Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2006, 10:30 PM
pinkjeans

Send a message via ICQ to JoAnn merkur
Airconditioner HELP

So far I have had 3 men working on my aircon. They are all stumped as to what is the problem. It is working, however it cuts in and out at 1 minute intervals. Has anyone got this problem ???????? or had it.
( this has nothing to do with temp gauge)
pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee HELP it's hot here in Queensland.

JoAnn
Old 05-10-2006, 04:44 AM

Now that i think of it, I beleive ours did that as well and our techs were confused as well. The only problem they could find were some small holes in the compressor. At this point nothing has been done to the system except we put in Duracool with some leak sealent. We didn't replace the compressor (didn't have the money at the time) but i'm thinking about it now. We just removed the belt. I would LOVE to get it up and running again. But from what i remember it would go on and off all the time. Pleeese let me know if someone knows why this is happening.

Thanks
Old 05-10-2006, 10:32 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
My guess is either moisture in the system and/or an improper amount of refrigerant.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
could be a issuse with one of the sensors do the techs know how to enter the dignostic mode on the climate control system?
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 05-10-2006, 07:41 PM

Not me, still new to the car, but if i knew how i would check it out.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:03 PM
it's ruby red - not burgundy!!

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn merkur
it cuts in and out at 1 minute intervals
I am assuming that you are referring to the magnetic clutch which mechanically links the A/C compressor to the drive pulley.

According to my service manual, if the outside temperature sensor detects temperatures lower than 10 degrees centigrade, the anti-freeze protection mechanism will cycle the compressor on and off.

You should check your outside temperature sensor - does the temperature display correctly when the "OUT. TEMP" button is pressed?

Jason.

1992 Ruby Red SVX - 165,000km

....now with sequential VIN numbers!

1986 Holden (Isuzu) Piazza Turbo - 225,000km

1993 Mercedes W140 S500 Coupe - 153,000km

1990 Mercedes W124 300D - 313,000km

EG33 + 4EAT + VTD AWD = SVX
Old 05-10-2006, 09:01 PM
it's ruby red - not burgundy!!

Registered SVX
I have also found out that the output of the Evaporator Temperature Sensor can also control the compressor on-off operation.

Unfortunately, the output of that sensor cannot be read easily - unless you have a Subaru Select Monitor!

The other device that could affect the compressor is the Trinary Switch, located on the left-hand side of the condenser. This switch automatically stops the compressor from running if there is too much, or too little refrigerant in the system.

Jason.

1992 Ruby Red SVX - 165,000km

....now with sequential VIN numbers!

1986 Holden (Isuzu) Piazza Turbo - 225,000km

1993 Mercedes W140 S500 Coupe - 153,000km

1990 Mercedes W124 300D - 313,000km

EG33 + 4EAT + VTD AWD = SVX

Last edited by JDW-SVX; 05-11-2006 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Correction to location of Trinary Switch
Old 05-11-2006, 12:03 AM
pinkjeans

Send a message via ICQ to JoAnn merkur
Thanks for the imput everybody , I will pass all of it onto the aircon man.
JoAnn
Old 05-16-2006, 05:26 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Air con trouble codes.

Hi JoAnn,

I think it would be best for you to pull the trouble codes, from the air con computer, and tell us what the code number is. We then may be able to go further with finding the fault.
The process for posting the codes were in the set of sheets that I sent you. If you have given them to the air con guys, you can see them again here.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?oab_au|35851
Just follow the sheets to have the code number displayed on the temp dial.

Also you say that "it cuts in and out at 1 minute intervals", What is it that cuts in and out, Is it the air con clutch, the cold air, or the fans

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:04 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au
Hi JoAnn,

I think it would be best for you to pull the trouble codes, from the air con computer, and tell us what the code number is. We then may be able to go further with finding the fault.
The process for posting the codes were in the set of sheets that I sent you. If you have given them to the air con guys, you can see them again here.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?oab_au|35851
Just follow the sheets to have the code number displayed on the temp dial.

Also you say that "it cuts in and out at 1 minute intervals", What is it that cuts in and out, Is it the air con clutch, the cold air, or the fans

Harvey.
I agree with Harvey. It would appear that the one minute interval reflects the upper and lower set points and a sensor fault is indicated.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 05-17-2006, 09:33 PM
aircontech

Air con

Thankyou for all those who have been helping Joann. I am one of the People who have been working on it and this is what I have found to date...... Have followed procedure for fault codes and no code was recorded, Have checked all gas levels and Pressures and all are fine have even disconected trinary switch and bypass switch and still the same. Of the 3 people that have worked on it ....The electrician seems to think there is a problem inside but did not go into detail as I dont think he knew exactly what it was but he did check out all fan and a/c wiring, myself thinks the compressor is faulty as in internal overheating, and the other tech thinks it is a control panel. The biggest problem we have is limited parts and can be expensive for new parts. The svx is not that common either which makes it a bit harder I think the last one I saw was about 3 years ago........... One of the most common things over looked with cars that are getting older is cost, Eg. 89 EA Falcon can be bought for $500 to $2000 cost to repair A/C is Compressor $1200 Evap $740 Cond $500 TX $250 the list goes on (these prices are labor gas part etc) The other problem we have is what you fix today say Condensor,Then Evaporater or Compressor is not far behind from failing as well. Some Compressor's Eg. 05 MG can cost $5000. I havent rang Zupps yet to see what a SVX Compressor would cost but I would hate to think. As far as second hand, I have seen a customer take a compressor back 5 times to the wreckers and sure they will happily give you another but they do not pay for labor and gas.
He had to wear that 5 times until it was right. (and no you cant see how good they are just by looking at them, they must be connected and running just to see if they pump or are niosy).

So where does this leave Joann ... If anybody has a control panel to lend her that would be great, This would eliminate that one. But we do thankyou all for your input any other info would be good.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:07 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircontech
Thankyou for all those who have been helping Joann. I am one of the People who have been working on it and this is what I have found to date...... Have followed procedure for fault codes and no code was recorded, Have checked all gas levels and Pressures and all are fine have even disconected trinary switch and bypass switch and still the same. Of the 3 people that have worked on it ....The electrician seems to think there is a problem inside but did not go into detail as I dont think he knew exactly what it was but he did check out all fan and a/c wiring, myself thinks the compressor is faulty as in internal overheating, and the other tech thinks it is a control panel. The biggest problem we have is limited parts and can be expensive for new parts. The svx is not that common either which makes it a bit harder I think the last one I saw was about 3 years ago........... One of the most common things over looked with cars that are getting older is cost, Eg. 89 EA Falcon can be bought for $500 to $2000 cost to repair A/C is Compressor $1200 Evap $740 Cond $500 TX $250 the list goes on (these prices are labor gas part etc) The other problem we have is what you fix today say Condensor,Then Evaporater or Compressor is not far behind from failing as well. Some Compressor's Eg. 05 MG can cost $5000. I havent rang Zupps yet to see what a SVX Compressor would cost but I would hate to think. As far as second hand, I have seen a customer take a compressor back 5 times to the wreckers and sure they will happily give you another but they do not pay for labor and gas.
He had to wear that 5 times until it was right. (and no you cant see how good they are just by looking at them, they must be connected and running just to see if they pump or are niosy).

So where does this leave Joann ... If anybody has a control panel to lend her that would be great, This would eliminate that one. But we do thankyou all for your input any other info would be good.
You have not answered Harvey's very sensible and important question :-

Also you say that "it cuts in and out at 1 minute intervals", What is it that cuts in and out, Is it the air con clutch, the cold air, or the fans.

I have an idea but can not proceed without an exact answer to this query. Also of special interest :- Is the interval of one minute precisely regular ?

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 05-18-2006, 04:28 PM
aircontech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
You have not answered Harvey's very sensible and important question :-

Also you say that "it cuts in and out at 1 minute intervals", What is it that cuts in and out, Is it the air con clutch, the cold air, or the fans.

I have an idea but can not proceed without an exact answer to this query. Also of special interest :- Is the interval of one minute precisely regular ?
All three at once, clutch is the aircon,which means when the clutch is off the cold air stops and when clutch turns off so does fans this is normal on all cars.

The 1 minute is not precisely regular, I have seen it go longer..

I also said before that using Harvey documents for finding codes did not output a code after doing this test....

Last edited by aircontech; 05-18-2006 at 04:32 PM.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:59 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Aircontech. welcome to the site.

Gid'ay mate,

thanks for registering here and helping JoAnn with her problems, as she is not fluent in "auto speak'.
With no codes posted, we can at least rule out a lot of things that the computer would know. So the problem is that the compressor clutch is releasing to turn the compressor on and off. There is a bit of interaction between the engine computer and the Air con unit.
Normally the compressors out put is controlled by the wobble plate angle, but the engine computer will turn the whole thing off for a few reasons. I'll have a look see what I can find.
As far as swapping parts go, the US version is not the same as the Aussie and Jap one, but I seem to remember there is a member in Brisbane that had a 'front cut' I'll see if I can find out who.

Thanks again for your help.
Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:32 PM
aircontech

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au
Gid'ay mate,

thanks for registering here and helping JoAnn with her problems, as she is not fluent in "auto speak'.
With no codes posted, we can at least rule out a lot of things that the computer would know. So the problem is that the compressor clutch is releasing to turn the compressor on and off. There is a bit of interaction between the engine computer and the Air con unit.
Normally the compressors out put is controlled by the wobble plate angle, but the engine computer will turn the whole thing off for a few reasons. I'll have a look see what I can find.
As far as swapping parts go, the US version is not the same as the Aussie and Jap one, but I seem to remember there is a member in Brisbane that had a 'front cut' I'll see if I can find out who.

Thanks again for your help.
Harvey.
Hi harvey
Mate I could be wrong but I think the Compressor has a Thermal fuse not a Slip Sensor on it..we tried bypassing it but did not do anything, this also had the Electrician stumped. .... Slip sensor is a device that matches compressor speed with engine speed. It's located on the back of compressor. The slip sensor does use that wobble plate to get its signal.

But having said that slip sensor do go off in a couple of minutes where as a Thermal fuse can take up to 30 minutes.

Looking at wiring diagram 6-3 from you, they call it a solenoid actuator??