SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2011, 08:21 AM
Never Forget

Registered SVX
5speed ???

FINALly put a 5 speed in my car but now Idk if it drives right? I have a 99 impreza trans with matchig diff 3.90 and not sure how hard 1st and 2nd pull? ANYone know? Seems sluggish to me but could be just the gearing or the trans is bad? Drives fine other then that

94 SVX L AWD Conversion Barcelona Red First car and now being restored, 215xxx
Old 02-01-2011, 07:31 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: 5speed ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by VICSVX View Post
FINALly put a 5 speed in my car but now Idk if it drives right? I have a 99 impreza trans with matchig diff 3.90 and not sure how hard 1st and 2nd pull? ANYone know? Seems sluggish to me but could be just the gearing or the trans is bad? Drives fine other then that
I have a 3.90 Impreza Tranny in mine, and it pulls pretty good in 1st and 2nd.....much harder than the 3.54 4EAT did....
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 02-04-2011, 01:26 PM
Never Forget

Registered SVX

ANY ideas on what is causing this issue?

Old 02-04-2011, 02:18 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

As in the other thread, it's probably clutch related. I'm guessing it's a cable clutch, right? How far in do you have to push the clutch pedal for the clutch to disengage? It could be adjusted to where even when the clutch pedal is all the way up, it's still not letting it grab all the way. It could also be that the clutch is slipping, ie too weak of a clutch/pressureplate for the SVX's power, or worn down too much.

But yea, my 6-speed is a 3.9 ratio too and it pulls like crazy in 1st and 2nd. It has a hydraulic clutch pedal and a stage 2 STi clutch/pressure plate though.

What are the 1st and 2nd gear ratios for your trans?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 02-04-2011, 04:03 PM
Never Forget

Registered SVX

3.545, 2.111, 1.448, 1.088, 0.780, 3.416 1.000 final is 3.90

i put a new clutch, pressure plate, and throughout bearing it in but doesnt seem to pull right.

it is a cable set up....any ideas to try? it drives fine but when i step on it, it doesnt pull.

i didint turn the flywheel...is that a probable cause?...not sure what the flywheel is from cause i bought the car with supposed 92legacy turbo trans and diff but i changed it to the 99 impreza. perhaps the flywheel is still from the svx and auto trans and i need one from the impreza and manual trans?

Last edited by VICSVX; 02-04-2011 at 04:07 PM. Reason: added few ?s
Old 02-04-2011, 04:54 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
perhaps the flywheel is still from the svx and auto trans and i need one from the impreza and manual trans?
autos don't have flywheels. Is it slipping if so you have either a bad clutch, bad flywheel or bad adjustment.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:58 PM
Never Forget

Registered SVX

hmmm, might be flywheel...idk....all i know is it doesnt pull like it should. i replaced the clutch and pressure plate with new ones so that leaves flywheel and/or adjustment

Last edited by VICSVX; 02-04-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:04 PM

Registered SVX

Ok again: How far in do you have to push the clutch pedal for the clutch to disengage?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 02-04-2011, 08:21 PM
Never Forget

Registered SVX

i'll have to tell you tomorrow as i left the car sitting at storage lot. picking it up tommorow after work. but if my memory serves me right, it is an inch or two off the floor....

Old 02-04-2011, 08:26 PM

Registered SVX

Then it may not be the adjustment, more likely something else. You've ruled out it being engine-related right? Do the RPMs increase directly proportional to the speed of the car in 1st and 2nd or do the rpms increase faster? That would be a slipping clutch.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:48 AM

Quote:
hmmm, might be flywheel...idk....all i know is it doesnt pull like it should. i replaced the clutch and pressure plate with new ones so that leaves flywheel and/or adjustment
Unless it was horribly rusted or way warped I would say no. If you just bought a cheap clutch kit I would think that would be the culprit, if the clutch can handle the power then not so much.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Never Forget

Registered SVX

so i dove it again from storage to home...rpms are at 3 and speed is at 20mph in 1st and i still cant figure out what it is. the clutch feels fine and tight.

ium thinking flywheel....

Old 02-07-2011, 07:16 PM

Ummm.. That sounds about right. 20mph and 3k in 1st gear give you a 45mph 1st gear. Right in the area of where it should be. If it isn't slipping then I would say you're right in the ballpark w/o knowing the exact ratio of the trans you put in there
Old 02-11-2011, 05:45 PM
Never Forget

Registered SVX

i figured that much however i can still tell it is slippin

i adjusted the cluth and the pedal to no pervail and still feel the clutch slip...it seems like the pressure plate inst applying enough force on the clutch to the flywheel....the kit i used is ACT and it is rated at 308ftlbs.

going to take the tranny out and look at anything that looks out of the ordinary.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:06 PM

Registered SVX

either the flywheel needs resurfacing or the clutch disc is burnt/broken/shattered/gone lol