Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under

Old 01-11-2007, 12:17 PM

Registered SVX
Impreza STI typr R swap?

Hi Guys,
I
I posted in your forum as your probably more likely to know what im on about (no offence to our US friends) but I have a JDM Alcyone.

I import cars from Japan into the UK and have had a couple of imprexa STI v5 Type R coupe's in the past. (same as the RA but a 2 door).

I have just been offered a damaged car less the engine but all running gear un damaged and complete, has anyone ever tried using the R/RA gearbox and diffs or could it work?
Ideally I would just like to use the gearbox with the adjustable torque split and standard front and rear diffs. But having the Impreza ones would not be a big problem if they would fit.

Cheers
Darren
Old 01-11-2007, 02:49 PM

Registered SVX
Darren,

They will work. The boxes have closer ratios, so you'd find yourself changing gears more often, but otherwise, they are the same as any other manual swap.

You may want to check whether the rear diff is an R180 (I think it should be) and in which case, you'll probably want to find yourself an R160 in the same ratio (should be 4.444).

There's sites that have the gearbox code, to give you an idea of the ratios...if you can't find them, I've got them and would be happy to give you some information.

Matt
Old 01-12-2007, 03:08 AM
Mr Soob

If it's for yourself, best of luck!

If you're not going to do it yourself, still grab that opportunity to get your hands on the parts, but don't ship it just yet. Someone from Aus might want that gearbox if you don't.

And Matt is right - the diff ratios might be worthwhile investigating. Otherwise you'll feel like you are stirring your cooking all day from the amount of gearchanging.
'93 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (55,000km, 1 previous owner) Not For Sale
'92 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (144,000km, 2 previous owners) Not For Sale
Wife, Red Hot when riled > Treated like a princess. Minister For Finance, Domestic Affairs and Diplomatic Relations. Definitely Not For Sale
My Wanted List: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...178#post632178
Old 01-12-2007, 05:52 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
For the stick pullers.

The wide, strong, torque curve of the engine pulls from 2500 to 6000, makes a close ratio, pointless. The 6 speed, is a matter of which of the 3 speeds you are going to use, 1,3,5, or 2,4,6.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: