Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-08-2005, 06:05 PM
(This account is in rememberance of)Duct Tape Man

Send a message via AIM to Yoda3000
Unhappy Well, front diff bit it. Please diagnose

When I bought my car I knew it had bad berrings in the front differential, I could hear them. So it wasn't a big surprise when my car developed a ticking from the front which rapidly developed into a clunking. Above 25 mph it's too jarring and jolting to drive. I don't think it's an axle becuse I've had those break and it feels much different. This doesn't "break loose" the way an axle does.

The purpose of this post is to make sure, based on the symptoms described, that it is indeed my diff. Also, it only behaves this way in gear, obviously.

My other question is I want to doublecheck that the front diff. can be replaced without replacing the whole tranny. according to SVXHunter, it just bolts on to the front. I just wanted to doublecheck that info.

Thank you in advance for the speedy and intuitive replys.

Early deceased SVXWN Member
July 1986 -- February 2007

Michael - Duct Tape Man

1992 Burgundy SVX LS-L, 138K: Brembo Slotted/Drilled Rotors, B&M Tranny Cooler and Filter, SmallCar Shift Kit

1992 Burgundy SVX LS-L, 123K: DEAD FROM FATAL HAIL DAMAGE, Parting out so PM me if you need something.

"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything" - Fight Club
"This is not my life, this is not my home, this is not me. I HATE THIS!" - Static X
Old 05-08-2005, 10:07 PM
Live it, Love it, Breathe it

Send a message via Yahoo to SVX-FF
Ok if you are sure that it is the from diff and not an axel going bad then yes you can just replace the front diff. See attachment on how to. Also I belive that the bearrings can just be replaced with out even removing the tranny. I have an old SVX tranny with stock gears that I can test it on if you would like?
Let me know

Steve
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Replacing the Front Differential.pdf (863.6 KB, 264 views)

SVXepidia SVX information warehouse
Are you in?

My Old Locker

A 4.11 Founding Father
"Tranny #6" I really need a manual

Reading IX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ya I was there
Old 05-09-2005, 04:43 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
A bad CV will only click when turning. A bad diff will click all the time.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:51 PM

what do you mean, all the time?

I've had bad CV axles before, they slip out and spin freely. This time there was no slipping involved, just a clunking when in gear.

Michael - Duct Tape Man

1992 Burgundy SVX LS-L, 138K: Brembo Slotted/Drilled Rotors, B&M Tranny Cooler and Filter, SmallCar Shift Kit

1992 Burgundy SVX LS-L, 123K: DEAD FROM FATAL HAIL DAMAGE, Parting out so PM me if you need something.

"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything" - Fight Club
"This is not my life, this is not my home, this is not me. I HATE THIS!" - Static X
Old 05-10-2005, 06:54 AM

Failing CV joints are noisy. If an axle should "slip out and spin freely," a CV joint has failed.

dcb
Old 05-11-2005, 10:21 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Describe an axle slipping out. My view is the axle slips off the stub indicating the crush pin is broken or missing. Or else the stub itself pulled out of the diff.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:45 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
It takes a lot of work to swap out diffs. If your bearings have been bad for a while I would not doubt that the gears are shot as well. This will require the front half of the trans to be taken apart as well as the rear. the pinion runs all the way through to the front from the rear. It is a big pain in the arse but you gotta do what u gotta do to make it work.

Tom
Old 05-14-2005, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomssvx
It takes a lot of work to swap out diffs. If your bearings have been bad for a while I would not doubt that the gears are shot as well. This will require the front half of the trans to be taken apart as well as the rear. the pinion runs all the way through to the front from the rear. It is a big pain in the arse but you gotta do what u gotta do to make it work.

Tom
So you think it's more then just buying a working diff and bolting that on?

Quote:
Describe an axle slipping out. My view is the axle slips off the stub indicating the crush pin is broken or missing. Or else the stub itself pulled out of the diff.
The two axles I've broken make it where you can still drive but if you give it too much gas at all then the axle breaks loose and the rpms and mph skyrocket as the axle spins freely. Then you have to let off the gas until the axle pops back in. That allows your car to "limp" along at 40mph.

This is not that problem. This is a clunking that grows louder and harsher and quicker with speed making it impossible to exceede 30 mph.

Michael - Duct Tape Man

Old 05-15-2005, 11:02 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
yes, the ring and pinion need to be replaced more than likely. I cannot promise you that, but the ring and pinion always need to be a matched set. They are made to work with eachother, using an unmatched set could cause the gears to self-destruct in a short amount of time. So even if the gears were ok, your would need to use the pinion from the new diff case.

Tom
Old 05-16-2005, 02:10 AM
Sue isn't really striped

I dont really have anything helpful to say, but when my front dif failed it went suddenly from fine to a lound grinding noise followed by continuous shuddering car-shaking thunks and unpleasant noises that made it obvious that I needed to be towed. Cute sharks teeth were shorn from the gears, I plan to turn them into a necklace. Got any metal floating in yours?

(I decided to go with a new tranny)
Old 05-16-2005, 01:55 PM
Meow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda3000
The two axles I've broken make it where you can still drive but if you give it too much gas at all then the axle breaks loose and the rpms and mph skyrocket as the axle spins freely. Then you have to let off the gas until the axle pops back in. That allows your car to "limp" along at 40mph.
That sounds like an axle that has stripped out leaving only enough teeth to provide minimal forward momentum.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:04 PM

Ok, the mechanic called back and confirmed that it is the front diff and that simply replacing it would do the trick, but he went on to say that labor alone would be about $750!!!

is that right? To just drop the tranny and swap the diff?

Michael - Duct Tape Man

Old 05-17-2005, 01:13 PM
Meow!

You're not swapping the diff, you're swapping the entire tranny. The cost would probably be the same...unless you're doing the labor yourself.