How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-17-2008, 07:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
About to address my A/C issue

I know there are many topics concerning related A/C issues, and I have searched with much success, however, I still have a few questions...

I have a 1992 SVX which obviously used R12, I'll be converting to R134a, can I simply purchase an A/C compressor for a 1994 + svx from autozone (experiencies with autozone parts such as this? OEM is $500.00!!!) and I'll be set as far as converting goes? Provided I change out the o rings (have to use pag oil to lubricate right?)...and also change out the receiver/dryer with a 1994 +.

Lastly, the likely cause of my refrigerant leak is due to a gaping hole in my condensor that resulted from the tranny shop...are svx's condensor's the same regardless of year?

Thanks in advance, Chris

BTW I purchased the A/C diagnosing/repair video from autozone ($6.99), lots of very useful information and tips that I would have clearly overlooked.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:12 AM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse
Re: About to address my A/C issue

you wont need to buy a new compressor just drain the old mineral oil out as best you can and fill it with the correct amount of pag oil.

you should change the drier and both hoses, the old hoses will have absorbed the mineral oil. the new hoses have the correct fittings but you can retrofit the fittings to the new 134a style, if you choose not to get hoses. get all of the o-rings while the system is open.

I dont think they changed the condenser at all. you can double check by looking up part numbers.

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 06-17-2008, 10:10 AM

Won't the compressor still have the R12 fittings? Can I buy just the fittings and swap in the R134a fittings in place of the old R12's?
Old 06-18-2008, 02:42 AM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001 View Post
Won't the compressor still have the R12 fittings? Can I buy just the fittings and swap in the R134a fittings in place of the old R12's?
No, the R12 fittings are on the receiver drier and the low side hose. Yes, adapters are available.

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 06-18-2008, 06:28 AM

I would NOT recommend putting a tall conversion fitting on the receiver/dryer as it hits the hood when you close it.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:32 AM

Thanks guys, now of course a couple of other questions....

For the receiver/dryer can I eliminate the tall conversion fitting by simply purchasing a post 1994 svx receiver/dryer? This would have the R134a fitting already correct? I've learned that anytime I change out the compressor (which I mostly likely will have to do) you are supposed to change out the receiver/dryer, due to the likelihood of it having absorded a considerable amount of moisture. Also, are we absolutely certain that the receiver/dryer has a fitting on it, because my 1992 receiver/dryer is simply a black plastic bottle with two small rubber hoses coming out of it...there are no low and high side ports to my knowledge.

Also there are different condensors depending whether it is an R12 car or R134a. Now if I purchase a R12 condensor will this work with my existing hardware? My svx is a 1992 (R12). I am just uncertain whether having an R134a receiver/dryer, retrofitted R134a low and high side ports, will work with an R12 condensor....kinda confusing, but these parts are expensive and I don't want to be going back and forth. Thanks again, Chris
Old 06-18-2008, 11:13 AM

Ok so called liberty subaru and discussed my situation with them.

I am concerned that I have a R12 car that will be mixing R134a equipment and R12 equipment. I intend on keeping the R12 hoses and simply switching out the R12 receiver/dryer for a R134a Receiver Dryer and a R134a condensor. I'll also be switching out the service port valves (which may have already been done for me, again not sure, I took the car to midas to have it retrofitted close to 3-4 years ago).

Anyway I relayed this info to Liberty Subaru and they weren't sure, they said that I may have to completely replace the entire system (compressor, condensor, receiver/dryer, hoses (one with muffler)...now that seems crazy, I have to read any network members having to do all that! Nothing is ever easy with this car!! haha.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001 View Post
Ok so called liberty subaru and discussed my situation with them.

I am concerned that I have a R12 car that will be mixing R134a equipment and R12 equipment. I intend on keeping the R12 hoses and simply switching out the R12 receiver/dryer for a R134a Receiver Dryer and a R134a condensor. I'll also be switching out the service port valves (which may have already been done for me, again not sure, I took the car to midas to have it retrofitted close to 3-4 years ago).

Anyway I relayed this info to Liberty Subaru and they weren't sure, they said that I may have to completely replace the entire system (compressor, condensor, receiver/dryer, hoses (one with muffler)...now that seems crazy, I have to read any network members having to do all that! Nothing is ever easy with this car!! haha.
Your liberty people should be incarcerated.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:28 PM

haha, well that being said. Just got off the phone with liberty subaru...

There is a retro fit kit for $320 which includes a new receiver/dryer, suction and discharge hose (which needs to be changed apparently to mate with the new receiver/dryer fittings), o-rings, and PAG oil.

Now I may be able to circumvent all of this b/c I had Midas do a retro fit conversion a few years back, I have to take a look at what they did and look the car over, god real work gets in the way of my "fun" work all the time!

Just ordered the 1992 condensor, will see how it goes!!

Last edited by SVXMAN2001; 06-18-2008 at 01:46 PM.