Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-11-2012, 11:59 AM

Re: Comments you hear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aust92pearl View Post
auto parts guy "so is that like a imprezza or liberty "
mechanics "^^^same thing"
mate of mine "thats a F%#$ing weird looking nissan "
Subaru dealership.......... "so why are you booking a service here wouldnt you be better off at the nissan/hyundai one down the road " *me "ah no becasue its a subaru not a nissan " him "what really ? ive never seen or heard of one "

-_-
that has to be the worst... haha
Old 03-14-2012, 01:19 PM

I had an older gentleman in a chevy malibu ask what kind of car my SVX was just the other day, while sitting in a traffic lineup waiting for a crossing train.

My wife in the passenger seat, who is not a car person at all, was answering questions about the car to him, though the rolled down passenger window.

He seemed to think the car looked brand new. (my SVX is a touch on the rough appearance side, due to previous owner taking it to a bad body shop to have the car repaired after a hit, but the driver's side has worse paint than the passenger side that he saw.)

Just goes to show the car still looks modern, even 20 years on.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:02 PM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerFanatic View Post
I had an older gentleman in a chevy malibu...

Just goes to show the car still looks modern, even 20 years on.
So you let the elderly determine what's in vogue now, do you?

Not that I disagree with you, SVX is slightly dated in the sense that you can "spot the period" but still a quite universal design that still impresses.
I'm ready to f...
Old 03-14-2012, 02:10 PM

If the uninitiated, non-enthusiast public, like many people seem to be, still think a 20 year old car in less than pristine condition still looks brand new, and futuristic today... I think there may be some value in that random-sample, non-enthusiast opinion.

I ask my wife, (again, who readily admits she can't pick out one car from another) what she thinks about various cars solely on first impression of looks alone, just so that I can gauge what non-enthusiasts think about cars. I know what I think about them, but I am very much an enthusiast, and know what I like and why. But I know that I am not like most people.

She just has absorbed enough to answer basic questions about the SVX because we have one, and I talk about it so much.

Conversely, my wife can identify plants and trees on first glance, like I can identify cars, and I am so far away from a green thumb, my thumbs might actually be considered red, if not grease-embedded black.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:41 PM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX

That's certainly a point and I do think the SVX looks fresh even today. It's got a timeless shape, the wedge, and a very thoroughbred style which is mostly perceived correctly by people.

It's origins are very 80s but that doesn't make it dated like it makes most BMWs or Mercs from that age dated.
I'm ready to f...
Old 03-22-2012, 07:53 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Leaving work today (had to go to the research center for the past 3 days) I find my left rear flat and a large concrete nail sticking out of the tire. This sucks 11 times more since the tires have been on the car for less than a month. I'm busy changing it when a young girl walks up. She first comments that she had parked next to my car 2 days in a row since she knew that no one with an svx would give her a door ding and she had been wondering who the owner was (she has a new bmw) Then she comments that she is impressed with anyone who still owns an svx. I tell her to look at the odometer and she will be more impressed. She leans up to the window and peers in and was surprised at the mileage (296k) She says she still has a legacy gt spec B she is trying to sell. I called her a subaru traitor. I am smooth. I show her my tire with the nail in it and she asks what kind of tires they are. I tell here they are pilot sports and she says, "oh yeah, that's the older version" She expresses her concern for my safe travel on the donut, hops in her bimmer and drives off.

If I had not been so preoccupied with my tire change I would have at least got her name -- it's not every day you meet a girl who knows an svx from a ford probe and can decipher last years pilot sports from this years. I'm sure I have quite a few single friends that would have liked to meet her.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 399362_2883114209086_1597039899_32092609_1505209924_n.jpg (88.7 KB, 279 views)
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:17 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby View Post
Leaving work today (had to go to the research center for the past 3 days) I find my left rear flat and a large concrete nail sticking out of the tire. This sucks 11 times more since the tires have been on the car for less than a month. I'm busy changing it when a young girl walks up. She first comments that she had parked next to my car 2 days in a row since she knew that no one with an svx would give her a door ding and she had been wondering who the owner was (she has a new bmw) Then she comments that she is impressed with anyone who still owns an svx. I tell her to look at the odometer and she will be more impressed. She leans up to the window and peers in and was surprised at the mileage (296k) She says she still has a legacy gt spec B she is trying to sell. I called her a subaru traitor. I am smooth. I show her my tire with the nail in it and she asks what kind of tires they are. I tell here they are pilot sports and she says, "oh yeah, that's the older version" She expresses her concern for my safe travel on the donut, hops in her bimmer and drives off.

If I had not been so preoccupied with my tire change I would have at least got her name -- it's not every day you meet a girl who knows an svx from a ford probe and can decipher last years pilot sports from this years. I'm sure I have quite a few single friends that would have liked to meet her.
Great story. Well except for the damn nail in the tire. (I probably would have asked her how much she wanted for the Spec B, I love those)

I used to live in an apartment behind and upholstery shop, man I got so many nails in my tires. I complained once to the landlord (who owned the shop, and he just laughed said "what do you expect you live behind an upholstery shop."
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 03-22-2012, 09:21 PM
Designated Asshole

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby View Post

I was about to say...Please tell me you at LEAST got some digits!

hey! I'm single and ready to mingle!
Old 03-23-2012, 12:57 AM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX

Blowing a fag on the parking lot, a colleague came driving in his black A4 Allroad. Steps out, goes over my car and says "So that's the monster... or dream.. or something".

And that comes from an Allroad owner!
I'm ready to f...
Old 03-23-2012, 07:46 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboy View Post
Blowing a fag on the parking lot, a colleague came driving in his black A4 Allroad. Steps out, goes over my car and says "So that's the monster... or dream.. or something".

And that comes from an Allroad owner!
In America, this means something completely different...

In Norway, this means smoking a cigarette...
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 03-23-2012, 09:17 AM
work in progress

Send a message via AIM to LastSVXintheChi
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
In America, this means something completely different...

In Norway, this means smoking a cigarette...
i was waiting for someone to say something about that. i knew what it meant but i was waiting to see

1992 dark teal SVX LS
Old 03-23-2012, 04:23 PM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastSVXintheChi View Post
i was waiting for someone to say something about that. i knew what it meant but i was waiting to see
Me too. The actual situation wasn't that impressive so I had to spice it up with some ambiguous euro talk.

On the cute side, my son said "It's..it's..LIGHTNING MCQUEEN!" when he first saw it (he's just 3). I also bought a front facing child seat yesterday and picked him up in kindergarden today. First time riding in the car and front faced, too. Those were big, starry and wonderous eyes.

If case someone ever searches for it and this pops up: One does not simply fit a proper rearward child seat in the back (and not in the front if you have an airbag there). Forward facing seats are nema problema. You could easily fit two and both kids would have easy access/exit and legroom. Put a Rola on the roof and pack the boot reasonably smart and you're four on vacation for a month.
I'm ready to f...

Last edited by jetboy; 03-23-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

I haven't blown a fag in a parking lot since, like, college at least.
2001 Audi S8
Old 03-23-2012, 04:55 PM

Registered SVX

all the cool kids are doing it.
1956 Plymouth Belvedere - Daisy
1967 Chevy C20
1953 Chevy 210
1969 Plymouth Satellite
1949 Chevy Thriftmaster
1959 Chevy Apache
1951 Chevy Stepside