Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 10:48 AM

I feel you dude, I am rebuilding the hell outta my Mustang engine and I hate just having stupid little things go wrong with other cars. I bet the plugs themselves are good but you might as well change them with the coils. Keep the MAF in mind too

2000 Mustang GT
NOT stock 450 rwhp
Old 11-07-2007, 11:07 AM

Send a message via MSN to Guyver280z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back IN Black View Post
I feel you dude, I am rebuilding the hell outta my Mustang engine and I hate just having stupid little things go wrong with other cars. I bet the plugs themselves are good but you might as well change them with the coils. Keep the MAF in mind too
Already changed the MAF, i got a used one out of a newer car, but it was in MINT shape, and there was no significant difference between my original and this one....

Is there a "do it yourself" way to test the coil packs???
Old 11-07-2007, 11:34 AM

Not really because they are a sealed unit. You many be able to use an OHM meter where the plug contacts and car plugs in and see how its conducting as compared to the other five. Thats the only way I can think to do that.

2000 Mustang GT
NOT stock 450 rwhp
Old 11-07-2007, 01:02 PM
OOC for a while

Send a message via AIM to 94SubieSVX
If you're getting a misfire and you know a "suspect" coil is bad then do this. Switch the "suspect" coil with another one and if the misfiring follows with it, then you have a bad coil. If it doesn't follow, you'll have to find a different "suspect" coil.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:43 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyver280z View Post
Already changed the MAF, i got a used one out of a newer car, but it was in MINT shape, and there was no significant difference between my original and this one....

Is there a "do it yourself" way to test the coil packs???
The secondary winding incorporates a diode, which means that a simple resistance test is not possible. The best you can do, is to fit the connected coil to a known good plug outside of the engine held in contact with ground, then crank the engine and check for a spark.

However on several counts testing by substitution as has been previously suggested, is the most reliable option.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 11-08-2007, 07:34 AM

This sucks!!!!..... when I try to test it the car runs fine.... last nite it ran perfect, but this morning it was really cold and the car ran like crap the whole way to work.....

If the car runs fine sometimes I asume the spark plugs are ok, but how often a coil pack starts working properly and suddenly works bad.... also.... I dont know, but if the coils werent working properly why does it run perfect when I step 50% or more on the gas??? Thats what drives me crazy... it makes no sense, I even raced a tricked out integra on the freeway and I kicked his ass really bad (it was just a perfomance test)

A friend's Jetta Turbo has two bad coils and the car runs like crap all the time, idling, half throttle, low, full, all the time.... Why mine works perfect when I step on it???

The MAF sensor makes sense, but I found it impossible that two different sensors work exactly the same way..... is there a way to test the MAF sensor??? Cuz im not going to buy a new one and find out that wasnt the problem..... Why the check engine light is not on??? I know the light bulb is ok, and the misfire is so big im sure the knock sensors should detect them....

Im sorry, Im desperated I can't think right. I just cant spend money just guessing like with the temperature sensor.... there's gotta be a way to diagnose it right and check and replace the right part
Old 11-08-2007, 07:43 AM

If there is a bad coil and you stomp on it, sometimes the miss will clear itself up. Its just one of those things

2000 Mustang GT
NOT stock 450 rwhp
Old 11-08-2007, 07:59 AM

Oh god.... $90 each coil.... Not a single one on eBay.....
Old 11-08-2007, 09:15 AM

yeah I feel ya. You may be better off to take it to a dealeship and have them trouble shoot it before you dump $$$ into it.

2000 Mustang GT
NOT stock 450 rwhp
Old 11-08-2007, 10:26 AM
OOC for a while

Send a message via AIM to 94SubieSVX
Quote:
yeah I feel ya. You may be better off to take it to a dealeship and have them trouble shoot it before you dump $$$ into it.
I think stealerships would beat around the bush jsut to make some more money
Old 11-08-2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94SubieSVX View Post
I think stealerships would beat around the bush jsut to make some more money
I know what you are getting at but its a flat rate to trouble shoot. All they can do is find out whats wrong and nothing more if you tell them to do so. It cost me $60 and I found a MAF on eBay. I had to wait a bit for one to come upon there but well worth the wait.

2000 Mustang GT
NOT stock 450 rwhp
Old 11-08-2007, 10:29 AM
Still rebuilding my block...
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to cozykat Send a message via MSN to cozykat Send a message via Yahoo to cozykat
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyver280z View Post
Its not running as rough as it was, but still from lets say 0% to 50% of the gas pedal it still misfires or something.... but deffinelty not as bad as before. So the problem just got smaller, wich is fine.... but Im very frustrated....
I know you don't think that it is the fuel pump... but if you are only slightly pressing the gas pedal and if the fuel pump is failing, it may not be pumping as much fuel as it should. So when you press the gas pedal more than halfway and the car starts running better.. maybe its a symptom of the fuel pump now sending adequate fuel pressure so the car begins to run smoother.
I know on older cars you can test the fuel pump by disconnecting the fuel line to the throttle body, putting the line in a water bottle, and pumping the pedal to observe the pressure. I'm not sure if this test would be the exact same for the svx.

Otherwise I would test the coil packs the way rbalach mentioned earlier. The coil pack is for the most part, just a wire and so maybe its corroded inside enough that it causes intermittent problems. However Trevor's knowledge supercides mine so he will certainly have a better answer than me.
You can get coil packs from www.subaruparts.com or www.rockauto.com for around $76 a piece - if that makes you feel better. Or maybe Tom (svxfiles) has a few good used ones to spare that you can get cheaper? In a time crunch, I have some new ones that I was planning on eventually putting on my car - but I'd ask for what I paid for them as i'd have to reorder from subaruparts for myself. I'm just a faster shipping solution.

just tossing out ideas..

'93 LSL Anniversary Edition - 02/93 - 150,998 Daily Driver - Forged EG33 (long block), 6MT swap, and re-upholstered interior
'92 Pearl - 100k Side restoration project
Locker | Old Locker | Shutterfly | ReadingIX | Facebook | Instagram
Old 11-08-2007, 10:38 AM

Thanks for your help

I'll check the fuel pump pressure.... I gotta buy the tool to check it thou...

The thing is that I really dont care how much the parts are. I don tcare if I have to spend 300 bucks in coils.... but I just want to make sure thats the problem and that will fix it.... I just want a good diagnose.

Dude, the last 3 times i went to the stealership i walked out pissed and angry. First.. the most of the people that works there have no idea what an SVX is.... and the ones that know the car always give me the... "oohh THAT car...." you know... like I own a cursed car or something. 3 3 Times went to get parts and 3 times they got me the wrong part even when I pointed it on they'r screen diagrams....

You think they'll run a diagnosis for 60dlls??? If they do I'll take it today. Wish me luck
Old 11-08-2007, 10:38 AM
Still rebuilding my block...
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to cozykat Send a message via MSN to cozykat Send a message via Yahoo to cozykat
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Don't they charge like $85 an hour? I'd rather just make an intelligent guess myself as to the problem and put a new part in my car.. and if I'm wrong, the part is new and I now have a spare..
Considering the likelyhood of having a knowledgable SVX mechanic at the dealership is next to nothing, I don't think my method would be much different than what they would do.. except I get the added charge of them looking at it and telling me I need to replace a certain part for them to be able to rule it out.

'93 LSL Anniversary Edition - 02/93 - 150,998 Daily Driver - Forged EG33 (long block), 6MT swap, and re-upholstered interior
'92 Pearl - 100k Side restoration project
Locker | Old Locker | Shutterfly | ReadingIX | Facebook | Instagram
Old 11-08-2007, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozykat View Post
Don't they charge like $85 an hour? I'd rather just make an intelligent guess myself as to the problem and put a new part in my car.. and if I'm wrong, the part is new and I now have a spare..
Considering the likelyhood of having a knowledgable SVX mechanic at the dealership is next to nothing, I don't think my method would be much different than what they would do.. except I get the added charge of them looking at it and telling me I need to replace a certain part for them to be able to rule it out.

But at least if you pay them to diagnose it and you replace the part and the error persist, at least you have somebody to blame..... and ask for your money back, hahaha