Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-02-2001, 10:37 PM

Question Bought a '92 TODAY! But...

There are several things wrong with it. Hopefully I can get some advice on whether I should attempt to fix them myself or take them to the dealer or independent Sube mechanic. Also, if anyone has the prices for the parts and labor involved that would be a great help in knowing if I'm getting ripped off. So here goes the list:

Trans mount broken (& should I go with the OEM part or after-market brand?)

No ATF filter (should I go with the OEM I can get installed free from the dealer?) (installed in series or parallel?)

No trans cooler (what brand?) (should it be installed in parallel or series?) (and where exactly on the car should it be mounted?)

None of the buttons light up on the tape player/radio half. But the LCD screen where the radio station frequency is displayed lights up. The buttons do light up on the CD player half.

The Security button does not light up. Alarm does not arm itself. (the previous owner bought 2 new remotes but never programmed them and my attempt to reprogram them failed even though I tried several times, pushing the Security button in and out) I did read a thread here about the removal of the Glove Compartment to get to the Alarm unit but thought it might take several hours to do and risk breaking something in the process. Any opinions on that?

Thanks for all your help in advance!

Curly
Old 10-02-2001, 10:59 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Bought a '92 TODAY! But...

Quote:
Originally posted by curlykicker
There are several things wrong with it. Hopefully I can get some advice on whether I should attempt to fix them myself or take them to the dealer or independent Sube mechanic. Also, if anyone has the prices for the parts and labor involved that would be a great help in knowing if I'm getting ripped off. So here goes the list:

Trans mount broken (& should I go with the OEM part or after-market brand?)

No ATF filter (should I go with the OEM I can get installed free from the dealer?) (installed in series or parallel?)

No trans cooler (what brand?) (should it be installed in parallel or series?) (and where exactly on the car should it be mounted?)

None of the buttons light up on the tape player/radio half. But the LCD screen where the radio station frequency is displayed lights up. The buttons do light up on the CD player half.

The Security button does not light up. Alarm does not arm itself. (the previous owner bought 2 new remotes but never programmed them and my attempt to reprogram them failed even though I tried several times, pushing the Security button in and out) I did read a thread here about the removal of the Glove Compartment to get to the Alarm unit but thought it might take several hours to do and risk breaking something in the process. Any opinions on that?

Thanks for all your help in advance!

Curly
Curly,
Welcome to the club. Good grief, you don't do much in the way of an introduction before jumping in with both feet, do you? Just kidding. Welcome, and we're glad you're here.

The tranny mount-- go with OE, they're not that expensive, relatively and you want to be ensured a good fit.

The ATF filter is a factory program unit and is only about 12 bucks with shipping. there's a picture of where the unit is installed in my personal locker. Check it out. There's no choice between parallel or series here, it goes in only one way.

A lot of folks are doing the B&M cooler. I'm running a Tru-Cool, which looks exactly like the B&M both visually and in design. Mine is mounted in front of the AC condensor at the bottom, behind the front air dam. Many are installing between the condensor and the radiator. You'll have to decide best fit. My tranny rebuilder recommended installing in parallel -- some bypass the stock cooler altogether -- installing in series is pretty much the least favored installation.

There are people on this board who have installed all of the above, from which you can draw knowledge. The most complicated will be the tranny mount, but should be easily installed by an independent shop.

You can easily check parts prices and even order online if you go here:

http://www.subaruparts.com/diag/?model=2

They're about the most reasonable parts prices I've found. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask if you need help.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 10-03-2001, 03:20 AM

Some good advice. Some more questions.

Aredubjay,

Thanks for the quick reply! Sorry for the lack of introduction. You all can see my updated info now.

I tried the Subaru parts website but couldn't find the trans mount anywhere. I've been quoted $180 to get it installed (part & labor).

I was also quoted $265 for parts and labor to get the trans filter and cooler installed (from an independent shop). Although I'm probably going to get the filter done for free at the dealer. Then the cooler done else where.

Do you think those prices are reasonable?

And I'll be showing the mechanic your paragraph about the cooler installation.

Oh, and any comments on the radio button lights or the alarm system?

Thanks,

Curly
Old 10-03-2001, 08:22 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Some good advice. Some more questions.

Quote:
Aredubjay,

Thanks for the quick reply! Sorry for the lack of introduction. You all can see my updated info now.

I tried the Subaru parts website but couldn't find the trans mount anywhere. I've been quoted $180 to get it installed (part & labor).

I was also quoted $265 for parts and labor to get the trans filter and cooler installed (from an independent shop). Although I'm probably going to get the filter done for free at the dealer. Then the cooler done else where.

Do you think those prices are reasonable?

And I'll be showing the mechanic your paragraph about the cooler installation.

Oh, and any comments on the radio button lights or the alarm system?

Thanks,

Curly
Curly,
Glad to help. My radio lights do the exact same thing -- although the radio lights are intermittent in their operation. I'm planning on switching units (I have a spare stock unit) to see if that helps the problem.

My cooler was around 65 bucks and it cost 75 bucks (I think) to install. The filter was around 12, and I can't remember the labor cost, but your quote sounds a little steep to me. If you can get the filter done free -- go for it.

If your security button doesn't light up at all, then, I'm afraid your unit is kaput, but that's just a guess. Perhaps, if you pull it, and clean the contacts and the little "spring thingy" inside the box, you may be able to revive it. It's a small PITA to remove and replace it, but, it's nice to have.

Oh, and do a search on the tranny mount in the Yahoo archive. KuoH3 has replaced his and has pix and the whole nine yards (including part # I believe).

Hope you get it all worked out. One fellow on the board paid 750.00 for his SVX and has done extensive repairs, but, has still not paid what most of us have paid. So, if you got it for a reasonable price, don't feel too bad about making a few repairs.

Best of luck.
Subaru Ambassador

Last edited by Aredubjay; 10-03-2001 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-03-2001, 08:46 AM
oneothefewproud

Curly,

Glad to be of service. Lets get together with acouple of the other guys out here. The guy Randy is speaking of is Ryan. "Nvrmore"

He has his own website and his How-To's are very good.

There is also a new personal locker that is being populated with How-to's and that locker is called "How-To's"

Check there for things and as you see other good how-to's ask permission of the author and lets get them in there. What a great idea. Hey who thought of it?

Happy SVXing.

Ciao
Wayne
Old 10-03-2001, 08:49 AM

Registered SVX
Curly, are these the mounts you're talking about?

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/kuoh3/...c=bc%26.view=l
Subaru Ambassador

Old 10-03-2001, 09:45 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Re: Bought a '92 TODAY! But...

Quote:
I tried several times, pushing the Security button in and out
Curly
I can tell you that "rapid" is the word to get the system set for reprograming. The unit may be bad but I have done the reprogram on my system and one has to be really quick with the button. I guess there is no little light bulb for replacement in the security switch button?
Old 10-03-2001, 09:54 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Bought a '92 TODAY! But...

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter

I can tell you that "rapid" is the word to get the system set for reprograming. The unit may be bad but I have done the reprogram on my system and one has to be really quick with the button. I guess there is no little light bulb for replacement in the security switch button?
The security switch light (the flashing one) is an LED. There is a bulb, but, it's just for the illumination of the word "Security."
Subaru Ambassador

Old 10-03-2001, 10:00 AM
oneothefewproud

security switch light

Randy,

I am 95% certain that mine also has an LED on it. I wil check today but am fairly certain.

I will check.

Wayne

PS. I have been known to be wrong before. Once maybe twice.
Old 10-04-2001, 03:21 PM

Smile Repair update

Aredubjay,

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you. I've been doing a lot of research lately. I think that pic is correct, but I'm not positive. The part number that I got form the dealer is #41022PA081. I noticed on that diagram that there was a slightly different number listed. The price from the dealer is $110 and it's $82.20 from SubaruParts.com.

I've also narrowed down the search for replacement front speakers. I'm getting Polk EX602A's. Supposed to be very clear and accurate and the best for the money. I'm adding a sub in the trunk.

Today I'm going to attempt to pull the Alarm control module and clean it with contact cleaner. Also, I'm going to try and adjust the radio cover so that it's perfectly aligned.

Last night I shrunk a bunch of heat shrinkable tubing around my driver's side visor attatchment. And today I'm going to reattatch the severed wires so that the vanity mirror light works.

Also, last night I finally figured out why I've got some binding when I turn slowly. I've got different tires on the front and back. But boy does that binding feel awefull. It could be the broken Trans mount that is contributing to it too.

Thanks for all your help fellas,

Curly
Old 10-04-2001, 03:25 PM

Oh BTW,

The Alarm Control Module was replaced in '94 under a Subaru recall, roughly 100k miles ago. They said that the recall should've fixed the initial problem and they won't fix it again. What a load of BS! Subaru isn't going to be another Mitsubishi are they? (I've had some serious problems with Mitsubishi in the past)

Curly
Old 10-04-2001, 04:16 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Hay, You are making progress with your car. Best of luck . I also just replaced my driver visor, again. It lasted about a year. I went the electrical tape route this time.

For what it may be worth, I remember a post about there being a battery in the alarm unit. After replacing the battery it worked again. That post also mentioned the antenna not being stretched out. I cranked up the sensitivity on the shock alarm.
Old 10-04-2001, 05:03 PM
oneothefewproud

LED on the Security Switch

Randy,

yes mine has an LED on the switch. It blinks when the alarm is on.

Ciao
Wayne
Old 10-04-2001, 06:58 PM

Question Removing the alarm control unit

Well, I got back in there finally and figured out that it was REMOVED!!! I first took out the Cruise Control unit thinking that that was it. But as I looked further I could see where it used to be, mounted next to the CC unit, on the black tube. There's a big plug there that's been synched up to the tube with a tie and duck-taped over. Looks kinda unprofessional.

So, where in the hell is this little bugger!?!?!? I did find out through Subaru that it was "fixed" in '94 through their recall. So is it possible that they moved it to somewhere else? Would it be where the newer SVX's have theirs installed? If so, where would that be?

Thanks,

Curly
Old 10-04-2001, 08:17 PM

Registered SVX
Well, that would explain the lack of the blinking light. I wouldn't think they'd re-install it in the other area, since they'd also have to reroute the wiring for it, but, you can look. The later model SVXes security system was mounted in the rear deck. You'd have to get into the trunk and drop the liner where the speakers are. There are several electrical components there and that is where the unit would be on the newer models. Sounds like someone just removed it.
Subaru Ambassador