Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2004, 07:33 AM

Send a message via ICQ to berger
looking at a svx in brissy

Hey guys, first post!!
here is the story...

was walking home from work(yarram, south gippsland) and notice a coupe on the other side of the road, and thought "might have a look on the way back) an hour later, went back to wqork and the car was gone, and i got kinda pissed off... not knowing the mystery car...

Anyways, after work i walk home and as i enter the front door of work, it was parked there, right there! so i finally had a look at it, found out what it was... then went home and done my research...
anyways, iv allready decided to buy one, found this one in brisbane...
(edit: link did not work, but its for sale on the carsales website www.carsales.com.au its a 3tone 1993 model...)sorry

if anyone knows of this, or seen it/inspected it, etc.. could you help me...

im planning a trip to brisbane in a week or so... maybe if i could get an SVX owner to come inspect it with me, that would be so great...

i rang up & the transmission has been fixed(the heating issue iv read about i think... )
but the milage is pretty high, is that ok?
how much should i pay for it also?

any help would be so awesome
regards, Rob

Last edited by berger; 10-04-2004 at 07:36 AM.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:16 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Hi there

If you can get the VIN, then that has (in the past with situations such as yours) led to a wealth of info being uncovered as the cars frequently move interstate through wholesalers - there have also been occassions where the odometer has, mysteriously, run backwards!!

As for price......that is like trying to catch a cloud - it depends on so many things (whether seller is desperate, how many on the market at that time, the condition etc etc).

You have already found that the big ticket item has been done but the SVX's, at that age, also begin to:

-their visors begin to droop (ask JDW-SVX how much he paid for them as he bought mine before I left for London although mine weren't drooping - NO RUDE COMMENTS ON THAT STATEMENT!!!!
-the climate control computer will begin to play up - you can make a price adjustment on that - there are some self test codes you can run on it
-transmission mounts and bearings (especially bearings) can begin to act up

Also, check that all window switches function (quite expensive for what they are to buy from Subaru) and if the windshield has any cracks or damage, figure for between $1500 and $2000 depending on what dealer/glass supplier you go to (it is ex-Japan)

I would also check if it had a towbar fitted; whether there is water leakage into the boot (have seen a few with this - don't mistake this with condensation in the rear lights as that is normal)

For what its worth, it took just under 2 years for me to find one that I was happy with and if I had my time back again, I would still have bought that car - only sold it since my wife and I are in Europe for a working holiday for a while and was not practical or cost effective to ship the car here and I could not leave it sitting for that long.

In short, if its a good example (full books, low k's, body and interior in good order) prepare to pay a fair amount - as k's climb, condition declines etc, then the price drops - same as any other car.

Good luck with it - they are an incredible car and I am seriously considering buying one while I am over here.

James

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 10-04-2004, 04:12 PM
it's ruby red - not burgundy!!

Registered SVX
Everything that James said is absolutely correct, but I would like to add that due to the SVXs substantial weight, the brake discs can warp very easily.

In fact, I found that ALL FOUR brake discs were warped on my SVX when I bought it! Rather than machining them, I decided to replace all four discs, and fit a new set of semi-metallic heavy-duty brake pads.

As well, James mentioned the fact that the sun visors are prone to droop (ask moshols vx about that), but something that occurs even more often is that the wiring for the illuminated vanity mirror inside the sun visor will split (and sometimes short out) where it passes through the hinge.

That was the main reason that I bought two new visors (at around $350 each!), because the wiring on both visors had broken.

Finally, it is crucial that any SVX you are considering has a FULL SERVICE HISTORY! I believe this is important for any used car, but for an SVX, it is essential!

Jason.

1992 Ruby Red SVX - 165,000km

....now with sequential VIN numbers!

1986 Holden (Isuzu) Piazza Turbo - 225,000km

1993 Mercedes W140 S500 Coupe - 153,000km

1990 Mercedes W124 300D - 313,000km

EG33 + 4EAT + VTD AWD = SVX
Old 10-04-2004, 04:23 PM
it's ruby red - not burgundy!!

Registered SVX
CarSales.com.au Ad

I have looked at the ad from carsales.com.au, and I find it very odd that the photo of the engine bay does NOT correspond to the car being sold!

Have a close look at that photo, and you will see that the brake fluid tank and master cylinder is on the wrong side of the car!

That photo was obviously of a USDM LHD model!

I have no idea why the seller put that photo in - as all of the other photos seem to be accurate!

Jason.

1992 Ruby Red SVX - 165,000km

....now with sequential VIN numbers!

1986 Holden (Isuzu) Piazza Turbo - 225,000km

1993 Mercedes W140 S500 Coupe - 153,000km

1990 Mercedes W124 300D - 313,000km

EG33 + 4EAT + VTD AWD = SVX
Old 10-04-2004, 09:17 PM

they have replied to me about the engine phote the other day, and sent me one of the actual item...

the windscreen is fine, but FS*K me, thats a fair bit to replace

i had a littrle chuckle at the sun visor thread, but damned exspensive

also the brakes have been upgraded also

they dont have a full service history, log books on a few of the services its had, but thats it, hes had it for about a year and kept record of eveything hes done since then
Old 10-04-2004, 10:46 PM
ex SVX owner - still keen tho

For sale and in Bris

Rob
If your looking in Brisbane then perhaps have a look at this I have for sale

See my add in Drive.com.au, then if you want give me call on the contact number, the car you referred to @ carsales doesn't appear to be there when i looked just now but I think i know of the car [ie seen the ad for it, and if it was also cheaper than mine]..but any way if you want a look or have a chat about SVX more than happy help out

David in Bris
Old 10-05-2004, 03:15 AM

i dont know where the add has gone
still for sale, owners will have it up again soon, sorry :S
Old 10-05-2004, 03:30 AM

dave : little pricey buddy.. kinda wanna stay under 15-17K
v-nice car though
Old 10-05-2004, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by berger
dave : little pricey buddy.. kinda wanna stay under 15-17K
v-nice car though
berger,

don' know if this one is still for sale but Mulgrave is a lot closer to Yarrum than Brisbane

Reece
Old 10-05-2004, 06:11 AM
the Flying Member

Send a message via AIM to pylon500 Send a message via Yahoo to pylon500 Send a message via Skype™ to pylon500
Quote:
for sale in Mulgrave
G'Day Berger,
Just want to try and beat the crowd in pointing out;

THE WHEELS ARE ON BACKWARDS!!
Hey in all honesty it probably makes bugger-all difference, but the purists just love to point this out!
Actually I've had described the 'fan' effect of the rims buy a mate whom I was cashing down a long hill with the setting sun behind us.
As I closed on the rear of his WRX, I had to use some pretty heavy braking and as he was watching his mirrors, he said he could see these large heat plumes eminating from each wheel arch.
Been thinking I must arrange to go back to that hill with a crew and try to photograph this.
Arthur.
'04 Liberty B Spec 3.0R wagon-Silver
'02 Outback 2.5 wagon-White For Sale

I Don't Drive Fast, I Just Fly Low!!
I've moved to Taree , check out my progress at Picasaweb.

That's a 'V' in SVX dammit!
Old 10-05-2004, 05:06 PM

some cheapies

try aurotrader.com.au, there 2 in bris that are in your price bracket, one I've seen around the traps up here its a bit of a 'roughy' around the edges with high ks...there was another one up here that was tri colour grey early model high ks [on drive.com.au I think] and the ad said it had expensive sports exhaust fitted ..they were asking reasonable money for that ..it seems that there are plenty of 92s and 93s around [with high ks] in the lower price bracket your shooting for...
david
Old 10-05-2004, 05:43 PM

Bargain !!? in Sydney

Hey try this one this would appear to be great value
SUBARU, SVX, Luxury COUPE $15,000

This car ad has been sourced from News Limited newspapers. Please see ad description for details on contacting the seller.
Price $15,000
Year
Make SUBARU
Model SVX
Badge Luxury
Series
Body COUPE
Transmission
Engine
Kilometres
Colour
Registration
VIN
Stock # 2014705V2
Description
SUBARU SVX SUBARU SVX BARGAIN 1995 Luxury Coupe Green $15,000 Sunroof, cruise control leather, alarm, power steering, air etc etc 104,000kms Ph: 9743-3103 ZLD908
Source The Daily Telegraph Published: 17-SEP-04

[So a dealer selling, really good Ks [log books ?], newer year =dual airbags etc, check my locker if you want for the colour green it should be, and probably offerring a national warranty..the price is right..very right
this is where i found it, I just copied the link
http://search.carsguide.news.com.au/...ws&showsel=off

Good Luck
David
Old 10-06-2004, 08:32 AM

you guys have been great, giving me a few cars to choose from...

the green $15000 one posted above me sounds awesome... might have to check it out, call the number tomorow maybe, i'll see if i have time

thanks heaps
Old 10-07-2004, 01:48 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Is that green one based in Sydney??

Anyone going to check it out?? There were not many SVX's in that colour and year and the price seems a bit out of whack - would be interesting to know the history and condition of it and we can add it to the list.

A wee bit impractical for me to have a look (12,500km trip each way!!) - I like SVX's but not that much

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 10-07-2004, 07:39 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by berger
you guys have been great, giving me a few cars to choose from...

the green $15000 one posted above me sounds awesome... might have to check it out, call the number tomorow maybe, i'll see if i have time

thanks heaps
Yes mate that one looks good. 95 models have all the gear box problems fixed. Same model and mileage as my own. I would go fo that one.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.