How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-03-2005, 01:26 PM
jessej396

Flexplate?

I had my differential replaced at the local amco, and they stuck what looked like a household pvc pipe fitting on top of the differential to replace an air hose connector from the intake. They didn't notice that it was too tall and directly interfered with the throttle pulleys. I noticed that there almost seemed to be a governor on the car after I got it back, cause it just wouldn't really kick in to the high end of the throttle. Then about a week or two later I was missing an exit and punched it, it stuck, full throttle. I couldn't immediately tell where the throttle was catching, (I've had my floormats stick it in the past), so I ended up starting it a couple times to see if I had found the cause while it was still stuck. As an apparent result of being started at full throttle, every time I start it, it sounds like the starter is skipping teeth on the flywheel. I took it back to amco and they checked out the starter and the teeth on the flywheel and such, and told me that there is a "flexplate" between the engine and transmission that the starter mounts to, and this has been warped. Since then the car has started making more even scarier noises at high throttle, and now even at low speeds, so I've parked it.

I can't find any flexplate in my manual or online parts suppliers, and I'd like to have a pretty solid idea of whats going on, and what sort of collateral damage could be associated, before I take it back there and entrust them with my vehicle again. Help?
Old 07-03-2005, 05:05 PM

If you have the chilton's manual, it's almost at the very end of chapter 3. It's also here It attaches to the rear of the engine. If you are taking it off or replacing it, it might be worthwhile to replace the engine rear main seal.
Old 07-03-2005, 06:31 PM
jessej396

The "plate-drive"(#1) on subaruparts FLYWHEEL page? This is a bit confusing... I'm assuming its the "drive plate" in the chiltons manual? Does the flywheel stay with the tranny and that's why it's not mentioned for automatics in the chiltons book?
Is the drive plate a likely culprit for this scenario?

I need a lift and more spare time. Figure this crap out myself,...
Old 07-03-2005, 08:28 PM

I'm not sure why subaruparts.com has it listed as a 'flywheel' page, since only the manual transmission has a flywheel and the auto's have a drive plate. The drive plate goes between the engine and torque converter. As for the cause of the problem, I don't know as I've done a manual swap and never driven it as an auto.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:50 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
You could have cracked the flexplate due t high stress on the engine at startup. I have a new one sitting in my garage if u need it. bring it back to the shop that did your diff and ask them if they will do it for free and pick up the cost of parts too. This is really their fault. PCV in a car is unacceptable from a shop. Let me know if u want a new(used) one

Tom