How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2002, 07:54 PM

Exclamation almost broke my car

ok my front rims were put on wrong after some rotor work a while back and i just decided to fix it today. well as i jack up the car and take all the lugs off the right front wheel, the jack decides to lean and fall almost to the ground, the only thing keeping it up was the last screw thing that the lug screws onto. well i am scared at this point so i get my mom's volkswagen jack from her car and jack it up again, i see it kinda moving around so i took the spare and put it under the car in case **** happened again, and well, to make a long story short, it happened. now i am really scared and decide the best thing to do is get a stronger jack. so i go get a 2 ton hydraulic jack from a nearby store and go to work, an hour after i started this ordeal i finallyl get the car high enough to put the donut on. from there i gave up and drove 10 min. to a local tire/wheel shop and they did it for free. all in all a very close call
Old 08-01-2002, 08:01 PM

Registered SVX
jack stands

PLEASE get a pair of jack stands!!!
Old 08-01-2002, 08:05 PM
Boone

Yes, jack stands and a decent floor jack if you are gonna "keep this up". Gravity and physics ane magical things, used in moderation.
Old 08-01-2002, 09:14 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: jack stands

Quote:
Originally posted by dromano
PLEASE get a pair of jack stands!!!
AMEN! Can I get a witness up in heah!?!?
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 08-01-2002, 09:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
You guys mean wheel chocks don't you? Jackstands don't help if you can't get the car jacked up first.

The only time I've had a jack move on me was when I forgot to set the parking brake and the car was already leaning over the side of an embankment.

FYI: You can break the lugs loose while the tire is on the ground, but don't take any lug nuts off the wheel until it has been safely jacked up.

KuoH
Old 08-01-2002, 10:05 PM

Registered SVX
jack stands----not the jack

The message is: do not work on a car that is held in the air by the jack (unless you are at the side of the road changing a flat)use jack stands to hold the car off the ground or garage floor. DO NOT rely on the jack while you crawl under the car to work, USE JACK STANDS. This simply is a safety issue.

Last edited by dromano; 08-01-2002 at 10:07 PM.
Old 08-02-2002, 07:33 AM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
I would've thought that was just common sense. I don't crawl under a car that is supported just by the jack, but I don't usually bother with a jack stand when just changing a tire. I suppose there is a risk with those cheap hydraulic floor jacks giving out at the wrong moment. I had one supposedly rated at 2 tons give out while trying to jack up the front end of a Mustang.

KuoH
Old 08-02-2002, 08:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX
jack stand "duh" LOL ..
Old 08-02-2002, 08:27 AM

The first thing I do when changing a tire along the road is throw the just removed tire under the car. That way if it decides to drop, I have something holding it up.

It is also a good practice to find a couple of rocks to use as chocks. Or jiggle the car before taking the wheel off to make sure that it is somewhat stable. All it takes is one close call to get you really thinking about consequences and how to prevent accidents.

When crawling under the car, it is always either on ramps, or on jack stands with the lifting jack in place just in case. And any removed tires go under the car as well.
98 Outback 180k
98 Dodge Durango 120k Ski Bus
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Old 08-02-2002, 09:07 AM
Lowered SVX

you got lucky.

hell the damn car could have fell on you.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 08-02-2002, 09:10 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Try the same thing under extreme heat where the asphalt kind of melts on the slope on the interstate. I did that and I nearly peed my pants on my way to the 10th. Anni meet.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 08-02-2002, 09:42 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by kuoh
You guys mean wheel chocks don't you? Jackstands don't help if you can't get the car jacked up first.

The only time I've had a jack move on me was when I forgot to set the parking brake and the car was already leaning over the side of an embankment.

FYI: You can break the lugs loose while the tire is on the ground, but don't take any lug nuts off the wheel until it has been safely jacked up.

KuoH

For a single, quick, tire change, I'd say chocks would do. But, if you're going to be swapping wheels, I'd say get yourself a little more support than chocks and a jack. And, yes, break the lugnuts free BEFORE the tire gets off the ground. I almost lost my nuts (not llugs) while working on my friend's 66 Impala's brakes when the jack tipped -- and the car was chocked. Not a fun thing to think about.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 08-02-2002, 11:29 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to jscorse
..and let me add...GOOD jack stands

Not those little 'sheet' metal three legged ones you get at the Dollar Store.

Many moons ago my neighbor (a sheriff) was working on his boat trailer brakes. Here's the picture... A LARGE boat on a two wheeled trailer. Front of trailer is on that little 'plastic' wheel that folds up when in tow.

One wheel and drum is off and he has one of those little chinzy tripod 'stands' under the trailer frame. He is leisurely working on the brake with his LEGS UNDER THE TRAILER.

So here you have a HEAVY boat on a trailer that has three points of contact with terra firma. One tire, one dolly 'wheel' and one cheezy sheet metal jack.

As he's yanking on the brake parts the trailer twists and the jack crumbles and the metal disk that holds the brake parts up lands on his THIGH.

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

As I sprinted over with my dad's 2ton hyd. jack no less than five guys (other nieghbors) try to free is leg to no avail.

The disk severed one of his quadracepts (which was removed) and easily broke his femur. He didn't loose his leg but he had one hell of dent in it for a long time.

Long story I know, but....well enough said.

I prefer my car ramps (with extensions) for oil changes because it's such a pain to get the hyd. jack under the car. For the wheels I usually take it in for the free rotate (yes...front to back only) and balance.

As someone once said.....THAT's GOTTA HURT!
Old 08-02-2002, 11:36 AM

Registered SVX
Re: ..and let me add...GOOD jack stands

Quote:
Originally posted by jscorse
I prefer my car ramps (with extensions) for oil changes because it's such a pain to get the hyd. jack under the car. For the wheels I usually take it in for the free rotate (yes...front to back only) and balance.
Ramps . . . for an oil change? My car never leaves the ground during oil changes. A) I don't like working under a raised car unless ABSOLUTELY necessary, B) If the car's "tipped" you don't get out as much dirty oil as if left flat, C) Because it isn't really necessary to raise the car for an oil change.

I have a set of ramps and use them when I have to and I also have a set of cast metal jackstands. I do, however, need to invest in a good floor jack.

Now, here's a question: How many of you have actually used the wheel chocks that came in the tool kit? (Or ANY tool in the tool kit for that matter?)
Subaru Ambassador

Old 08-02-2002, 11:46 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to jscorse
Reply on ramps

I like to take a look around under there every now and then to see things. It's nearly impossible to get a good look under the car if I can't get under it.

I take off the cover (I'm sure you ALL do). and it's quite challenging to do if you are not under the car.

I use the slight slope from the garage to the driveway to make the car 'mostly' level when it on the ramps.

and yes I do use those COOL little collapsable chocks.