Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2002, 09:44 PM
ehyde111

Question CV boots torn - need new axle

Both my outer CV boots are torn "all the way around." One of the techs told me I should have the front axle replaced at the same time because it is going to fail anyway because of the CV tears. Now, I do not have any clicking or other symptoms. Is he right? Should I replce the axle? I'm leaning toward no, but looking for someone who knows better.

Thanks
Old 01-06-2002, 01:25 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: CV boots torn - need new axle

Quote:
Originally posted by ehyde111
Both my outer CV boots are torn "all the way around." One of the techs told me I should have the front axle replaced at the same time because it is going to fail anyway because of the CV tears. Now, I do not have any clicking or other symptoms. Is he right? Should I replce the axle? I'm leaning toward no, but looking for someone who knows better.

Thanks

Chris, if the boots were torn for any length of time at all, I'd have the axles replaced. That's just my personal opinion, but, I, personally wouldn't want to take the chance of failure. Again, that's just me. You'll probably want to wait on more opinions.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 01-06-2002, 04:55 PM
ehyde111

Re: Re: CV boots torn - need new axle

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Chris, if the boots were torn for any length of time at all, I'd have the axles replaced. That's just my personal opinion, but, I, personally wouldn't want to take the chance of failure. Again, that's just me. You'll probably want to wait on more opinions.
How would I know when the axles were about to go --- clicking around turns? What would happen if I let them go too long?

Thanks
Old 01-06-2002, 09:35 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
What I would believe is that the axles have probably been open and exposed for some time if the boots are torn "all the way around." If I were going to do the work myself I might consider just cleaning them up and re-booting, if they were quiet and not 'notchy' when flexing the joints. Rebuilt axles are typically in the $65 range at places like AutoZone (geez...I can't believe I just used the 'A' word... )

If I were going to pay someone else to do the job I would rationalize it like this - you've got a pretty good chance the joints are damaged, even though you don't hear anything *yet*. If you pay $90 - $100 per side for new boots you're going to feel screwed in a couple months when you have to pay someone to replace those axles that have now become noisy. Sure they'll probably pop you for $180/side installed for reman axles, but in the long run you'll probably save money doing them now. Plus you can wait until they start making noise before replacing them...

Beav
Old 01-06-2002, 09:40 PM
Not as old as Randy

Re: Re: Re: CV boots torn - need new axle

Quote:
How would I know when the axles were about to go --- clicking around turns? What would happen if I let them go too long?

Thanks
Typically you'll hear a clicking/clattering sound when accelerating from a stop with the wheels turned to the side. Leaving them go too long normally results in loss of power to the ground (thank goodness you probably have AWD ) Worst case would be increasing difficulty in steering, possibly causing an inability to steer. Highly unlikely would be an axle shearing and beating the heck out of everything, including a brake hose....

Beav
Old 01-07-2002, 04:06 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: CV boots torn - need new axle

Quote:

Thanks
I replaced an outside boot on my right rear axle on the SVX over a year ago and no complaints from it.

I do, however, now have a noisy axle on the front left of the car.

It just depends on how long the grease was exposed to contamination. Dirt turns it into grinding paste. Unfortunately, you have no idea how long your boots have been torn.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 01-13-2002, 01:15 PM
SVX Animated Icon Guy!

Send a message via ICQ to htyei Send a message via AIM to htyei Send a message via Yahoo to htyei
torn cv boot story

I had the same problem when I bought my car with 52k miles.
Both my cv boots were torn from the previous owner and I have no idea when. I had quotes from mechanics and one told me it was better to replace both my axles (i remember the quote was way higher cost than waht you guys were taking about, but hey I live in the bay area!)

Needless to say, haveing just bought the SVX, i didnt have that kind of money no matter how tempting it was.(we all want pristine svxes!)

I had the CV boots repaired and 10,000 miles later, it is fine as far as I know.
http://www.svxwrx.com
Old 01-14-2002, 04:11 PM
Lowered SVX

you should get them fixed when.......

you start hearing some noise. just get them rebuilt. i have been driving with a bad left one for about 2000 miles. just waiting to buy all new ones from subaru. only think you need to worry about is binding. my right one bound one time and the axle spindle began pulling out of the tranny. actually twisted some of the teeth on the end and the spindle portion had to be replaced.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 01-14-2002, 08:11 PM
ehyde111

cv and axle

Well, I think I'm going to replace the cv boots and watch for symptoms of a bad axle. With the other things going wrong (tie rods, tires, and a cracked/bent wheel). I'd rather not spring for a new axle now. I know it may haunt me int he future, but maybe not. THanks to all for the advice.
Chris
Old 01-17-2002, 03:52 PM
Lowered SVX

you should be fine.

just know that you will have to fix them sooner rather than later if you go that route.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 01-22-2002, 04:29 PM
Ray Garrison

Question

I also have torn boots. Last time car was in shop (November) the dealer's service dept. advised me I would need "new front axels" in the near future, at a cost of about $900. Dealer is Dan Perkin's Subaru of Milford, CT. They said I could get by for a few more months, but not much more than that.

Is $900 reasonable, given that I have absolutely no mechanical aptitude myself, to have the dealer do this?

Thanks,

Ray
Old 01-22-2002, 04:51 PM
Not as old as Randy

Around here shop cost for reman axles is about $55 - $65 - you might shop around a bit. BTW, I've been a pro tech for 31 years and there's no reason to use new parts when replacing axles. Even if you pay someone else to do the job it should be around $250 ea., parts and labor.

Beav