Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2006, 05:13 PM

Really looks fantastic. How about posting a pic of the under hood and door jams ? I was thinking of a color change myself but was concerned about the jams, trunk area and under hood. The car truly looks sharp with the wheels.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:21 PM

I'll work on posting the jams/trunk/sunroof by the weekend. The engine area and 'under hood' I purposely had them leave stock since I too was worried and knew it would cost me a fortune to do it right. I'm planning to deal with all that myself. They offered to shoot some areas under the hood but I thought it would look lame to have some silver and some green. So I went with keeping it stock for now. Hopefully all this discussion will encourage some color changes out there.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:52 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
I think it looks awesome! Congrats.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 12-19-2006, 07:39 PM

Tom,
Related to the 5MT tranny and OBDII question, I've gotten lazy and haven't solved the check eng light. Thanks for asking. The code has to do with the TCU no longer being present. I was freaked out about smog check, but it went fine. Lucky for me the CE light doesn't come back on for a couple days until after reset The local smog test guys also didn't seem to care that it had a 5MT vs an auto. Oddly their computer had manual as a selectable option. Looks like you've pimped your ride pretty nicely. Now if I can just get the rattles out of the doors when the stereo is turned up I'll be really happy.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:43 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Doesnt look too shabby. The car wears the color well. Seems to me they did as good a job as that kind of money can get you(Short of doing it yourself, of course)
Everyone itching about the jambs...Just tell them to imagine their doorjams that color, becasue thats what it looks like. The engine bay is kindof a bummer, but a little suggestion:
If you plan on ever pulling the engine, go ahead and use something like simple green to clean off greese, then mask off whatever is eft that isnt paint. lightly sand the whole mess with say, 4 or 500 grit sandpaper, and hit it with a flat or satin black spraycan. Let the maaco guys edge in the fenders at the top and viola! You have a good looking engine bay that'll match whatever color you want on the car. The paint might chip kindof easilly, but hell, you can AWLAYS get more spraypaint
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 12-19-2006, 07:50 PM
Domo Arigato

I love the look. Nice color choice, nice rim! Definitely encouraging me to think about repaint my car. You might also wanna have new shiny headlights??

Links:
2004 Honda S2000 (2008~)
1992 Subaru SVX LSL Liquid Silver (2007~2008)
1996 SVX LSi Bordeaux Pearl (2006~)
2002 Lexus IS300 Sportcross (2005~)
1992 Subaru SVX LSL Pearl White (2001~2005)
1994 Mercury Sable GS (1999~2001)

1/43 Scale SVX Models

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-19-2006, 08:04 PM

Yeah shiny headlights are on the way. Probably going to do the replacement clear lens deal. This is a subtle cry for help if anyone has experience with these. Can't stand the idea of paying just south of 1K for new headlight assemblies. One thing I forgot to mention about the benefit of Maaco using Sherwin Williams is I can go down to Sherwin anytime and get more paint. Just give em the paint code and I'm set for touch up, etc.

Maaco did paint 'just inside' of the fender lines under the hood so that will make it easy to mask off for when I do the engine area later. Probably will go satin black. And yes, the doors and trunk look stock at this point "imagine your color there". No idea how well the paint will hold up in the hinge areas but looks good right now. They also even did the 'insides' of the folding mirror areas. That was shocking in a good way.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:18 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by subezealot
Regarding the paint quality question, its Sherwin Williams. Comes with a warranty, I have to check how long. The thing about the single stage is they say not to buff it as the buffing will get down into the metallic and darken it.
Yeah, Sherwin Williams isn't the best quality of auto paints from what I've read, of course if well cared for and applied properly that shouldn't be an issue. Yeah, you definately don't want to buff it.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:01 AM
Domo Arigato

Quote:
Originally Posted by subezealot
Yeah shiny headlights are on the way. Probably going to do the replacement clear lens deal. This is a subtle cry for help if anyone has experience with these. Can't stand the idea of paying just south of 1K for new headlight assemblies. One thing I forgot to mention about the benefit of Maaco using Sherwin Williams is I can go down to Sherwin anytime and get more paint. Just give em the paint code and I'm set for touch up, etc.

Maaco did paint 'just inside' of the fender lines under the hood so that will make it easy to mask off for when I do the engine area later. Probably will go satin black. And yes, the doors and trunk look stock at this point "imagine your color there". No idea how well the paint will hold up in the hinge areas but looks good right now. They also even did the 'insides' of the folding mirror areas. That was shocking in a good way.

I recently installed the clear lens on mine as well as HID.
Req. cutting/removing the original lens from unit.
You can kinda see how its done in the link here:
Photos

Especially you have '97 grill, it should match with those clear lens better. My waterfall grill doesn't go with the clear lens so much.

Links:
2004 Honda S2000 (2008~)
1992 Subaru SVX LSL Liquid Silver (2007~2008)
1996 SVX LSi Bordeaux Pearl (2006~)
2002 Lexus IS300 Sportcross (2005~)
1992 Subaru SVX LSL Pearl White (2001~2005)
1994 Mercury Sable GS (1999~2001)

1/43 Scale SVX Models

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-20-2006, 09:12 AM
Posting since Dec.'98

Registered SVX
Here's a thought.

Is it possible to set up a permanent thread or area on the site to post pictures of SVX's with non OEM paint?
Old 12-20-2006, 10:40 AM
Cruisin' in Gator Country
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
If you don't need a front license plate, put some black out tape on the center bar where the holder attaches to. Gives it a continuous opening look, subtle and inexpensive.
Gene
1994 SVX LSi AWD 95K - Emerald Pearl (sold)
1992 SVX LS-L AWD 115K - Dark Teal 4.44 swap (sold)
Old 12-20-2006, 09:49 PM
One teal and One yellow

Looks good.....the rims do look good with the car and its color. Congrats!

Shoot us some pics with your door jams and the interior so we can see your 5mt setup.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 12-21-2006, 02:37 AM
Happy Owner

Send a message via AIM to EdfromSF Send a message via Yahoo to EdfromSF
Registered SVX
Looks good. I was wondering if anyone has had there SVX or any of there other cars painted at Earl Scheib. Was thinking of repainting my teal in about a year or so when i got some extra cash.

Thxs

Ed

1992 Subaru SVX Touring Peacock Blue (Sold)
2002 Subaru Outback VDC Cream on Gold (Sold)
Old 12-21-2006, 03:52 AM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
I have used Earl Scheib on my past vehicles. It's a very simple paint job. No sanding, no priming, no parts are removed and it lasts for about a year before it starts peeling. You do have the option to upgrade for more money. It's the type of paint job you do on an old vehicle your'e trying to sell.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdfromSF
Looks good. I was wondering if anyone has had there SVX or any of there other cars painted at Earl Scheib?
Better yet, is anyone out there old enough to remember his TV commercials from the early 60's?

"Hi, I'm Earl Scheib, and I'll paint any car any color for only $29.95!... no ups, no extras... just $29.95"

I remember this line from a scene in The Nutty Professor, where Buddy Love told the following joke in a club:

"Your mama's so fat, when she wanted her toenails painted she went to Earl Scheib!"

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .