Class Act...yes. Classy..........
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 07-11-2012, 04:19 AM
Soobologist

Send a message via AIM to subeman90
Registered SVX
Re: Anyone given any thought to the next Reading Meet

well the other "club" I am involved with usually shows at Carlisle. If we register 25 cars we get a free tent. Ultimate Subaru is the name of the club and relates to our web site www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum

I will say though that there have been issues with the Carlisle people in the past and quite honestly we have had less and less each year due to this.

If anyone wants more info let me know
Old 07-11-2012, 04:03 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by subeman90 View Post
I will say though that there have been issues with the Carlisle people in the past and quite honestly we have had less and less each year due to this.

If anyone wants more info let me know
What issues?
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 07-11-2012, 06:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001

I like huskymaniac's suggestion, I am all up for a vineyard tour in the SVX!
Old 07-11-2012, 08:12 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

WHOOOOAAAA there! Don't y'all stray too far from the Mason Dixon line!
Old 07-11-2012, 10:25 PM

Registered SVX

My 3.59 cents:

Carlisle for the Import/Kit car show would be awesome. I'd be inclined to show up for that. Whilst this year was my first (and lets hope not my last) Reading event and it was fun for what it was, it was kind of boring. Sitting in a parking lot drinking beer and bsing (while it has its place) isn't a meet for me. If I wanted to do that, I'd hang out with friends in their garage. I want to see sites, visit vendors, spectate events, check out other peoples cars (more than just SVX's) etc etc.

Hence why I volunteered to organize a cruise this past meet. I'm still willing to help organize for next year as well, depending on what is on my plate at the time. Its too early for me to tell right now, but tentatively I'm in. And hopefully I'll either be back in an SVX at that time, or something relatively equivalent (toying with the idea of an Impulse RS right now after owning a Geo Storm, but subject to change depending on whether or not I "Daily driver project car" the Outback).

Pretty much all I have, FWIW.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:04 AM
Soobologist

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean486 View Post
What issues?
we have had members kicked out for not doing anything (they said he was turfing the lawn in a 33" tired brat with a carb engine. aka yeah right) while larger clubs (volvo) have raced around the grounds dressed like the Stig and nearly hit people and nothing happened.

I really think there are 2 groups of people here and I'm not sure but maybe there should be 2 meets. There are those who like to drink and BS and there are those who want to drive around and do stuff. We have tried to organize stuff to do and scavanger hunts in the past and people just didn't care.

If Tony thinks he can organize a meet up there to go drink wine and go to a track then I don't see why he shouldn't. There are people that may not be into this and that is fine. "To each their own" right?
Old 07-13-2012, 12:37 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
I am still willing to organize the meet if it is moved to Watkins Glen. I know of locations where we could meet, drink, grill and play stuff like volleyball and softball. There are a ton of interesting sites and activities nearby and we could do a drive around Seneca Lake with stops at wineries. We might even be able to get track time at the glen. I'm sure I could get some form of sponsorship from 2-3 Subaru dealerships. There is a large hotel in town and several B&B's.
About 230 miles north of Morgantown and an additional 4 1/2 hrs. if coming from the south.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 07-13-2012, 05:31 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
About 230 miles north of Morgantown and an additional 4 1/2 hrs. if coming from the south.

Yeah, I know that could be an issue for some people. I wouldn't have suggested it if people couldn't have turned it into a full blown vacation. The amount of stuff to do might justify the drive. But maybe there is a more exciting location than Morgantown that is closer to the southerners that I am unaware of. What can be tough is finding a rural area with stuff to do. Without a huge turnout, Morgantown can be a boring place after you have discussed the handful of cars in the parking lot.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 07-13-2012, 05:47 AM
Soobologist

Registered SVX

ok I am going to throw this out here: maybe you guys should take a year off? Skip 2013 and aim for 2014 unless we are all dead by then (you know the Mayan's and stuff)
Old 07-20-2012, 09:19 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Moving it to line up with another meet that would peak others interest would probably be the best thing. I am no longer on the east coast but having been to Reading I can understand how some are not attracted to attending. We had a huge attendance for Reading X but nothing has since enticed people to come back. We need to take a step back and realize that maybe its time to change directions.

John instead of going from completely running Reading meet to doing nothing with it, why not pass along your connections and try to listen to peoples suggestions. I know in this pass some people are have been turned off by the lack of response their ideas received. I don't mean any of this in a spiteful way, I just don't want to see a tradition just die. We all as a club have been very thankful for your efforts you have put forth for Reading meets.

Husky I don't believe moving the venue up there will help.

As much as I hate admitting it, Benebob was right about the reading meets. We should take notes from other clubs and what make them successful. Why do people attend the other meets? What events do they have? Why do we not as a club make our presence known outside our own group?

Granted I know we are not large enough to invite vendors and what not out but I am sure there are clubs out there that have smaller meets.

Sorry if any of this has offended anyone but I felt it needed to be said.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 07-20-2012, 10:34 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
As much as I hate admitting it, Benebob was right about the reading meets. We should take notes from other clubs and what make them successful. Why do people attend the other meets? What events do they have? Why do we not as a club make our presence known outside our own group?

Granted I know we are not large enough to invite vendors and what not out but I am sure there are clubs out there that have smaller meets.

Sorry if any of this has offended anyone but I felt it needed to be said.
I agree... on the west coast, the car meets here are frequent and plentiful. Rarely they are single model (i.e. SVX only) meets. And if they are, it's usually very popular models of cars that have been around for decades. Corvette, Porsche 911, Mustang, etc.

You won't see that sort of meet even among Ferrari, BMW, Alfa, or the like owners. With meets involving these cars you have a "BMW" meet or an "Alfa" meet. Or an "Italian Car" concourse etc. Or a hot rod gathering.

We just did a little get together a few weeks ago with 5 SoCal SVX owners and attended the Subaru Summer Solstice 2012 meet in Palos Verdes Estates. It is a pretty substantial Subaru meet here in So Cal. And by just spending the day with hundreds of fellow Subaru owners, many of whom have never seen an SVX in person, they were very interested in our cars. Lots of pictures and questions.

I think we did more for the SVX brand in that one afternoon than we did in the previous 3 years. We also plan on attending more meets this year.

It's all about 2 things:

One, meeting with fellow owners and getting down with each other's SVXs. It's important to trade knowledge and tips and ideas.

Two, its also about presenting your car to the public in a classy way. Clean, original, or modded. And be happy to talk about the car to anyone who comes up, proud to show it off, etc. It's great when you have a young guy who's driving a new WRX look at the SVX and, with your help, understand that the SVX is the ancestor of the car he is driving.

That is the way to improve and expand the "brand" of the SVX. Meets like Reading are OK... but they should be only a part of the effort and they should be the hub of setting up other activities to help get the SVX out in the world... because we are the ONLY ones that will save it!

Last edited by dbarnblatt; 07-20-2012 at 10:38 PM.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:41 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Joining in a Subaru meet makes a lot of sense. Many of us own multiple Subarus of various types and could get even more out of a meet like that. Where do some of the better meets occur and when?

I would suspect the location would be determined by two opposing forces. One is that there are more Subarus sold in NY and northern New England than parts south. The other is that car rot and die faster in northern NY and New England than parts south. For the newer models, you would probably get a better turnout farther north and for older models, farther south.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 07-21-2012, 10:41 AM

Registered SVX

Yeah, I agree with the idea of reading joining up with another subaru group.
I also own other subarus.. So I am interested in other subarus too.
I am less interested in antique cars and trains..

I prefer a meet to have some substance to it, as in activities and vendors..
I mean if we got 20 svx to go to a suby meet and there was vendors there that make stuff, and we show them that we have interest in parts..
Maybe someone could make us a front swaybar.. or some struts.. or whatever..

Anyways, I have only owned my SVX for 2 years, and I have not went to reading. Drinking box of wing in a parking lot is not my idea of fun..
Old 07-21-2012, 01:00 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookin4SVX View Post
Drinking box of wine in a parking lot is not my idea of fun..
Some day you will!!

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872