Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-24-2007, 08:53 PM

Transmission Questions... Need Help

I was reading the "Tranny Issues... Please Help" thread and I am having a very similar problem with the transmission and I was wondering if I could get some expert advice from you guys.

I have a '92 SVX and it has always worked good for me. A couple of months ago it started having a shifting problem. It doesn't slip it just doesn't seem to change at the right time as far as second gear is concerned. Sometimes it will get to over 4rpms before it will change to second and sometimes it will change out of second back into first when you slow down. It seems to do this mostly when accelerating downhill when it doesn't need much power. I also must mention that it never has a sifting problem when traveling uphill. It also works perfectly in all gears if you hit the manual switch and manually change the gears. I need to mention again that the tranny does not slip, it only changes in and out of second gear at inappropriate times so I'm hoping that it is something simple. Now let me decribe the original problem which may have led up to this.

Me and my dad have installed an additional transmission filter and a cooler and have taken good care of it. A few months ago the main seal popped off the front of the transmission and fluid would pour out when it was cranked. We had the transmission taken out and the seal replaced and it has had this shifting problem since then.

On the other thread I read earlier, you guys mentioned a brake band adjustment and the range selector mechanism. My question is, would any of these adjustments affect, help, or solve the problem I am having? How would I go about checking these out and is there any type of online guide as to their adjustment?

Thanks for any help,
Johnathon
Old 12-26-2007, 03:16 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewebdevil View Post
We had the transmission taken out and the seal replaced and it has had this shifting problem since then.

Thanks for any help,
Johnathon
Surely the above indicates that the job was not done properly. Have you complained and what was the result?

The fact that the fault appears to be possibly related to throttle position warrants checking the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) as a first option. Speed and engine RPM sensors could be involved. You should run a diagnostic check. The how too section will provide information in both respects.

You refer to the manual switch. The title is confusing. Are you aware as to exactly how this works and prevents starting in second for slippery driving conditions?

First things first. Let us know how you get on. As you say, nothing indicates great expense.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 12-26-2007, 08:33 PM

Thanks for the reply.

The mechanic who worked on the tranny took it out replaced the seal and reinstalled it for less than $200 as a friend so I cant really complain much to him. He moved to a different state a few days later too...

Since my first post I watched how it behaved more closely and I can say specifically the range of 2nd gear is so small that normally it will only be in second gear from 20-23mph untill 25mph. It will change out of 2nd to 3rd almost immediately after it changes to 2nd.

I've did some playing around with the manual switch and I'm not sure of its exact purpose but I know if press the switch in and change the gear selector from 1,2,3,D it will change gears fine and stay in second ever how long I leave it there.

I ran a diagnostic check as you suggested. It doesn't turn up any existing error codes. When I did a check on PREVIOUS problems it gave me one code: 32 (vehicle speed sensor 1)

How should I proceed from here?

Thanks for the help. Its nice to find a place devoted to the SVX!!
Old 12-27-2007, 02:40 PM

Registered SVX
Are you saying that ONLY when you have the Manual button switched in/on the gears can be selected properly with the selector lever, including first (1)? Please confirm or explain in detail.

At this stage it would appear that all is OK when not under electronic control and accepting this as fact the following comment applies:-

I do not have data on the US model and there are two speed sensors, one of which is the primary sensor and I would suspect this to be numbered as No. 1. From what you report, you could very well have an intermittent speed sensor which is not registering a constant fault signal. On this basis I would replace speed sensor No. 1 as a first option.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 12-27-2007, 07:47 PM

Yes only when I have the maunual switch on can the gears be selected without problems.

I did a good bit of research yesterday and read the the how-to document on brake band adjustment. It has a chart on improper brake band clearance and their symptoms. I was amazed when it decribed my symptoms exactly at the top of the chart as it reads:

Clearance
1. Too Wide: Upshift from 1st directly to 3rd gear occurs.
2. Wide: Engine RPM increases abruptly while shifting from 1st to 2nd or 3rd to 4th. Time lag of at least one second during lockdown operation from 3rd to 2nd.

If this is indeed my problem and the clearance is too wide, which way do I turn the adjusting screw to narrow the clearance?

Also, when I found the brake band adjusting screw on the transmission I was amazed that I could turn the bolt freely with my hand! We tightened the bolt back in place being sure not to turn the adjusting screw. Would the bolt not being tightened on the adjusting screw have caused it to loosen or what damage could that have caused?
Old 12-27-2007, 09:56 PM

Registered SVX
Good one.

As you now identify the symptoms exactly and have found an existing fault you are well on track. You have not reported any slippage it is unlikely that any damage has occurred.

With the adjuster not properly locked, it would most certainly have tended to loosen and upset the adjustment. I think you have referred to the lock nut as a bolt.

Complete information regarding adjustment is in the How Too section under transmission.

Last edited by Trevor; 12-27-2007 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-30-2007, 10:07 PM

I am looking at all the documents for the brake band adjustments and it says to turn the adjustment screw counter-clockwise to increase clearance and to turn it clockwise to decrease clearance.

I guess what I was asking in the other post is which way do I turn the bolt if my clearance is too wide? I assume I would turn it clockwise but I wanted to be sure since it doesn't really clarify that.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:51 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
I am looking at all the documents for the brake band adjustments and it says to turn the adjustment screw counter-clockwise to increase clearance and to turn it clockwise to decrease clearance.

I guess what I was asking in the other post is which way do I turn the bolt if my clearance is too wide? I assume I would turn it clockwise but I wanted to be sure since it doesn't really clarify that.
A bolt and screw are a similar component and this should be turned clockwise to decrease the clearance if it is too wide.

The lock nut should then be tightened clockwise, while the bolt/screw is held so as not to move. The nut then locks the bolt/nut, so that this can not loosen and the adjustment therefore remains permanently fixed.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:26 AM

ok i will try that and let you know how it goes!
Old 12-31-2007, 01:52 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
ok i will try that and let you know how it goes!
It has now come to mind that possibly the lock nut may be missing, and this could account for the confusion regarding the adjustment procedure, as well as the adjustment screw/bolt consequently becoming loose.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:28 AM

Yes the lock nut was still there. When I was talking about being able to turn the bolt freely with my hand I had meant to say the nut. Sorry for the confusion.

I went out and turned the bolt a full revolution, testing the car after each one. After about 2 1/2 revolutions clockwise the transmission shifting is working perfectly again!

I'm thankful to have my SVX back to normal again! Thank you Trevor for all your help!
Old 01-03-2008, 05:25 PM

OK.. one more question. My shifter has starting acting up and now half the time I have to press the shift lock button to get it out of Park. What could cause that?
Old 01-03-2008, 07:53 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
OK.. one more question. My shifter has starting acting up and now half the time I have to press the shift lock button to get it out of Park. What could cause that?
Probably the selector mechanism out of adjustment probably after transmission was removed and put back..