Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2005, 11:01 AM
Its a Classic!

Tick Tick Tick.....OMFG

I just bought my svx a couple weeks ago. I never heard the noise while test driving it or looking in the engine but in the past week ive heard a ticking coming from the engine. It varies with engine speed, not road speed, and doesnt go away after warming up. I thought it was a sticky lifter so i changed the oil and added a 1/2 qt of MMO. The car was driven less than a mile but has idled for about 5 minutes since then and the ticking has not gone away. Do I have a cracked flex plate? How long does it usually take for MMO to free the lifter if it ever does?

Sorry about the long post

The noise seems to be louder under the car but when I open the hood I could also swear its coming from the top of the engine! Im freaking out!!!!
Old 07-26-2005, 11:44 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Have you used the mechanic's stethoscope (long screwdriver) to narrow down the source of the noise?

Sounds like the flexplate though.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:50 PM
Its a Classic!

would there be any other odd effects of a cracked flexplate besides the noise, because I dont notice any other problems?
Old 07-26-2005, 01:10 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I would only assume if it cracks all the way around your engine won't be able to turn the transmission.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:32 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Sorry Guys, i am again the stupid Lebanese guy who doesn't speak english well or know the engine parts names... what do we call those things which activate the valves of the engine? they are located in the upper part of the engine... Cams? or below the cams? I bet they are not getting filled properly with oil and they are making the Tick Tick Tick sound...
sorry for the way i put it...

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:34 PM
Meow!

Danny, those are the lifters. He's already added some stuff to quiet the lifters. Normally that ticking noise slowly goes away.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:02 PM
Its a Classic!

Is it possible that I havent driven it enough to quiet the lifters? Ill have to wait until I insure the car again to do any more driving to see though. Im just throwing out suggestions because i dont really wanna drop the transmission. Could driving around hurt the transmission or engine in any way it the flexplate is cracked?

Thanks
Old 07-26-2005, 03:03 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
the only bad thing you can do to it by driving is maybe make the crack worse. If you do find that it is the flexplate, I got a new one for ya. Anyway, give the marvels some time to work it's magic. There is another method but it is not accepted by many as a good standard practice but seems to work very well. Send me a pm for more info.

Tom

PS where is Califon NJ?? I am on Long Beach Island
Old 07-26-2005, 03:13 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomssvx
the only bad thing you can do to it by driving is maybe make the crack worse. If you do find that it is the flexplate, I got a new one for ya. Anyway, give the marvels some time to work it's magic. There is another method but it is not accepted by many as a good standard practice but seems to work very well. Send me a pm for more info.

Tom

PS where is Califon NJ?? I am on Long Beach Island
Califon is right inbetween the middle of nowhere and east bumblefluck

It's also right around the corner from me

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 07-26-2005, 03:21 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
cool, gotta love the crotch of America!!

Tom
Old 07-26-2005, 04:52 PM
Its a Classic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurgundyBeast
Califon is right inbetween the middle of nowhere and east bumblefluck

It's also right around the corner from me
Dont be offended by this but people in Clinton get a bad reputation around us as being full of themselves. Then again people from Califon are said to be inbred. Thankfully only my mailing adress is califon, I live in lebanon twp.

Im not saying i agree with the stereotypes
Old 07-26-2005, 05:42 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman050
Dont be offended by this but people in Clinton get a bad reputation around us as being full of themselves. Then again people from Califon are said to be inbred. Thankfully only my mailing adress is califon, I live in lebanon twp.

Im not saying i agree with the stereotypes

Although my mailing address is Clinton, I actually spend most of the day with my head in the clouds...

and I'm actually living in Lawrenceville, so there

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 07-26-2005, 07:02 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
MMO might not be enough - I had a tick that it wouldn't clear up that did clear up with a treatment of engine oil cleaner.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:59 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
What weight oil are you using? I found changing from 10w-30 to 10W-40 cleared up my ticking. Someone yell at me if that is a no-no!

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 07-26-2005, 08:30 PM
Its a Classic!

Im using 10w-30 Mobil 1