Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under

Old 07-01-2003, 08:04 AM
SVX- Best kept secret...

The best accessory of all time

Well, I saw it on the TV tonight, and no doubt about it, I just gots ta get me some. It is a spray which is applied to number plates which when 'flashed' by a speed camera light or red light camera, simply creates a dazzle effect which renders the photo of the plate unreadable. Now before I create a stir from the law abiding motorists among us, I would just like to say - too bad, I want some.
It is an American product but the name escapes me. Anyone know? Comes in a red spray can and can be purchased via the net. Cost? But worth every cent.

BTW, when a plate has been sprayed, it is virtually undetectable and therefore should not attract a ticket for 'obscure number plate' unless the police officer has 'superman' vision. The RTA and govt are rightfully worried about this product as it could seriously affect revenues. Which prompts me to feel as follows:

I think this sums up my feelings, as I am not one to use smilies in my posts.

Cheers, Mark.
Old 07-01-2003, 09:13 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
LMFAO! It may be great for obscuring the license plate number to a camera, but I bet its great for reflecting a laser beam from a laser radar detector. How about just not running a front plate? Can't get away with that? What about getting a radar detector?

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 07-01-2003, 10:28 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Actually, the "best" accessory is a beautiful woman sitting in the front passenger seat beside you. Believe me, that's better than anything that comes in a spray can.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 07-01-2003, 04:46 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
I recall a Current Affair or other such program doing an expose on that spray sometime last year - apparently a) it does not work and b) is remarkably similar to hairspray!!

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 07-01-2003, 08:18 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryIII
Actually, the "best" accessory is a beautiful woman sitting in the front passenger seat beside you. Believe me, that's better than anything that comes in a spray can.

Yeah, Baldy, & if Rosie catches you with a hottie sittin' there, you got some 'splainin to do!

Oh, wait.....Rosie's the BEAUTIFUL one. Opps!

Never mind.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 07-02-2003, 07:59 AM
SVX- Best kept secret...

G'Day Larry III and Ron, re: radar detector- well in NSW Aust it is pretty costly if you get caught using one(Police use Radar Detector- Detectors!). In so far as removing a front plate, well this only works if the camera snaps you from the front, which I understand is not the norm here- mostly (if not all)rear of car photographs taken by the cameras. Further you run the risk of getting a ticket for not display number plate. That is why I thought that spray was a nifty idea. Little chance of getting caught. BUT as James points out, it is not much good. Oh Well, will have to go back to the accessory you suggested Larry. I am sure I have got one of those somewhere around here.....
Old 07-02-2003, 05:24 PM
Green1995SVX

I have a clear plastic cover over the plate on my cavalier that has a sort of holographic quality to it. At extreme angles it makes the license plate unreadable. I got it from ebay. I'm not sure what it's called.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p7270038.jpg (53.2 KB, 170 views)
Old 08-08-2003, 05:31 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
But we shouldn't have to worry about that though because we never speed right??

They are doubling the amount of cameras here this year.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:10 PM

Lil' Mirrors

A long long time ago somewhere in Europe they would spray hair spray upon their number plates and then speed where ever they went and Lo and Behold 3 months later they would get mail from their ever so friendly local constable inviting them to come along to their local Police station and give the Sergeant there lots and lots of money and their licence.....

The reflective number plate idea has been around for as long as the various types of speed and red light camera's. Much the same myth as the Truckies vibrating radiator grills supposedly upseting the speed camera.

One that may work, who wants to be the first to try, is an Italian idea of placing two small mirrors on the number plates which when the camera flashes reflects the light accross the plate and makes it impossible to read. There might be trouble trying this in the daytime tho'.

Another theory is that the speed guns n' camera's are set for vehicles travelling below 170 Kmph.. I think what happens then is that instead of being booked for travelling at 200 Kmph they get you for travelling in excess of 170.

If anyone has any success with any trick, let us know.
Old 08-09-2003, 02:49 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
I thought photochromatic plate covers would be good.

In the dark days of the Cold War, various aircraft had 'panels' that would, when the light from a H-bomb blast occurred, would go opaque, thereby protecting the pilots' eyes from damages

Surely this technology is now on Ebay or www.nuclearerabargains.com

Mr Plod would never know unless he 'tested' your plates by flashing them!!

There is a photo on the Net of a car that was caught speeding but, across the exact location the number plate, a bird is seen to fly across in front of the car!!! I will try and find the link

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 08-11-2003, 10:24 AM
Phil & Belha

Lightbulb I've been thinking about this for some time

How about a more high-tech solution?

I'm thinking of a plain yellow or white backplate with an LCD screen in front of it, which displays the number.

The LCD can be made to refresh in such a way that it only displays part of the plate at any given instant. (A bit like a TV screen)

So when a human (or policeman ) looks at it they see the complete number, but when a photo is taken they only see the part of the plate that was visible for the 500th of a second when the shutter was open.

You could also easily change the number displayed, which would be ideal for secret agents or bank robbers.

If only somebody would manufacture such an item.

Phil.
Old 08-12-2003, 07:51 AM
SVX- Best kept secret...

yes you have been thinking about this for some time! now forget about it because it won't happen. the development costs alone would be v high and with a simple change to the law, it would be illegal. think i will just slow down, D'OH!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: