Old 01-23-2007, 11:09 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Admin

Hi Chris, Congrats on the Admin hat to wear. Good for you! Take care, BOBB
Old 01-25-2007, 01:34 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
One more suggestion while I'm thinking about it is we should have a place to keep updated speed records of the SVX. We'd have to e-mail a timeslip or some sort of proof to an admin or mod and they would post it up for us. We could have all different catagories for everything from drag racing to auto x and then have catagories within those catagories for manuals and autos of different gear ratios and so on and list the times submitted from fastest to slowest.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:20 PM
Founder / Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budfreak
One more suggestion while I'm thinking about it is we should have a place to keep updated speed records of the SVX. We'd have to e-mail a timeslip or some sort of proof to an admin or mod and they would post it up for us. We could have all different catagories for everything from drag racing to auto x and then have catagories within those catagories for manuals and autos of different gear ratios and so on and list the times submitted from fastest to slowest.
Once I get a qualified web developer on staff, this wont be an issue. I have in the past wanted to do some advanced stuff like this. At this point we will see if we get some additional help to fill these shoes. At the moment, Chris has been doing a great job re-painting the club house and adding the "fluff" I never got around to playing with.

ECU Tune (stage 1), PWR (prototype aluminum radiator)
Amateur Radio - General Class - K7SVX
#1 92 Teal LSl 246k (Dedicated SVX Race Car, now with 4.44 speed)
#2 92 Teal LSl 125k (Retired, car rescued from a field of weeds)
2007 Impreza 2.5i Special Edition, Obsidian Black Pearl (Daily driver)
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab, Cummins turbo diesel 4x4 (race car & RV hauler)
1985 Honda VF500 Interceptor (fair weather fun commuter)

Going on 11 years of NHRA bracket racing
NHRA Div 6 Car/Driver # T654 (site being rebuilt, new name is www.teamsvxracing.com)
2000 1st Place Club Challenge Series
2002 3rd Place Season Track Champion, Import Racing (Firebird Raceway)
2003 4th Place Season Track Champion, Import Racing (Firebird Raceway)
2003 1st Place NW Regional Import Shootout (July 5th)
2004 1st Place Club Challenge #1 (Firebird Raceway)
2004 1st Place NHRA "King of the Track" race
2004 NHRA Gold Cup 2nd place season win
2004 Import/Sport Compact 3rd place season win
2004 Division 6 Summit/ET NHRA Race of Champions finalist competitor (Mission, BC)
2007 1st Place Import Survival #3
2007 1st Place Track Champion Import Summer Jam (Wild Street Class)
2007 1st Place Import Survival #5
2008 Club season 1st place win, Club Champion
2008 2nd Place Season Import Final.
2008 Division 6 Summit/ET NHRA Import Finals (Woodburn, Or)
2009 2nd Place Import Summer Jam (Wild Street Class)
2010 1st Place Club race #2 - 1st place Sport Compact race #1 & #2
Old 01-25-2007, 04:39 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budfreak

Hey Bud, pick up the April issue of Grassroots and you'll see the fastest N/A SVX slip out there. It'll give ya something to read when RSVX sends ya to in-school-suspension!
Old 02-05-2007, 02:27 AM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Site requests/ideas

Congrats, "RSVX" Chris! Thank you for your time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
To do list notes:
Anyone else have some requests/ideas?
Since you asked, here are a few:

Make message edit box wider
There are some easy changes you can make to the vBulletin config files that will allow message edit boxes to be as wide as possible. As it is currently it's about 1/4 to 1/3 the width of the screen. Makes editing a post that contains a long URL difficult.

See the first few posts in this thread on another forum (then jump to post #20) for the fix.

[Added: I'm refering to the "advanced" editor]

Fix locker pictures filenames
There are a bunch of images in the lockers that somehow lost their .JPG extension (perhaps other extensions too). I seem to recall this happened around the time of a software or hardware change, when lockers were unavailable for awhile, but I may be remembering wrong.

When you try to view these files, the browser only wants to download the file rather than immediately viewing it (and once it's on a PC, Windows has to ask which app to use to open the file).

One caveat if you do this - you probably ought to locate posts that point to the bad filenames, and make corresponding edits in the posts.

Devise a way to post links in lockers
Earl has uploaded a few Word docs and PDFs in the How-To locker that simply serve as a way to direct people to URLs outside of this site. It would be more efficient (save a little bandwidth), if one could "upload" a link in their locker. Clicking on it would take you straight to the target URL.

Perhaps the image could be a thumbnail that the user uploads, or one of a few different canned icons (or a single, standard icon that will symbolize "external link").

Users should still be able to write their own caption, as they can now.

Use external photo storage sites
I've started migrating the photos I use in posts to ImageShack.us. Photobucket is a similar storage site. To save bandwidth (and thus monthly expenses), why not encourage other users to do this too?

Could the process be automated? The users would still upload to their lockers similar to how it happens now. Behind the scene, the server would store the file locally (to archive in case of problems), but then post to one of the image host sites and link there for display (both thumbnail and full-size). ImageShack actually offers this service, for free.

Even if you had to pay the storage site for "enhanced" service, that might work out cheaper than the extra bandwidth you'd otherwise need for this site.

Last edited by SVXdc; 02-05-2007 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Corrected ImageShack's URLs