Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-14-2003, 02:53 PM
tangwichjustin

Tranny slipping?

Hi all,
I had my trannie rebuilt about 9k ago and am now experiencing some odd behavior from it. Twice now the trannie has seemed to cut out or at least stop transferring power from the engine to the wheels. Both times I was at a steady 2k rpm (approx) and all of a sudden it felt like the car was in neutral but the rpm did not raise and the car would slow down. This lasted about 2-5 seconds then all of a sudden it started accelerating again normally (again I did not move my pedal and the rpm did not change). This has only happened twice so far and once the engine/trannie was cold the other it had been driving for almost an hour. Does anybody has any ideas on this before I drive it in to get looked at? Oh yeah and the trannie fluid/filter was changed about 3k ago. These problems only started showing up in the most recent 500 miles on the car.
Old 10-14-2003, 03:07 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
This sounds to me like you have a problem with the engine losing power or stmbling, not with the transmission slipping. If the transmission was slipping, you'd see the engine RPMs rising.

Does your 'check engine' light ever come on?

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 10-14-2003, 03:15 PM
tangwichjustin

Both times no lights came up, and I was pretty confused when I didn't see the rpm go up or down when the car started slowing. I have noticed the car has more unburnt gas coming out the exhaust than when I bought it, though I also have switched it to full synthetic oil on its last two fluid changes.
Old 10-15-2003, 05:24 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Smell of gas or actually looking at gas dripping out? Sounds like the engine is runing rich. Air filter?
Old 10-18-2003, 02:35 PM
tangwichjustin

Well the car sputtered and died on the freeway yesterday. I took it to my local trusty mechanic and turns out it was the fuel pump. I thought it would have been something in the smog equipment or electrical. Anyways figured I would keep everybody updated on what happened and say thanks for being so helpful.