Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 01-17-2004, 02:21 PM
Headed to Texas...

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow248

...and you end up with comments like that. You're right, there is a reason that they are populating junkyards, but if you'd think about it for ten seconds, you'd realize that you're reasoning for it was just ignorant (to borrow a word from an old network friend of mine). Both the lumina and cavalier sell at a rate of well over 100,000 cars per year. Subaru is lucky to reach that number if it includes it's entire line. THAT, my friend, is the reason that there are so many cavi's and luminas...etc in junkyards. if a particular car outsells another car 10 to 1, you can figure that you'll see a 10 to 1 ratio in the junkyard too.

Yeah they're junk...well more than 100,000 people a year seem to disagree with you on both counts.
WRONG, Cavalier breath! I DID think about it for more than 10 seconds...but seriously, it didn't rquire much more than a minute

Believe me, ignorance is not in short supply, just look at that 10 to 1 ratio and my argument is supported. You honestly think that even a brand new Cavalier/Lumina/ et al compared to a brand new Subaru is not to be called "junk"?

"Go with the Subaru"

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 01-17-2004, 07:22 PM
Superbeast

Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark

ah, the "numbers can't be wrong" arguement.

if that's the case then-

McDonald's has the best food
Dell makes the best computers
Britney Spears makes the best music

then again, i'm not a tool that follows the dim-witted masses.

i'd say if you live where there is snow, the older Subaru may be the better choice. i've owned a Lumina, and my wife had a Cavalier. total junk. cheap parts that break often.

Hay! whats wrong with Dells?

And Britney looks good

McD's uses white meat in their nuggets now. What did they use before

I had my dad replace the 88Bronco II with a $1000 90 Legacy. Best swap you could ever make.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 01-17-2004, 08:34 PM
I have a problem. :(

Send a message via AIM to shelfy Send a message via Yahoo to shelfy
Registered SVX
i am slowly convincing my family members to replace their crappy GMs and Fords with Subarus!

1997 Subaru SVX LSi "Svetlana" #185 of 640 - 09/1996 - Polo Green Pearl - 34k miles

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Everett" #8738 - 01/1992 - Ebony Pearl - 139k miles - 5MT shifty - Sold 07/31/2011

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Sven" #1599 - 05/1991 - Claret - 168k miles - Traded 05/11/2005

2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal White Pearl - 2.8k miles
2021 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited CVT - Horizon Blue Pearl - 17k miles
2023 Volkswagen Jetta S 6MT - Pure White - 2.6k miles
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Limited EV - Ceramic White - 30k miles
Old 01-17-2004, 11:02 PM
Unstoppable

Yes, after what this damn POS car has put me through, I don't think I'm going to be buying anything domestic for a while, or a Mitsubishi either. I'm sticking with Subaru, Toyota, Honda, BMW, etc. Just today a simple oil change to swap out for 5W30 (since its usually in the single digits during the days) turned into tearing the whole head apart to get at the lifters/lash adjusters. $100 later the back bank is all new, and the front is going to be replaced with the best of the old ones. My car's reliability has been questionable at best. I have a feeling it would make an SVX look like a Civic in reliability terms at this point. And no, I will not get a cavy or a lumina. I still have some respect for myself .

I may be looking to pick up a SVX as a winter car next year, depending on what I can find in the under $2000 range. For my Spring/Summer/Fall car I plan on buying an e30 M3 if I can find one. Plus I have the MR2, so I will have it made. Now I need to figure out how to pay for all the insurance

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
-George Carlin
Old 01-17-2004, 11:09 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
I should have gone into advertising. I can see now why it's such a popular field. All that...and someone had the nerve to call ME a tool?! How ironic is that...who's following the masses here? Obviously not me...I am apparently the only one on this site who has not been hypnotized by foreign car makers.

But then as they say, go ahead and buy your foreign cars...leaves more domestics for me to choose from. While you are all working 10-12 hour days 6 days a week to pay for the repairs on your "reliable" cars, i'll be in Vegas enjoying life on the money I saved with my american cars...and to top it off I will have contributed to the health of the greatest country in the world...mine. Now there's something that is in short supply today...people who actually support the land that supports them.

God bless America, and it's cars.
Old 01-17-2004, 11:09 PM

Oh...this is a subaru site?

My bad.
Old 01-18-2004, 07:33 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by Subafreak

Hay! whats wrong with Dells?

And Britney looks good

McD's uses white meat in their nuggets now. What did they use before

I had my dad replace the 88Bronco II with a $1000 90 Legacy. Best swap you could ever make.
if you had unlimited funds to spend on a computer, would you buy a Dell? nuttin wrong with them - they're popular, but not the best.

Britney looks good, agreed. you a big fan of her music?

now McDonald's uses Soylent Green.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 01-18-2004, 07:38 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
An 80's spfi subaru will be reliable and will start every time.

Anything that breaks will be dirt cheap to fix and you'd be able to work on it yourself.

The engine will run until the motor mounts and body have rusted so much it drops out of the car.

You'll have to replace alternators($70), radiators ($100), brakes ($15), timing belts($50diy-$200dlr), and oil ($19.99).

You won't have to shovel your driveway.

I come from a family of suby owners - most of them over the 200k mark, including 2 I have pushed over the mark myself.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 01-18-2004, 08:39 AM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark

McDonald's has the best food
I prefer a california chardonnay with my chicken mcnuggets.

Mike
Old 01-18-2004, 08:42 AM
Green1995SVX

My neighbors snow blower and his cavalier sound pretty much the same. Cooincidence? I think not...

m

PS- My cavalier is a piece of sh!t.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:06 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX

I prefer a california chardonnay with my chicken mcnuggets.

Mike
any well-dressed young man would. that Grey Poupon you keep chilled in your glove compartment might also be nice with McNuggets.

Old 01-18-2004, 11:22 AM

Quote:
originally posted by Landshark
i've owned a Lumina, and my wife had a Cavalier. total junk. cheap parts that break often.
That's funny, I can think of another car that most of the people on this site own that breaks alot. I forever hear members complaining about transmission problems, bad wheel bearings, quirky power steering...etc...and they always have to pay so much to get it fixed. Cavaliers and Luminas have no recurrent transmission issues and i've never heard of anyone replacing wheel bearings on those cars. Just stuff like alternators and windshield wiper motors. Yeah, your right, total junk. Who wants a car with problems that can be fixed in your own driveway on a sunny afternoon for $50, when you can have a car that requires you to take out a loan to fix it's transmission every 10,000 miles?

But again I forget...i'm on a subaru site...they'll never learn.
Old 01-18-2004, 12:19 PM
Hater

Quote:

That's funny, I can think of another car that most of the people on this site own that breaks alot. I forever hear members complaining about transmission problems, bad wheel bearings, quirky power steering...etc...and they always have to pay so much to get it fixed. Cavaliers and Luminas have no recurrent transmission issues and i've never heard of anyone replacing wheel bearings on those cars. Just stuff like alternators and windshield wiper motors. Yeah, your right, total junk. Who wants a car with problems that can be fixed in your own driveway on a sunny afternoon for $50, when you can have a car that requires you to take out a loan to fix it's transmission every 10,000 miles?

SVX: bad coil pack, $75? that's all. transmission shifts like a new one at 65,000 miles. trans fluid rarely exceeds 185 degrees. original bearings, quiet.

Lumina: bad engine computer, transmission blew up (literally), endless brake problems (got GM lawsuit settlement papers after selling car), alternator, a stalling problem that took four trips to the dealer to correct (i can't even remember what the final fix was), paint that was oxidized and flaked so badly that i eventually quit washing it, cruise control worked 1 out of 10 tries, and more. i wish i knew you when i was selling it - you would have loved it.

enjoy your GTP while it lasts - my brother-in-law's 2001 Gran Prix has been to the dealer on a regular basis.

Old 01-18-2004, 12:39 PM
Headed to Texas...

Quote:

So keep your GM domestic iron Shadow...jeeez...
I guess you'll be trading your SVX on a junker Lumina any day now, right?
All I can say for sure is the proof is in the pudding. My '93 Legacy has about 190,000 on it and no, I haven't had to fix it in the driveway for $50 on a sunny afternoon - I've just been driving it.
My knowlege of comparable '93 Luminas and Cavaliers isn't that great because there aren't that many that I know of running 10 years later, they're mostly sitting around junk yards.
But yeah they are great parts resources if you need them.

Hell yes this is a Subaru site!

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 01-18-2004, 02:23 PM

I've been over this 25,000 times it seems...but no one ever gets the point. I'll do it again for you fellas.

1992 SVX LS-L 135k. Mandi has had it for just over two years...in that time here are the repairs that have been done.

New pads and rotors all around $800
Left bank coil packs replaced $450
Two new starters (still not fixed) $400
Front catalytic converters replaced $750
Rear wheel bearings $300 (and they're going again)
Power steering rack replaced $450
Front crank seal $300
Timing belts $300
Three 4-wheel alignments $240
Rear struts and mounts replaced $550
Transmission mount replaced $260

Now that's just mechanical...(since I always hear complaining about poor GM interior quality) in the interior there are problems too.

Both doors sound like a can full of nails when closed.
driver's window needs external motivation to operate.
cigarette lighter lights up but refuses to work (fuse is fine).
visors (nuff said).
rear driver's quarter glass leaks.
rear defroster works sometimes.

1994 Grand Prix GTP 125k. I've had this car for about two and a half years now. Here are the repairs that have been done.

Lower Intake replaced $500
Timing belts $400
Heavy duty Alternator $300
intake vacuum hose $6
Power steering feed line $25

I will also include upcoming repairs that I have not done yet, but will need to be done.

Wiper stalk (works intermittently) $75
Sunroof motor (also works intermittently)$60

Interior:

Drivers door is beginning to sound like can of nails when closed.
Light for headlight control panel works intermittently.

Now if you compare these two cars, the picture is a bit different eh? I've heard of lot's of problems with the 97-98 GTPs...but after that those cars rated better than most foreign cars. There will always be problem cars for every make and model...i really believe mandi's car is just a bad example... but i'm just pointing out that it works both ways. My aunt (mom's side) had such bad luck with her two imprezas that she bought a VW Jetta...and now is so fed up with that, that she is looking at Grand Prixs (my recommendation, of course). My dad's former truck, a 1996 GMC Yukon (120k), which he bought new, NEVER had ANY work done other than regular maintenance and a seatbelt recall. His Brother swears by hondas...but always seems to be driving a loaner (funny stories there). So for everyone with a horror story about a GM, Ford, or Chrysler, there is someone with an equally bad story about a subaru, honda, toyota, nissan...etc. It's simply a case where the foreign car makers have managed to create and exploit an image that really isn't true.

For those who are wondering...I certainly don't expect the members of a foreign car forum to turn around and say "let's all sell our subarus for chevys". Of course not. But i'm here to make sure that you keep your eyes open to reality, and put behind you that image that was created by your beloved car makers, cause it's a hoax just like it always has been.

Last edited by Shadow248; 01-18-2004 at 02:29 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: