How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-11-2001, 08:48 AM
mangodreams

Climate Control Out

Hello. I have a '94 LE with 93K miles. I had a problem this summer with overheating earlier this fall when my radiator hose failed. That has since been replaced and the overheating has been corrected. However, now the entire climate control system does not work. No lights appear, no clock, no reaction to any button pushing. I checked the fuses and they appear to be ok. Has anyone had this problem and corrected it? Any other suggestions would be greatly welcomed. Thanks! <mango>
Old 12-11-2001, 10:18 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Climate Control Out

Quote:
Originally posted by mangodreams
Hello. I have a '94 LE with 93K miles. I had a problem this summer with overheating earlier this fall when my radiator hose failed. That has since been replaced and the overheating has been corrected. However, now the entire climate control system does not work. No lights appear, no clock, no reaction to any button pushing. I checked the fuses and they appear to be ok. Has anyone had this problem and corrected it? Any other suggestions would be greatly welcomed. Thanks! <mango>
Mango, a couple of things could cause this. Your cig lighter shorting out or, possibly your visor mirror light shorting out. I know there's a simple fix, and I've been searching to find it. Do you have brake lights? Check fuse #3 to the cig lighter (et. al), I'll keep looking for the thread that I remember solved this problem. I had the problem some time back and found that my cig lighter was causing the system to short out and blew the fuse. I turned off the car, pried the tabs in the cig lighter to hold the lighter more securely (I used my ignition key) -- problem solved. Let me know if this solves the problem. Meanwhile, I'll continue to search.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 12-11-2001, 02:43 PM
craigk

reset

I found mine wasn't working this summer. I thought it had gone bad. I went to the dealer and asked to read their manual so I could do some diagnostics. It turns out that the climate control system has it's own ECM and once in a while it looses it's mind. There is a reset proceedure where you hold one of the keys down while cycling the ignition I think. I copied the pages and have them at home. If it turns out not to be a simple fuse or something, email me and I'll try and find the copies I made. I'm on vacation after Sat though.
Old 01-06-2002, 07:40 PM
mangodreams

Question Need more help on my climate control

Hello.
I tried Aredubjay's advice and...it worked! My clock worked again and the climate contol lit up. I warmed up the car for 10 minutes and then turned on the heat. Everything worked fine & when I closed the hood of my car I heard the engine revs slow down radically and lo and behold the panel and clock were dark again. The #3 fuse had blown out again. (cigarette lighter mirror). I replaced the fuse and repeated the procedure Ardub suggested. I could see the panel light up and go dark immediately when I turned on the car. I tried a few more times, but each try had the same outcome.

CraigK had mentioned resetting the ECM for the climate control. Craig or anyone...please send some advice or suggestions. Thanks! <mango>
Old 01-06-2002, 11:58 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Mango, did you check the wiring in the driver's mirror. Pop the plastic cover off the "elbow" on the driver's sun visor. You'll see the wires running through it. Sometimes they break and short out. Use a small flat bladed screwdriver to pry the wires a little to see if they're broken and separated -- causing a short. If so, just tape the separate wires to keep them from touching. Then, replace the fuse and see if it blows again.
Subaru Ambassador

Last edited by Aredubjay; 01-07-2002 at 12:01 AM.
Old 01-11-2002, 07:18 AM
mangodreams

Talking Climate Control Good News!

Ardub, I owe you a beer if you are ever in town old friend!
I followed your advice and you hit the nail right on the head!
Everything is working fine now.
Many thanks!
Old 01-11-2002, 08:56 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Climate Control Good News!

Quote:
Originally posted by mangodreams
Ardub, I owe you a beer if you are ever in town old friend!
I followed your advice and you hit the nail right on the head!
Everything is working fine now.
Many thanks!
My pleasure, Mango! After all, it was you who helped get me into this obsession. [SIDEBAR: when first considering purchasing my SVX in Aug. 99, I "IM'd" a couple of people who were online at the Yahoo club to ask their advice (I was too shy at the time to post on the club). Mango was one of them. He was very kind and straightforward about the problems and the pleasures. He is one of the reasons I'm an SVXer today, and I'm forever in his debt -- and the bank's -- and the tranny shop -- and subaruparts.com -- and . . .] It's the least I could do. Try to make it to Reading III and I'll take you up on that beer.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 01-14-2002, 09:10 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Talking Re: Re: Climate Control Good News!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Aredubjay
[B]

My pleasure, Mango! After all, it was you who helped get me into this obsession. [SIDEBAR: when first considering purchasing my SVX in Aug. 99, I "IM'd" a couple of people who were online at the Yahoo club to ask their advice (I was too shy at the time to post on the club).

TOO SHY TO POST???? HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa!!!!
So.... it's ALL Mango's fault.

I also had a mentor - Joeaux. I wonder if he remembers his input.
Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 06-26-2002, 01:18 PM
bmicro

climate control out

I am experiencing the same problem with my 92. Can you tell me about the reset procedure for the ECM on the climate control?
ps this is my first attempt at posting a comment here!
Old 06-26-2002, 01:45 PM
Boone

First, welcome to the forum. You are actually posting to a thread that is 5 months old. You would have better luck starting a thread of your own detailing the problem.

This is the climate control diagnostic and reset procedure.

With the ignition off, you press and hold the off and auto button
down and turn ignition on, it starts the program. It tests all of the
sensors, fans, heater, A/C and whatever else is involved and then it will give a number in the display.

11/21 = In-vehicle sensor.........open/shorted

12/22 = Ambient sensor............open/shorted

13/23 = Sunload sensor............open/shorted

14/24 = Evaporator sensor.........open/shorted

15/25 = Refrigerant temp sensor...open/shorted

16/26 = Water temp sensor.........open/shorted

31 = Air mix door (PBR)........faulty

32 = Mode door (PBR)...........faulty

33 = Mix door motor............faulty engine

34 = Mode door motor...........faulty engine

35 = Intake door motor.........faulty engine

NOTICE: Anytime codes 13, 33, 34 or 35 are displayed, the condition is one which is currently occurring. Also note that '13' is judged as 'open' not as 'shorted' (23) if there is no light directed at the sensor during the test cycle.

Resetting the climate control unit is done
similarly by holding down the "off" and "Def" buttons while turning the ignition on.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:09 PM
0h n0es!

Send a message via ICQ to IggDawg Send a message via AIM to IggDawg
I'd like to note that I was having the same exact problem. Climate control and clock all the sudden blinked out for no reason whatsoever that I could tell, and would blow the fuse the moment I put it in. It turned out to be the vanity mirror. a quick snippy-tapey and everything worked perfectly again. thought I'd post for anyone else searching for this problem.

-IggDawg

1992 Teal SVX LS-L 160k miles
4.11:1 final drive, K&B dropsprings, ART front rotors, stainless steel brake, aluminum underdrive crank pulley, Kuhmo Ecsta Supra 712's, K&N drop-in filter. Previously owned by Alacrity024. FOR SALE

1994 SVX LSi, Barcelona Red #1659, build date 11/93, 117k miles, RIP
ECUtune stage 1, bead crush, smallcar shift kit, TB bypass, SS brake lines, silencer removed, alternator and grounding wires, Mobil1 @ 117k