How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-06-2014, 08:42 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Spark plug woes

Ok after 5 years I summoned up the courage to attempt to change the plugs. I have read and followed the excellent how to documents and with a lot of cussing i managed to extract two plugs. The other near the firewall right hand side I just can't get the tools too. In fact with twiddling and this and this way and that way the coil pack binds between engine and body. No way to move it out of the way. Having removed the rubber plugs under the wheel arch and engine compatrment I find that these do not match up. They are about an inch off. Am I missing something here or is my car just wierd. I wish I hadn't started. Just a bit frustrated that such a simple task can be such a pain. Any suggestions would be most welcome.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:54 AM

Send a message via ICQ to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via AIM to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via Yahoo to ShiuludeSVX
Registered SVX
Re: Spark plug woes

I had a time of it when I first tried this, but learned that some wiggling does actually take care of the problem with the coil packs.

I also had to use a socket knuckle on both back plugs, to complete the task.
June '91 Claret LSL #1733, Enkei RS-5's x 16", Original Paint, accompanied by Beautifully speckeled Front Bumper, Sony Audio Components, Small Car Shift Kit, "How to" Hood Lifts {Perfect}, "15 Minute Suspension Mod"
Motorsport Floor Mats. Perma-Cool External T. Filter, New Front Axels {1/2008}. "Classic Radiators" unit "$36 coil alternative" and Tranny rebuild at 287k 8/2012

'05 Infinity G35 Coupe.
No Mods, 33K Miles
Old 10-06-2014, 12:40 PM
#lolsvx

Registered SVX

You'll be able to get it. Here's what I did for my first time (which was last month). For the passenger side, remove the air box fixture and you can easily get them all out. Use a small wrench to loosen the coil bolts, then untwist them by hand. Once free, the coil will pull out. Pull out the first one, then pull out the one behind that, then the one closest to the firewall. You will not be able to get that last one out unless the middle one is out, fyi. For the driver side, the first two can be removed easily with just taking the battery out. The last one is very tight, but with a 12mm wrench you will get it. Taking it out is a pain and awkward as hell, but you MUST take it out through the middle coil. You're going to have a nightmare trying to remove it with that middle coil in. As far as plugs go, just get a ratchet with a small extension and a spark plug socket. They'll all come out.

Tips (again):

- don't try this without first removing the battery and the entire air box (the maf back can be wedged behind the washer fluid tank)

- don't even attempt removing the furthest back coils until you remove the middle ones

- you don't need to go through the wheel arch. it's just going to add a level of stress

Tools needed:

a 12mm wrench for the coil bolts, all the sockets for removing the air tank (I think they're all 12 and 14mm, but don't quote me on it), ratchet, extension, spark plug socket.
STi Airlift Performance air suspension
2005 WRX manual swap
Rear wheel drive
K-Staff front bumper
Delta Speed side skirts
JDM clear corners
Smallcar grille
Subaru XT steering wheel
Subaru XT shift knob

First bagged SVX in the world
Worlds first SVX on air suspension.
Custom made (by myself) spare tire subwoofer.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:37 PM

Registered SVX

Done them many times on UK/JDM Svx's, 1/4" drive ratchet and short bars with swivelly adaptor works good for me, never had to go through the hole in inner wing.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:10 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX

I am not sure about access holes for all the plugs. I only know of one access hole on the driver side, and it lines up. That was the only one I used, the others I took out from above. Try to losen the plugs with a ratchet, then finish removing then by hand. That is how I did them. Some spots are tight, but can be done. Good luck.

Subaru SVX for fun
Hyundai Veracruz for the wife.
Susuki SX4 for my older son
Ford Ranger for work
Mercedes Benz Sprinter for vacation trips,
EZ GO Golf cart for driving kids around gated community.

Last edited by dannmarr; 10-07-2014 at 08:21 AM.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:52 PM

Registered SVX

So I'm not the only one with spark plug access ports that don't line up?

96 Polo Green - Daily Driver
92 Teal Green - Restoration in progress
Old 11-01-2014, 03:31 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

As the song says. With a little help from my friends. Thank you all for the helpful encouragement to get the plugs done. With the right tools I completed the task today and even the difficult one was changed with comparative ease. In fact the difficult bit was putting the coil pack back on. The hint of a quarter inch ratchet and short extension was the answer. Didn't have to do the arch plug thing. So feeling pretty smug with 6 new platinum plugs duly installed. So many thanks once again to the knowledge and enthusiasm of the group.