IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 04:39 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
2 Questions with dashboard cluster

This weekend I had to roll my odometer forward to the correct mileage after receiving a used one with lesser mileage and I have a few questions:
1)
I made note of the starting position that the tachometer needle is in...(note it isn't at "0" where the needle rests.....actually since it's spring loaded, if you lift the needle up over the rest post, it'll spring vertically down at the 6 o'clock position when the spring is at rest.........I didn't make note of the speedometer needle when I did this though...I made sure I placed the needle at the 6 o'clock position when I started to match the tach.......Can anyone tell me if I'm correct in doing this?? I'm concerned if setting it wrong with affect the speed readings I get when driving.

2)
In attempting to simply turn off my airbag dash indicator light, all I did was remove the rightmost bulb behind the dash cluster on the backside....(facing the back of the cluster with the bulbs, it's the lowest left lightbulb) Thinking removing this would turn the light illumination off, it did not work! The word air bag is still illuminated!...Is that weird or what? Did I remove the wrong bulb?? I believe my fuse is removed from the airbag slot also. Can anyone tell me if there is some kind of safety light inside of the dash cluster that I'm not seeing??

Thanks, Hope someone has some good answers
Old 07-18-2005, 05:38 AM

Airbag bulbs

You pulled the wrong bulb; you disabled the ABS light.
The airbag bulb(s) - there are two - are not accesible from the rear of the gauge panel. You have to disassemble the cluster and pull back the silk screend black warning light overlay. Just to the right of the bulb that you pulled (when facing the gauges) are two small bulbs that can be removed by pulling perpendicular to the gauge faces (see the attached picture).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dash bulbs small.jpg (42.7 KB, 133 views)
Old 07-18-2005, 07:23 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
1. Yes that the way I'd do it. I've done it that way in the past. Then I go for a drive with a few GPSes and set the car on cruise at 45, 60, and 75 and make sure that it is going at the right speeds.

2. If the light is still lit, you got the wrong bulb. The light is in the cluster. Take a touche (flash light) and shine light from the back with the bulb out. See which is the right one.

Keep in mind that airbag light is lit because something is wrong with your SRS. You might want to look into that first. It's the safety issue.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 07-18-2005, 07:43 AM
It's just a phase

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsodonis
The airbag bulb(s) - there are two - are not accesible from the rear of the gauge panel. You have to disassemble the cluster and pull back the silk screend black warning light overlay. Just to the right of the bulb that you pulled (when facing the gauges) are two small bulbs that can be removed by pulling perpendicular to the gauge faces (see the attached picture).

That makes perfect sense...thank you so much!....Now I have to take the dash out again and put the ABS bulb back in!.......ARGHHHH.....I had the whole assembly out too at that point and exposed just like the picture...why didn't I think of removing the indicator strip to see the bulbs
Old 07-18-2005, 07:46 AM
It's just a phase

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraph
1. Yes that the way I'd do it. I've done it that way in the past. Then I go for a drive with a few GPSes and set the car on cruise at 45, 60, and 75 and make sure that it is going at the right speeds.

2. If the light is still lit, you got the wrong bulb. The light is in the cluster. Take a touche (flash light) and shine light from the back with the bulb out. See which is the right one.

Keep in mind that airbag light is lit because something is wrong with your SRS. You might want to look into that first. It's the safety issue.
I took the car to Subaru awhile back and they said I have a bad circuit somewhere....probably near the fusebox...but they didn't pinpoint the problem after 300$ of diagnostics.......they told me it could take another 2-3 hours to find the problem, so...I realize my SRS is ineffective, but I just want the indicator to be off until I have enough money to fix the problem. It could be awhile.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:26 AM
It's just a phase

Registered SVX
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsodonis
Hey, I took it apart again yesterday....and it was the Fuel light bulb that I removed. I saw the Airbag bulb(s) and they are shown just like you have in an interesting design....constructed with little rubber blocks that the bulb is attached to.....Well I removed both of them and no more light illumination.....that's exactly what I wanted..........Thanks again for your help!
Old 07-19-2005, 10:18 AM

No problem - that's why we're here, to help one another keep these great cars on the road.