How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-09-2008, 11:02 PM

influence of gear swap on the odometer

Hi,

there is a lot of talk about 5speed swap (thats why I am interested) and differential swap to 4.44 (for max exeleration) which makes me think how this does influence the odometer speed indicator.

As far as I understood the revolution sensor sits in the trany measuring on the output side (naturally).

The revolution measured are translated to speed, taking differential ratio and tire size into account.

Therefore if I change tire size or differential ratio the speed shown at the odometer cannot be accurate anymore, can it?

If I am right does anybody know how to compensate for it (in order to regain right reading)?

Thanks!

Marcus
Old 06-09-2008, 11:30 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Hi,

there is a lot of talk about 5speed swap (thats why I am interested) and differential swap to 4.44 (for max exeleration) which makes me think how this does influence the odometer speed indicator.

As far as I understood the revolution sensor sits in the trany measuring on the output side (naturally).

The revolution measured are translated to speed, taking differential ratio and tire size into account.

Therefore if I change tire size or differential ratio the speed shown at the odometer cannot be accurate anymore, can it?

If I am right does anybody know how to compensate for it (in order to regain right reading)?

Thanks!

Marcus
There are two speed sensors Marcus, the speedo uses the front one, that is run off the front right axle stub, that rotates at wheel speed, so the final drive ratio change won't affect it. Only tyre size.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.