Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2005, 05:39 PM
Mr Soob

Aussie modded cars.

Should the current aquisition go ahead, I will have 2 SVX's to play with, and I'm thinking of a few mods.

Anyone here done anything to their SVX's? In particular, I want to know what you did, and how it went. Brakes, Suspension, Gearbox, you name it. I'm interested from our Aussie point of view (which it why it is in here and not Mod Mania). Also let me know how much it cost you and your critique on the aquisition, installation, adjustment, etc.

I know a few people have done brake disc changes and so on - how did they go? Are they new dimensions? Or do they use the standard SVX pads?

(Harvey: can you shoot me a pm or something with your email address? I might really need some very complicated help with a couple of things. Alternatively, email me at rvbdoc atsymbol gmail dotsymbol com)
'93 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (55,000km, 1 previous owner) Not For Sale
'92 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (144,000km, 2 previous owners) Not For Sale
Wife, Red Hot when riled > Treated like a princess. Minister For Finance, Domestic Affairs and Diplomatic Relations. Definitely Not For Sale
My Wanted List: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...178#post632178
Old 11-06-2005, 02:01 AM

McTaff,
I have a simular problem we have 2 SVX mine with 300,000K hard miles and the wifes 100,000K. In a container coming from the USA next month is a 5 speed and the SuperCharger. My problem is were I put the parts. One thing for sure is I am not brave enough to touch the wifes car. I think I will have to buy a second SVX for me. I brough a spare engine etc to build up the engine for the super charger. Also I am getting lift springs for mine to raise it 2 inches and with the different tyres I am already 1 in higher then normal. Harvey suggest that I match the super charge with the auto as it will handle the power better and on reflection that is what I will do. Want to shave the heads on one motor as well. Should be interesting.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:15 PM
it's ruby red - not burgundy!!

Registered SVX
As far as I am concerned, there should be two mandatory modifications for any SVX - the transmission and the brakes!

Specifically, the addition of an ATF cooler, and the fitment of non-OEM brake discs and pads.

For example, I have fitted DBA front brake discs, and I have also fitted Bendix Heavy-Duty Semi-Metallic brake pads.

The benefit of this is that I have not experienced warped discs or brake fade (even after several hard stops , the pads are very hard-wearing, and very little brake dust is produced.

The downside - the brakes are a bit noisy when applied gently.

Apart from that - my SVX is completely stock standard!

...................and I intend to keep it that way!

Jason.

1992 Ruby Red SVX - 165,000km

....now with sequential VIN numbers!

1986 Holden (Isuzu) Piazza Turbo - 225,000km

1993 Mercedes W140 S500 Coupe - 153,000km

1990 Mercedes W124 300D - 313,000km

EG33 + 4EAT + VTD AWD = SVX

Last edited by JDW-SVX; 11-06-2005 at 04:24 PM.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:19 AM
Mr Soob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDW-SVX
For example, I have fitted DBA front brake discs, and I have also fitted Bendix Heavy-Duty Semi-Metallic brake pads.
The pads: standard size for the SVX, or different?
'93 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (55,000km, 1 previous owner) Not For Sale
'92 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (144,000km, 2 previous owners) Not For Sale
Wife, Red Hot when riled > Treated like a princess. Minister For Finance, Domestic Affairs and Diplomatic Relations. Definitely Not For Sale
Old 11-07-2005, 12:31 AM
it's ruby red - not burgundy!!

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by McTaff
The pads: standard size for the SVX, or different?
They appear to be the same size - they are a direct replacement for the OEM pads.

Jason.

1992 Ruby Red SVX - 165,000km

....now with sequential VIN numbers!

1986 Holden (Isuzu) Piazza Turbo - 225,000km

1993 Mercedes W140 S500 Coupe - 153,000km

1990 Mercedes W124 300D - 313,000km

EG33 + 4EAT + VTD AWD = SVX
Old 11-08-2005, 04:44 PM
MisanthropyV

Well...The K&N filter change is a dead giveaway. That should be done. Cost's between $95 and $115, depending on where you buy it.

Don't use the ECUtune Stage 1 ROM on our ECUs. If you want the ROM, then also grab a USDM ECU.

I did a dual exhaust system. It cost $480 + exhaust tips. I SHOULD have got a mandrel bent system, but didn't really care at the time. You can buy a dual exhaust system off me if you want... Kidding, wouldn't screw you over... It's a good mod, but if you're going to do it, go for a Dual 2 or Dual 2 1/4 inch MANDREL BENT system with high flow cats and mufflers. Having some proper extractors fabricated wouldn't be such a bad thing either in my opinion...

That's all the mods I've done...
Old 12-03-2005, 06:10 PM
Sixpack Subaru

Talking Hello people, I have 15 years on Subaru in Australia as a tech..

Hey EVRY1, (I didn't know that this place existed or I would have shown up sooner!!LOL!
I have done a 'bit' of work with the Old Girl, (SVX). I have put a Six speed manual in one. I have fitted/fabricated intakes and exhausts.
Underdriven lightweight pullies help alot, (as does the K+N). Free up the exhaust...I can't say that enough! Esp on SVX's, they are muffled to death.
DBS Kangaroo Paw discs, 'Golds' are good, and Bendix ultimate pads, (discs are cross drilled and slotted), bit noisey, more 'graunch' under foot, but the hotter they get, the harder they stop. No good for your grandma, but perfect for 19-2200KG's of auto vehicle!!!!
Done a 'couple' of rebuilds, but all stock unfortunately. Still waiting for the 'Twin turbo' conversion phone call.......

Cheers

Sixpack Subaru
Old 12-03-2005, 11:16 PM
Endangered Species

Send a message via MSN to -JJ-
hi and welcome , awsome to hear about a six speed in australia, next time im in melboure i want a ride!!!!

removed intake silencer, k&N pannel filter, trans cooler, 94 JDM 4eat, Noltec front swaybar mounts, Motorsport D&S disks with EBC Greenstuff pads
Old 12-04-2005, 02:11 AM
Mr Soob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixpack Subaru
Hey EVRY1, (I didn't know that this place existed or I would have shown up sooner!!LOL!
I have done a 'bit' of work with the Old Girl, (SVX). I have put a Six speed manual in one. I have fitted/fabricated intakes and exhausts.
Underdriven lightweight pullies help alot, (as does the K+N). Free up the exhaust...I can't say that enough! Esp on SVX's, they are muffled to death.
DBS Kangaroo Paw discs, 'Golds' are good, and Bendix ultimate pads, (discs are cross drilled and slotted), bit noisey, more 'graunch' under foot, but the hotter they get, the harder they stop. No good for your grandma, but perfect for 19-2200KG's of auto vehicle!!!!
Done a 'couple' of rebuilds, but all stock unfortunately. Still waiting for the 'Twin turbo' conversion phone call.......

Cheers

Sixpack Subaru
Okay, I'm very interested in the six speed conversion - cost, how you mounted the tranny, etc.

Did you throw money at someone to do it, or did you do it yourself?
Old 12-04-2005, 04:47 PM
Endangered Species

also how much does the six spd cost?

removed intake silencer, k&N pannel filter, trans cooler, 94 JDM 4eat, Noltec front swaybar mounts, Motorsport D&S disks with EBC Greenstuff pads
Old 12-10-2005, 03:34 AM
Sixpack Subaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JJ-
also how much does the six spd cost?
Depends on what you want one from, whetther you want a variable centre diff 5 or 6 speed, what diffs you want, I recommend going LSD both ends of course Custom Tail and CV shafts are required but in most cases I can source a shaft that will 'fit' and have it 'resplined to suit the OEM outer CV's, negating the need to replace/modify stubs/hubs or bearings!
The crossmember on the one I did was welded into place while the tailshaft was in place and I worked out my angles for the 2 pice shaft and where the hanger/bearing would be etc., (may I add that this small 'cross member' in the floor helped rigidity alot! ). The next drama was deleting the nuetral start switch from the ign/starter circuit. After that it's just a matter of making a 'neat' hole for the shifter and getting the reverse lights etc working. Then its off to the upholsterer for a neaten up of the gearshift boot, console etc. You will find that the shifter is awful close to the dash when you start out so some inventive 'trimwork' is required but not essential.
You will also have some Eng managament issues with speed sensors etc....
I know this goes against the grain of that's good, Holy and equipped with 3/4 windows, (SVX), but the easiest way to get one up and running hard with minimal headaches/cost is to go with the STi driveline complete.(Still needs custom shafts). The flywheel and clutch I used were supplied by the client, (not brand new looking either!). It all went together quite nicely, I didn't haver to get the ECU/TCM issues sorted as it was off to the 'Tuners?' to get this done...before going to the panel shop for some pearl-something? paint...
PHEW!! My fingers hurt....
But much
Old 12-10-2005, 03:45 AM
Sixpack Subaru

Thanks for the greetin's ppl
I see you guys are having the dreaded crappy brake issues as usual!!
I have found that a set of 'DBA Gold' discs, (Cross drilled and slotted), fitted front and rear with Bendix 'Ultimate' pads works extremely well. The hotter they get, the better they work!, (and lets face it, the SVX ain't light and don't take long to heat things up! )
There is a little more noise, (occasional cold squeal, and some pedal 'graunch'), but they just feel great underfoot and whe you use a decent Brake Fluid, (at least Dot 4!! ), like castrol SRF or simillar, you can see some outstanding results from the STD calipers. I can highly recommend this option, it's not cheap, but it's cheaper than full custom AP's or Harrop's. I drove one through the black spur, (auto in 'D' all the way), and had no pedal fade issues whatsoever!!
Got all my stuff 'Trade' through ABS.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:37 PM

Send a message via ICQ to berger
wow, another victorian member , if ya ever feel like a meet, leave a message, thats 3 cars(including mine) that we can get together, would be fun
Old 12-11-2005, 03:43 AM
Endangered Species

Its so awsome to have someone with experience in svx running gear conversions, hope you stick around for many years to come 6pack, when im out of uni i have serious plans for my baby svx (only next year too finish and im done!!!!)

Old 12-11-2005, 04:43 AM
Sixpack Subaru

Talking

Hey Hey...Sorry to dissapoint...I drive a 'lightly modded' 95 WRX Wagon.
I have spent a LOOONG time working with Subaru and the SVX was the 'ducks-Guts' when I was a bit greener. I liked them, and spent alot of time doing the things the other techs would fight with each other to avoid!! Like the blessed cambelt on them, which I actually think is easier than EJ20, the EG33 is a beautiful thing. the New series 3.0L, aside from the 30R, are all single chain drive quad cams, one chain drives the WHOLE LOT!!
The SVX is classic for it's era with belt one belt driven cam per head, gear driving the other cam, ..simplified mechanics. The scissor drive system the gears employ has been around for years and is also very practical and quiet, although I have replaced one of these springs, (comes as an assembly under warranty ), failed, the result is alot of 'valve-train clatter/noise' but it will run fine anyway.
Cheers
Sixpack Subaru