SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-26-2012, 07:44 PM
work in progress

Send a message via AIM to LastSVXintheChi
Registered SVX
self rust removal

so today i decided to be productive and get rid of some of the rust on my car. i went to autozone and got some 40 grit sand paper, paint, and primer. Well they didnt have the right color so i got a toyota green that was the closet i could find and a dark grey primer.

got home got the drill out attached the wheel and sand paper and went to work.

here are some pictures before

this part was actually really bad im probably gonna need a new fender

in my drivers side door i found out that my car actually was in an accident that was never reported because this rust started where someone drilled holes to use a slide hammer (they also didnt use the right color lol)

and then this giant dent

and the after...i actually couldnt use the paint cus it was too cold so right now i have dark grey spots all over but at least it will stop the rust

i have no experience what so ever in this area so if you have any suggestions i will gladly take them because i will probably try to do some more little fixes on it as well. ill pay someone to paint the whole thing

1992 dark teal SVX LS
Old 02-26-2012, 08:18 PM

Registered SVX
Re: self rust removal

You should be able to bang out much of the dent from inside the trunk. You didn't stop the rust just covered it. You need to remove it down to the bear metal. There are a lot of new body fillers( epoxie based ) that can fill it. Prep is important. Smooth is important. Good luck...
Old 02-26-2012, 09:28 PM
work in progress

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conn SVX View Post
You should be able to bang out much of the dent from inside the trunk. You didn't stop the rust just covered it. You need to remove it down to the bear metal. There are a lot of new body fillers( epoxie based ) that can fill it. Prep is important. Smooth is important. Good luck...
i did take it down to bare metal those pictures are just what it looked like without the paint over the rust...i painted it after i went to the metal

oh and thanks for the tip about the trunk

1992 dark teal SVX LS

Last edited by LastSVXintheChi; 02-27-2012 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:18 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

A good product I was told about for removing rust is Naval jelly. You can find it at most hardware stores. While I never got to try it as my Silver was sideswiped while parked damaging the door that was starting to rust, I was told about it by a friend who knows a little about body work. It basically disolves the rust away chemically. You leave it on for about 10-15 min I believe after using a wire wheel or similar to get any actual "flakes" of rust. Then it washes away with water.

BTW, I do actually have some teal body parts, I'll double check the condition, but could make the car look a bit better without needing paint for awhile. PM or text me if you like.

Other than that, at least you're doing something to try and stop it.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:59 AM
work in progress

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
A good product I was told about for removing rust is Naval jelly. You can find it at most hardware stores. While I never got to try it as my Silver was sideswiped while parked damaging the door that was starting to rust, I was told about it by a friend who knows a little about body work. It basically disolves the rust away chemically. You leave it on for about 10-15 min I believe after using a wire wheel or similar to get any actual "flakes" of rust. Then it washes away with water.

BTW, I do actually have some teal body parts, I'll double check the condition, but could make the car look a bit better without needing paint for awhile. PM or text me if you like.

Other than that, at least you're doing something to try and stop it.
i will keep that in mind lol

1992 dark teal SVX LS
Old 02-27-2012, 09:13 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

This is one of the best rust removal products available. You basically apply the gel on the rusted surface, leave it for a while then remove everything together. You will get a shiny metal surface instead.

I am trying to get it from UK for my car project.

Bilt Hamber

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.