Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-18-2007, 03:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to Scott
Car not running again...a whole new problem...

My frustration is growing. The SVX is still giving me headaches, back to back to back. I'm almost to the point that I want to try and sell it again, to somebody with more patience for it.

In THIS thread, I documented my beginning to fix the car. The fuel pump had died, and once replaced, the car drove wonderfully for about a day. Then it died again. I replaced the fuel filter and FPR since that was the next logical step. Now, the fuel isn't getting out of the tank again. I can hear the "whirrr" of the fuel pump working, but nothing is coming out.

Tossing ideas around in my head, and shooting e-mails back and forth between a few friends, and I have a couple of ideas.

When I replaced the fuel pump, I didn't drain all the old gas out of the tank. The indicator was at less than 1/4 tank. Also, I reused the old bag-style pickup from the old fuel pump. I'm assuming that perhaps the combination of old gas sitting for 4 months with a 15-year old pickup perhaps caused a clog.

I'm just trying to confirm that this is the most likely culprit. After I got it running, I filled the car up with fresh gas, so it's now sitting with a full tank, and I don't want to have to siphon and dispose of an entire tank of gas if possible. It's messy, hazardous, and an overall pain in the butt. So I guess I need some guidance before I just decide to straight up dispose of the car or part it out.

Sold: 1992 Subaru SVX LS-L - Pearl White/Black
Old 12-18-2007, 05:05 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
You should be able to remove the pump and the sock right from the top of the tank. Check the condition of the sock and see if it's clogged or not...
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 12-18-2007, 06:15 PM

Well, you have to reach down a bit to get to the hose you need to disconnect to get the whole assembly out. I'm going to give it a try, but we shall see.

Thanks!

Old 12-18-2007, 06:39 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
My frustration is growing. The SVX is still giving me headaches, back to back to back. I'm almost to the point that I want to try and sell it again, to somebody with more patience for it.

In THIS thread, I documented my beginning to fix the car. The fuel pump had died, and once replaced, the car drove wonderfully for about a day. Then it died again. I replaced the fuel filter and FPR since that was the next logical step. Now, the fuel isn't getting out of the tank again. I can hear the "whirrr" of the fuel pump working, but nothing is coming out.

Tossing ideas around in my head, and shooting e-mails back and forth between a few friends, and I have a couple of ideas.

When I replaced the fuel pump, I didn't drain all the old gas out of the tank. The indicator was at less than 1/4 tank. Also, I reused the old bag-style pickup from the old fuel pump. I'm assuming that perhaps the combination of old gas sitting for 4 months with a 15-year old pickup perhaps caused a clog.

I'm just trying to confirm that this is the most likely culprit. After I got it running, I filled the car up with fresh gas, so it's now sitting with a full tank, and I don't want to have to siphon and dispose of an entire tank of gas if possible. It's messy, hazardous, and an overall pain in the butt. So I guess I need some guidance before I just decide to straight up dispose of the car or part it out.
Manarius is right; you have to open the top of the tank and check the pump assembly.

Number 1, it may be the sock, and you need to see if it needs replacing.

Number 2, it may be something else. If the pump is pumping, and no gasoline is getting out, you have to consider that possibly there is a blockage in the line to the injectors [which you can check, by blowing through], or more likely, the pressure the new pump delivers was enough to defeat the grip of the pipe on the pump outlet. Your pump may be pumping fuel straight back into the tank, having blown the pipe off.

If this is the case, see if you need to cut 1/2" off the outlet pipe, and make a new secure connection.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 12-19-2007, 07:20 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to pick up a drum and siphon some of the tank so I can get better access to the pump assembly. It was definitely easier with only about 3 gallons in the tank, as opposed to the 17 or so in it now.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:50 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to pick up a drum and siphon some of the tank so I can get better access to the pump assembly. It was definitely easier with only about 3 gallons in the tank, as opposed to the 17 or so in it now.
I hope everything get worked out for you!

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 12-19-2007, 09:16 PM

Me too...I'll post up my findings tomorrow!

Old 12-20-2007, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
the pressure the new pump delivers was enough to defeat the grip of the pipe on the pump outlet. Your pump may be pumping fuel straight back into the tank, having blown the pipe off.
We have a winner!

When I replaced the fuel pump, I obviously forgot to put the metal clamp back on the hose, and it came right off the top of the pump assembly. Put on a new hose and clamp, secured everything down, and now my SVX runs again!

Woo! Thanks guys!

Old 12-20-2007, 02:52 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
We have a winner!

When I replaced the fuel pump, I obviously forgot to put the metal clamp back on the hose, and it came right off the top of the pump assembly. Put on a new hose and clamp, secured everything down, and now my SVX runs again!

Woo! Thanks guys!
OK, OK, what do I win, what do I win!!!

Nice one Scott, glad it was an easy inexpensive fix.

{Hey, make double-sure you seal that top plate correctly back on the tank, y'hear? You don't need fumes or leaks under the back seat.}

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 12-20-2007, 03:11 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Quote:
We have a winner!

Woo! Thanks guys!
Congratz now go drive it 300 or so miles and put a smile on your face. I know when I drive my svx I get happy lol.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 12-20-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
OK, OK, what do I win, what do I win!!!

Nice one Scott, glad it was an easy inexpensive fix.

{Hey, make double-sure you seal that top plate correctly back on the tank, y'hear? You don't need fumes or leaks under the back seat.}

Joe
Yeah, getting the whole thing back in place was a bit tricky, but it's tight as a duck's butt now.

As for your prize. You win the satisfaction of helping a less knowledgeable forum member! Hahahaha