same transmission and found that consistantly the diesel engines without much polution controll (late 80's early '90s) and with mechanical injection (could be most closely related to a carbureted gasoline due to the non closed loop aspect) emited lower anual green house gasses than their gasoline brethern with electronic closed loop fuel injection, catalytic converters and extensive polution controlls.
Now I fastforwarded to 2002 VW since it is the only mainstream diesel availible in the states curently, 1.9L diesel emits 20% less greenhouse gas than 2.0l gasoline, and when compared to the larger gasoline engines the difference is even greater.

With the advances in computer controlled diesel engines particulate mater has been drastically reduced in stock power plants, sadly not in some overly modified vehicles though
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:41 PM
Good morning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red SVX 92
That makes sense. Perhaps the costs would increase significantly if output were to be ramped up to level that could sustain our economy? Sounds counterintuitive, but I don't know the processes used.

Probably, it isn't the only solution, more people using mass transit would be great, but in the sparcely populated areas out here ridership would be inadequate to support it a 15 minute drive across town would take almost 2 hours by bus so what is the point of saving a couple dollars to ride the bus? I looked into building a little electric car to drive arround town, but it would be so expensive to build that by the time it half way paid for its self I would need new batteries.

I'd love to see a hybrid diesel electric that could get 100+mpg
Old 03-21-2006, 12:59 PM
Good morning!

I just found this solution for nitrogen oxides

http://www.azom.com/details.asp?newsID=1955
Old 03-21-2006, 01:05 PM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapaBavarian
With the advances in computer controlled diesel engines particulate mater has been drastically reduced in stock power plants, sadly not in some overly modified vehicles though
My problem is that even if the FPM output standard is down to .2 and being reached... what happenes when there is 20-30 fold vehicles puting out .2 and for more hours in the day???? It'll still be a huge step back. My buddie's 1.9l biogolf (an 03) never ran as clean as my 97 2.2l subaru. I have cali heads on it though if that really matters and his was auto, mine is 5 speed.

As I said before I like the idea of b20 becoming a replacement fuel (even up to 70) used in trucks and buses (with the appropriate controls and equipment, most importantly forced air) but I really do not want to see it becoming the replacment for gasoline. I'd much rather see more hybrids and eventually electrics and so on.
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 03-21-2006, 01:18 PM
Locker Link Solution

check this out...
http://www.airnow.gov/index.cfm?acti...US&language=EN

Notice what happens when people start getting out for the day...
With b20 used as a large consumer fuel those greens will start becoming yellow or orange, and those yellows will start becoming orange or red...
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Last edited by Speedklix; 03-21-2006 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:26 PM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapaBavarian
I just found this solution for nitrogen oxides

http://www.azom.com/details.asp?newsID=1955
missed that post, yeah, I'm aware of that. Once again, trucks and buses.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: