Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain

Old 03-12-2017, 12:44 AM
eg33svx95

Registered SVX
Svx95's 2008 6MT Swap (Pics)

I will provide a full cost disclosure, not to brag but to inform, along with links to parts used, helpful "tips and tricks" I discovered along the way and most importantly PICTURES which are linked to my Dropbox.

The swap: 2008 6MT/R180 Differential with 87,xxx miles
Purchased from: Go Fast Tuner Parts on Facebook 01/02/2016
Price: $3400 + ($300 shipping)
Parts list included:
6MT pulled from donor vehicle
6MT swap ready to ship
6MT swap delivered
6MT swap unboxed

The vehicle was purchased in 2009 with 103,xxx and the stock transmission blew up at 118,xxx miles December 19th 2013. Like many after such incident I 4.44 swapped the SVX. For the next three years I beat, romped, and abused the 4.44 transmission and it never quit. It was always ready to go. I did a total of 28 autocross events, 3 open track days, the spirited on ramp merges plus many nights of winter hooning. The trans was north of 130K when I got it, oh and did I forget to mention it is my daily driver so an additional 21,xxx miles on the 4.44. The 4.44 transmission, up to the point of the 6 speed swap, was the best bang for buck mod I had done to the vehicle. It is now retired in the shop, functioning when pulled, and I'm sure it's ready for more if anyone is interested? Yes that was a plug!
4.44 Trans
Brilliant Red 95 SVX L AWD 149K miles - #904/1801, 08 STI 6MT with DCCD & VSS, ACT SB10 HDSS, 6MT bushings, DW200 Fuel pump, 17x7.5 VX-SCYTHE Wheels, 17x8 BBS STI Wheels,PERRIN CRANK PULLEY, 911 Turbo oil filter,$15/15min MOD & $20/20min Mod, Brontrager WORKS 22mm RSB w/ QS component endlinks, SS Brake Lines, DDM TUNING 6000K HID LOWS, Hella Optilux Extreme Yellow Fog Lights,Window scratcher fix, JDM Clear Corners

My Locker

Last edited by Svx95; 03-22-2017 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:15 AM
eg33svx95

Registered SVX
Re: Svx95's 2008 6MT Swap (Pics)

I decided to 6 speed swap because...WHY NOT?. Since I bought the car in 2009, that was my goal and after graduating college that was my first big mod for the SVX. Very well deserved! I wanted more reliability especially with my involvement in track days and autocross plus future engine plans .

Although others had ventured into the 5/6MT swap world, none that I could find had gone with 6MT newer than 07. I believe there are three main reasons for that.
  • Gearing
  • Cost
  • Lack of Speed sensor

The gearing in the 2004-6 models was shorter than that found in the 2007's thus making it a very desirable candidate.
  • 2004-6 Manual gear ratios:
    1st - 3.636
    2nd - 2.375
    3rd - 1.761
    4th - 1.346
    5th - 0.971
    6th - 0.756
    Reverse - 3.545
    Final drive ratio - 3.90

• 2007+ Manual gear ratios:
    1st: 3.636
    2nd: 2.235
    3rd: 1.521
    4th:1.137
    5th:0.971
    6th: 0.756
    Reverse - 3.545
    Final drive ratio - 3.90

However the '06+ transmissions run 1.1:1 transfer gears therefore allowing a 3.545 rear diff.
What I found out is that 2008-2014's are the exact same gearing as the 2007 transmissions so I was set or so I thought.

I then realized that the newer swaps, even though 7+ years old, were more money. Something I should have foreseen... Anyway, not enough to be a deal breaker, but enough that I had to save up for two more months before I could afford one. In the meantime I continued to do research here on the Network and over on NASIOC. About 1 week before I bought the swap I read "there's no vehicle speed sensor on the +08's". I was about ready to say screw it and almost bought a 2005 swap. Luckily a good friend of mine did some digging and informed me I could use a module to convert ABS signal to a pulse-width modulation that resembled the VSS (so that I could have a functioning tachometer/speedometer). Through the same company, MapDCCD Motorsport, I also found a solution to the DCCD. After a couple email's back and forth Matt gave me a great deal because I purchased both items at once.

I went ahead and purchased the swap 01/02/16, informed Robbie at GFTP of all the extras I needed to conduct the swap and he got me all sorted out. (He doesn't work there anymore but GFTP continues to sell parts)

I wish the money spending ended there but it didn't. Acquiring the swap was just half of the expense. At the end of the day I still had to figure out what Clutch Kit I wanted, fluids, materials to fabricate the transmission mount, plus all the unforeseen expenses that piled on to the project.
Below is the laundry list of all the extra items with prices: For a total of $5,646.66 I had everything I needed to complete the swap.
Brilliant Red 95 SVX L AWD 149K miles - #904/1801, 08 STI 6MT with DCCD & VSS, ACT SB10 HDSS, 6MT bushings, DW200 Fuel pump, 17x7.5 VX-SCYTHE Wheels, 17x8 BBS STI Wheels,PERRIN CRANK PULLEY, 911 Turbo oil filter,$15/15min MOD & $20/20min Mod, Brontrager WORKS 22mm RSB w/ QS component endlinks, SS Brake Lines, DDM TUNING 6000K HID LOWS, Hella Optilux Extreme Yellow Fog Lights,Window scratcher fix, JDM Clear Corners

My Locker

Last edited by Svx95; 03-15-2017 at 03:38 AM.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:41 AM
eg33svx95

Registered SVX

Remember I mentioned the SVX is my DD, so the swap had to be done over a three day weekend. I tried planning and ordered many things weeks before the swap was done to have this done smoothly. However, unforeseen issues happened. That is the reason why some parts had to be overnighted.

Two weeks before the swap I ordered the ACT Clutch Kit, Kartboy shifter bushings, Master Cylinder Hard Line/Soft Line Bracket, STI Shifter Trim Bezel and the Motul 300:
ACT Clutch Kit
Kartboy Shifter Bushings
Master Cylinder Hard Line, Soft Line Bracket
04-07 STI Shifter Trim Bezel
Moutl Gear 300

The week before the swap I ordered Flywheel bolts, the SVX torque converter bolts are not long enough, pressure plate bolts and the STI Leather Shift Knob:
Flywheel Bolts
Pressure Plate Bolts
STI Leather Shift Knob 1
STI Leather Shift Knob 2
STI Leather Shift Knob 3

I also had a local shop resurface the flywheel and install the ACT pilot bearing for me:
2008 Flywheel (Rusty)
2008 Flywheel (Resurfaced)

Everything was at the shop, and I was ready to tackle the swap. The car rolled onto the lift at 5:45PM and by 11:30PM the entire drivetrain was out. I mean everything! Engine, 4.44 trans, all axles, driveshaft, R160, and the AT shifter:
Drivetrain Out (Front)
Drivetrain Out (Rear)
Drivetrain out (Engine/Trans)

The reason I pulled the entire drivetrain is because I planned to rebuild the original engine (with forged internals and lower compression) and I figured the extra working room on the firewall would be nice. Months before I even purchased the 6 speed, I purchased a spare engine to which I did a complete reseal. The spare engine would be mated up to the 6MT and put back in the car as one unit.

I cleaned up the inside of the bellhousing but didn't get a picture so the dirty one will do.
6MT Input Shaft
The rear main was replaced with an OEM one (not pictured)
Rear Main Seal
The flywheel was installed using NEW OEM bolts (55.3 ft/lbs of torque)
Flywheel Installed
The pressure plate was installed using NEW OEM bolts (11.8 ft/lbs of torque)
ACT Clutch Installed
The 6MT waiting to go in as one piece with the engine for ease of install.
2 EG33's

I started with the R180 and fitting the axles. I first swapped the R160 flange onto the R180. This is so that we can use the SVX driveshaft. The R180 mounting studs were a direct fit. I mention this because based on research I did before the swap, 05-07 R180 studs were too short. It was a very direct fit, an exhaust hanger bracket had to be bent a little to accommodate the larger differential. The axles were fitted next and here is where I ran into issues. The 08 STI axles slid right into the hub, so I knew the spline count was correct. However, when it came time to secure the knuckle to the strut assembly it just would NOT line up. (see pics below) After about 20 mins of pushing and shoving I realized they were just too long.(see comparison pics) I went ahead and called the local Autozone and had them Overnight a pair of rear 07 STI axles. Luckily for me they had a set at the "Distribution HUB", which is about 1hr away from my town, so I got them pretty early Saturday morning and they were installed within 10 minutes. Rear-end DONE!

Thank god for lifts and hydraulic jacks, the R180 is a heavy sucker!
R180 Installed
R180 Installed (Rear)
Here the 08 STI axle was fully seated in the Hub.
08 STI Axle in Hub
This was the closest I could get it to line up.
Knuckle/Hub Alignment
From left to right: 07 STI, 08 STI, 95 SVX
3 Axles Compared
From left to right: 08 STI, 07 STI
STI Axles

Since I hit a road block in the rear end, I decided to move into the interior for the rest of the night and removed everything I thought would be in the way for the pedal fabrication. Started by pulling the center console, then the AT shifter followed by the driver seat, lower kick panel, pedals and (the following day after dealing with maneuverability limitations) even went ahead and removed the steering wheel column!
Complete AT Interior
Center Console Removed
AT Shifter Removed
AT Shifter
Lower Kick Panel Removed
SVX PARTS EVERYWHERE

After installing the 07 STI axles in the R180 differential all of Saturday was fabrication and I mean all freaking day. To make it short and sweet, it was a very busy weekend! I got very little breaks and ate only here and there, mostly pizza.
The fabrication process is very tedious and to even have to think about it gives me headaches. The mount for the transmission is fairly easy and straightforward. The difficult part is the pedal assembly, due to many factors such as: distance, height, and angle. Instead of typing it out step by step I will provide pictures with short descriptions of what was being done.

Pictures to follow:

Fabrication Supplies
I used the rubber boot from the AT shifter as a template
Shifter Boot Plate
Plate Installed
Shifter Plate Installed
Template for master hole in firewall
Master Firewall Plate

This rod was used to extend the master cylinder rod as well as the reverse lockout eyelet. 1/4"x 3 ft
Steel Rod

This is the starting point of the Pedal Assembly.
Clutch/Brake Pedal Assembly (Original)

This is the starting point of the Pedal Assembly. Notice where the clutch linkage attaches to the bracing of the brake booster. I had to find a way to extend the assembly without disrupting the current mechanism.
Clutch/Brake Pedal Assembly (Original Rear)

This is the starting point of the Shift Linkage. Every rod/cable and the reverse lockout had to be extended a couple inches. (Exact measurements will come soon)
Shifter Linkage (Original)

The Sharpie markings indicate where I went ahead and cut to extend the rods.
Shifter Linkage Markings

This is the starting point of the Reverse Lockout. Notice the sharpie, that is where I went ahead and cut with a Dremel. For the Eyelet go ahead and remove the inner rubber grommet, otherwise it will deform with the heat from the Dremel (Don't ask me how I know)
Reverse Lockout Original
Reverse Lockout Eyelet

Unfortunately I did not take any pictures of the finalized shift linkage assembly. It's one of the last things I did and I was starting to get crunched for time. Maybe someday I will be able to get pictures of that stuff. The engine and transmission were dropped in next, and it was a very easy straightforward install. I proceeded to make the transmission mount.
I started with the original mount and then just started tacking rods and plates for support:
6MT supported by 2x4
6MT Mount Tacked
6MT Mount Tacked (Side P)
6MT Finalized Tacking
6MT Mount Finalized(Bottom)
6MT Mount Finalized (Top)

I went ahead and bolted the pedal assembly, front most section, to the column where the SVX brake bolted to. Then proceeded to take measurements of how much material I had to add to the rear. Adding the material allows the rear of the pedal assembly to reach the bolts, coming through the firewall, from the brake booster. (Actual measurements will be added later) I decided to cut the original SVX brake assembly at the required length and then weld the STI assembly and what I took from the SVX assembly to obtain my final piece. The clutch rod had to be extended as well, cut between the threads and plain rod. (Actual measurements will be added later) It worked out very well and one year later it's still as solid as day one. I'm very happy with how it turned out!
SVX Brake Cut (Side)
SVX Brake Cut (Top)
STI Pedal Clutch Arm Sharpie
STI Pedal Clutch Arm Cut
Welded Assembly (Side)
Welded Assembly (Side P)
Welded Assembly (Rear)

Clutch Rod Extension:
Original Clutch Rod
Extended Clutch Rod

After all the welds were finalized I went ahead and sprayed the entire pedal assembly with Flat black paint and allowed it to dry for a couple hours before final install.
Pedal Assembly Paint (Side)
Pedal Assembly Paint (Side P)
Pedal Assembly Paint (Rear)

The Pedals were fitted and all clearances were good. Finally installed.
Pedal Assembly Fitting
Pedal Assembly Fitted
Pedal Assembly Finalized

Clutch Master:
Clutch Master Installed

The Slave Cylinder and clutch line were attached to the transmission before dropping it into place. I proceeded to bleed the clutch lines, or I attempted too. The slave busted the moment pressure started to build up in the pedal. I found some very unusual wear in the piston. So I called and overnighted the Slave Cylinder $$$ Take My Money $$$.
Broken Slave
Unusual Wear On Slave Piston and Busted O-ring
New(left) and Busted Slave (right)

The slave from Autozone looked identical, aside from the weird looking bleeder valve, and was fairly cheap. Installing the new slave was a major pain with the limited space. To make matters worse I had to remove and install everything once more. I had to bench bleed the system because there was so much air and after about 30 minutes of attempting to bleed the system in the car I realized I wasn't getting anywhere. After I bled the system it was smooth sailing and everything bolted/firmed up nicely.

The wiring for the ABS to VSS, DCCD, Park switch and Reverse lights was finished up in the early hours of Monday morning. I feel like wiring can be a separate thread, so in case I have extra time and really feel ambitious I will go ahead and do a write up and add a link here **Not a link right now**

The last thing done was topping off fluids. The car was rolled out of the shop at 4AM Monday morning, all that was preventing me from starting the car was a broken clutch switch , which I failed to notice until it was time to plug it in (Noticed it Saturday night at about 7pm). The remainder of the early morning Monday I waited for the FEDEX truck to pull into my driveway and deliver the switch so I could ride my bike back down to the shop and install it. It was the longest 6 hours of my life!!!!

The switch went in after 30 mins of cursing, it's tight up there with all the wiring, and plugged it in. I did one final check through on fluids, looked for any misplaced tools in the engine bay and it was time to go home to sleep for several hours so that I could make it through a 12hr shift that night. The reasons I didn't start the car were: 1) I wanted to build up oil pressure without fuel "new" engine 2) Allow it to run in incremental heat cycles due to the "new" engine I had installed and 3) To burp out any air pockets in the coolant system (this alone took an entire Hr). I just didn't have anymore time. I was patient, came back the following day and did the above mentioned things. Everything worked out well!

First Start Post 6MT Swap

I drove the vehicle without any trim around the shifter for a couple days.
6MT Installed

After a couple days I put the stock trim back in place, I just couldn't bring myself to cut it up to fit the STI bezel.
Stock Shifter Trim

Here is how the shifter area looks now, in its finished state.
6MT STI Bezel

**Until I can get measurements this thread is finalized. Post away and feel free to ask questions**

Instagram: EG33SVX95
Facebook: Samuel Lopez

My Locker

Last edited by Svx95; 03-23-2017 at 02:41 AM.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:30 AM
dances with roads

Registered SVX

Subbed! This is an epic.
2012 Tacoma 4wd v6 Access Cab
2013 Mercedes E350 4Matic Wagon
2005 STi - totaled after 10 great years
1994 SVX LSi 5spd - sold but not forgotten
2000 Legacy GT 5spd sedan - gone after 150K miles of bliss
Old 03-23-2017, 04:31 PM
eg33svx95

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Subbed! This is an epic.
WDB I'm all done adding links to pictures. Enjoy!

My Locker
Old 03-23-2017, 09:35 PM

Registered SVX

you didnt lengthen the pivot arm for the clutch pedal to use the wiring harness hole?
Old 03-24-2017, 11:22 AM
eg33svx95

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamesy View Post
you didnt lengthen the pivot arm for the clutch pedal to use the wiring harness hole?
I didn't. Why?

My Locker
Old 03-24-2017, 11:49 AM

Registered SVX

Thats a good write up, I didn't think 08 axles would work, body changes there, but as sad as I am to hear of the trouble you had the better it is for the confirmation.

There really isn't much difference in the 07 6 speed I have and the 08 you have other then lack of speed sensor, and with your mapdccd solution you can actually get more precise speed signals as mine are off by the small margin of physical gearing, and or tires.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:10 PM
eg33svx95

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamesy View Post
It's actually easier to just cut the firewall. I believe the holesaw size is 1 5/8", that should give you the correct size hole.

My Locker
Old 03-24-2017, 07:13 PM
eg33svx95

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 SVX View Post
Thats a good write up, I didn't think 08 axles would work, body changes there, but as sad as I am to hear of the trouble you had the better it is for the confirmation.

There really isn't much difference in the 07 6 speed I have and the 08 you have other then lack of speed sensor, and with your mapdccd solution you can actually get more precise speed signals as mine are off by the small margin of physical gearing, and or tires.
Thanks Gene. I too am glad it happened just for the sake of verifying. Yes, the MAPDCCD VSS is a wonderful tool. No matter wheel or tire size I can adjust the pulsewidth signal to the computer to have accurate speed.

My Locker
Old 06-28-2017, 07:00 AM

When you say you wired up the park switch can you go into detail of what you did? I am in the middle of finishing up wiring details for my eg33 swap into a 07 Sti swapped (less ej257) 95 Impreza Coupe. I was going to wire the 07 Sti 6 speed neutral switch and RS parking brake to let the ECU know what condition I am in. Notes from my swap sheet...

"Not Needed With Automatic Transmission & ATCU Delete, Cut Branch @ 4 Into 1 Junction, Wire To RS Parking Brake To Let ECU Know Parked? (P: 0V, Other: 8V/min)"

"Not Needed With Automatic Transmission & ATCU Delete, Cut Branch @ 4 Into 1 Junction, Wire To STi 6MT Neutral Switch To Help MT Idle Stall Issue? (N: 0V, Other: 8V/min)"

Tags
5 speed swap, 6 speed swap, drivetrain, r180, wiring